Pentax Updated Pentax CSC Rumors

I agree choice is good, but it says it will take K Mount lenses, so it sounds more like a Sony A77 type (i.e. with quite a bit a depth) than the smaller, compact bodies.

It will be interesting to see, though.

I don't really know much about the pentax system, but i do know that they have a quite a few quality pancake lenses. I checked out the article and comments, It seems as if the Pentax mount has a long sensor to mount distance so even a mirrorless body will still be quite thick, any truth to that. FujiXpro, Olympus OMD, new pentax... slowly slowy getting to something great.

I was chastised for heresy on one of the Pentax forums for saying it, but I've seen this rumor too many times to give it much credence until I see it. And even if it comes to fruition, as much as I'd like to be able to use my K mount lenses, an alpha product (alpha to the entire concept) w/o a EVF would be almost entirely unattractive. It'll have to thread a needle to make me not get on a pre-order list for the XPro-1.

I've always been intrigued by Pentax's ability to make small but relatively fast lenses for APS-C sized sensors. It'll be interesting to see if Pentax can make a smaller mirrorless body to use those nice Ltd lenses while maintaining DSLR-like AF speed.

As a long-time Pentaxian (and current K-5 owner) it sounds good. And U.S. Pentax management has confirmed that some kind of mirrorless system in addition to the Q is coming this year. But I'll say this: If it doesn't have a built-in viewfinder, they can forget it as far as I am concerned. If it has a VF and also takes K-mount lenses with full functionality, fantastic. If Pentax's new mirrorless system doesn't take K-mount lenses into account, it may be time to think about putting Pentax in the past for me personally.

The one thing I'll say for this rumor is it makes sense. If this is, effectively, a stripped down K5 then any sacrifice of minimal size is worth it to keep good performance. Internal EVF is no a deal breaker for me but it would be preferable. If the given sizes are accurate, this is not a tiny body so an EVF might be possible.

Sounds a little disjointed to me. It's purported to be K-mount and then goes on to say it "comes with a new lens: DA 40mm F2.8XS". Ummm...probably Pentax's most successful pancake from it's current line is the DA40/2.8 - and married nicely with it's companion DA21 and 70mm....and it is SMALL. So why are they talking the release of an extra-small DA40/2.8 for a camera that is K-mount so can readily accept the current DA40. Makes no sense to me....unless you're a Pentax user...then, as Sue said, I can smell another Q!

I dumped my pentax 'system' in favour of a Sony NEX 3 which is light years on from the clumsy pentax dslr's and whcih will happily take all of my Canon FD lenses via an inexpensive adaptor from ebay.

Pentax are a useless company who never listen to their customers,..in 10 YEARS of making DSLR's they were unable to come up with a 24mm f2 lens,.......within months of launching the NEX models Sony announced their 24mm....... There's more to a camera system than a few 'pancake' lenses with zero ergonomy in use.

If this new 'mirrorless' camera (which HAS to happen at some point for pentax to survive) is 'K' mount then it will be less than useless to anyone without some old pentax lenses (which are getting hard to find....try looking for the old 24mm)...

.........IF,..this camera has some kind of double lens mount which can take 'K' but can also be removed to allow cheap adaptors for ANY lens, then there might be a future for pentax cameras yet!

Sounds a little disjointed to me. It's purported to be K-mount and then goes on to say it "comes with a new lens: DA 40mm F2.8XS". Ummm...probably Pentax's most successful pancake from it's current line is the DA40/2.8 - and married nicely with it's companion DA21 and 70mm....and it is SMALL. So why are they talking the release of an extra-small DA40/2.8 for a camera that is K-mount so can readily accept the current DA40. Makes no sense to me....unless you're a Pentax user...then, as Sue said, I can smell another Q!

How about a DA 40 that's optimized for video? As in silent focusing? Or perhaps WR?

I dumped my pentax 'system' in favour of a Sony NEX 3 which is light years on from the clumsy pentax dslr's and whcih will happily take all of my Canon FD lenses via an inexpensive adaptor from ebay.

Pentax are a useless company who never listen to their customers,..in 10 YEARS of making DSLR's they were unable to come up with a 24mm f2 lens,.......within months of launching the NEX models Sony announced their 24mm....... There's more to a camera system than a few 'pancake' lenses with zero ergonomy in use.

If this new 'mirrorless' camera (which HAS to happen at some point for pentax to survive) is 'K' mount then it will be less than useless to anyone without some old pentax lenses (which are getting hard to find....try looking for the old 24mm)...

.........IF,..this camera has some kind of double lens mount which can take 'K' but can also be removed to allow cheap adaptors for ANY lens, then there might be a future for pentax cameras yet!

I'll say this much: The last decade hasn't been great for Pentax. It had to crawl back from a misfire early in the digital age that nearly bankrupted them. And then they were bought by Hoya, which only wanted their medical imaging business. To Hoya's credit, they at least kept the camera division open and managed to put it in the black. But new product came very slowly. I think we have to turn a new page with ownership by Ricoh, which actually wants the Pentax camera division. What Pentax brings out with its first "serious" mirrorless camera will be a major clue as to what we can expect for the future.

As it is today, you can use most older Nikon lenses (slightly modified), and many Leica lenses & classic screw-mount lenses, with your K Mount camera, using cheap adapters, and there are probably more adapters avilable, that I am not aware of! I use my K Mount lenses on my four K Mount cameras, including a FF one, and on my NEX-5N. For those with lots of Canon lenses there is now an adapter for the NEX cameras, that even keeps the anti-shake system in the lens active!

Yeah, the Zeiss-branded Sony 24 on the NEX is nice :)! Better than the DA21, most of the time, but far bulkier.

Back