Tripods - Really Right Stuff - Quick Release Claimps and L Brackets

Xuereb

Veteran
They can be wicked and complicated little things causing frustration because perceived economies are often misleading as this tale will tell.

About a year ago the small but light FLM power release fixed on my FLM ballhead gave up its life under the weight of a Sony Nex 5N with a Nikkor F 35mm f1.4 lens. It was a cheap, lightweight release and I had underestimated the extent to which the connection between the ballhead and camera tripod screw would 'twist' under the weight of a lens. I had also underestimated the necessity (yes, it is vital) to have a proper L bracket not just for panoramas but simply to be able to mount the camera vertically and use all ballhead movements.

I could have got a replacement FLM power release but decided to save up for Really Right Stuff of which I had heard good things. In the meanwhile the Sony was sold, a Sigma DP2M came along and then Really Right Stuff took a little while to come up with an L bracket for the camera. If ever a compact camera needed a tripod it was the Sigma DP2M which I use only at iso100.

Other bills had to be paid and finally 2 weeks ago I ordered a Really Right Stuff DP2M L bracket and a quick release clamp with a lever release. I had decided on the lever release clamp over an exchange of emails with RRS who were courteous, prompt, gave excellent and clear advice. Next I needed to find some Loctite Blue. Previous experience had shown that screws worked their way loose but I was superstitious and had kept clear of using a thread locker. Much research on the internet assured me that this was safe and practical to use. I found the Loctite at a motor car repair dealer, and applied it to my ballhead and after a patient 24 hour curing period fixed the quick release clamp.

The clamp & ballhead sit atop a Feisol 3301 carbon fibre tripod. The combination works superbly. Oh the renewed joy of being able to shoot at 1/8s at f8.0!

The RRS equipment is superbly crafted. The Sigma DP2M L bracket fits the camera well and assists stability with hand held pictures because it affords a better grip with one's hands. The surface area on the L bracket as clasped by the quick release clamp is huge and all is firmly held . The quick release clamps are marvels with a spirit level, a lever release that folds out of the way and grasps the bracket with a tight grip. The Loctite is wonderful and no screws have worked their way loose. The equipment now gives enormous confidence that the camera will be absolutely still during exposure.

I heartily recommend the Really Right Stuff quick release clamp and the L bracket for the Sigma DP2M. I have found the FLM CB38F ballhead itself to be superb and reliable in use, it locks into position without moving, is smooth in action and permits quick & easy positioning.

Now all I need is a nodal rail for panoramas.

Enjoy your new stuff.

You will not need a nodal rail of panoramas unless you have a lot of foreground objects--imagine shooting inside a forest kind of thing. With a Sigma, even in a forest, I doubt you will need a rail.

In all my years of using photographic equipment, I have never known a screw to work loose.

Thanks Hikari I have never done panoramas but I do shoot in the forest often.

I get loose screws all the time. But then we often have temperature differences of 20•C between night and day here.

Back