Took a walk in Oakwood Cemetery, Troy, NY, today and saw some unusual things

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Jock Elliott, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Sometimes I felt like I was in Middle Earth.

FZ200_Oakwood_cemetery_011_Medium_.JPG

And sometimes those old-timers just told it like it is.

FZ200_Oakwood_cemetery_010_Medium_.JPG

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 5
  2. I listened to a podcast a few days ago about the varying burial rituals around the world and the great lengths we go to to preserve/memorialize those who have passed on.

Quite fascinating to think about what we do for those who have passed on.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Many cemeteries are wonderful to walk through.. I tend to still call them graveyards. My father is buried in his family's plot out in a beautiful rural area on Long Island...and my mother is in Long Island Sound...where she used to sail. Although I like to look at graveyards, I think I prefer to be gone in the wind.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I like cemeteries/graveyards because generally they feel quite peaceful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Cemeteries are special places. There's the sense of mortality, or possible immortality. The trees, small wildlife, old architecture the unexpected things...

• Like Like x 2
  6. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    My late great grandfather took me to the local cemetry almost every day until I became 5 years old and had to go to school. Later in my life, when I lived in Kathmandu, Nepal, I often visited the burning ghats next to the Pashupatinath temple complex and it didn't take me long to come to a decision.
    Needless to mention that the locals are pretty tired of foreign photographers literally elbowing their way through the crowds to get close-up shots of the bodies, something I've witnessed almost every time I went down there.

• Like Like x 2