Leica Too Good to be True?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Howdy everyone. I've been active on Amin's forums since the start and I'm even a moderator on the FujiXspot site. I've been involved in photography since the 1970s. During this time I have certainly been interested in Leicas but usually didn't have the money to take the plunge.

Now, I have the opportunity to pick up an M6 TTL with 35mm Summicron for $1500. The camera seems generally fine but does have those trademark bubbles visible on the top plate due to the zinc underneath the paint.

I don't know the seller and I'm just wondering if this price for an M6 with lens is too good to be true. What say the best and brightest here at Leica Place? My intention would be to pick up a package like this to order to enjoy film photography and the Leica experience while having other cameras for digital. It would not be my main camera and I'm not sure that I would add another lenses.

Comments, advice and suggestions are welcome.

Which version of the 35 Summicron and what condition.
The lens is worth either quite a bit (early 8 element, v4 "Bokeh King" or latest ASPH) or not that much at all (any other version).

With one of the "valuable" lenses I'd say its far too good to be true. With a more ordinary lens its merely an excellent deal (if true).

I wouldn't worry about the bubbling. Its likely as bad now as it will ever be, and top plates can be easily replaced anyway.

It sounds like a good price- will it have a warranty or return privilege? The advantage from buying from a dealer.
I bought my M3DS with Type 1 Rigid Summicron 50/2 and Hektor 135/4.5 from a local dealer at a very good price. Sometimes they buy for a good price, make a reasonable profit, and pass on the good deal.

I'm not the usual buyer. I buy things from flea markets, from craigslist, pawn shops, thrift stores, even things sight unseen if I have a hunch. I rely on my instincts and knowledge.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I usually find some incredible buy almost as a matter of course sometimes several times a month, paying sometimes pennies on the dollar for highly rare and valuable things.

Just one example, I found a dirty, greasy box of what looked like destroyed lenses under a flea market table. The seller asked for $50, and I paid without bargaining. The lens I noticed......a mint example of a 1939 f/2 Nikkor in a Hansa Canon mount. Worth the $50, I'd say, and the other lenses cleaned up well, with a few rare C-mount lenses in the batch. I'm not even surprised nor particularly excited when I find these things. I know what I see when I see it. The same goes for eBay.

Anyway, my point is not to brag but to make sure you know what you are looking at (not always easy, but I try), then strike while the iron is hot. People have a lot of motives for selling. If you think it's good, grab it and even try to negotiate the price. Don't get locked into thinking you "have to pay a lot to get something good". (although I also pay top dollar if I really fall in love with something and "have to have it")

With the help of "Mr. Google", it's not hard to quickly research something on your phone if you see something "in the field" that you're not sure of.

Last edited by a moderator:
DO NOT GET IT!

That is a 5cm F2 Collapsible Summicron. the 35mm that he is referring to means the FILM not the lens! The lens is early, worth ~$500. It is a Thorium lens, "HOT GLASS". Collectors item, highly usable, but a 50mm lens.

Brian is correct. I like the thorium lenses, though, and would view having that 50mm lens as a positive. (but it is worth FAR less than a 35mm FOCAL LENGTH Summicron).

At something like $1100 or below this would be a good buy the way it is. These early 50mm Summicrons often have coating damage, internal haze or cleaning marks. The seller should examine the lens with an LED flashlight and look for haze, micro cleaning marks, etc. Or make sure he takes returns.

The camera is a later TTL model M6. It has .85 eye relief, which is a little magnified. It is not a great deal at $1500, that is market price or a little above, especially with the "bubbles", since cosmetics play a big part in determining Leica value.

Last edited by a moderator:
DO NOT GET IT!

That is a 5cm F2 Collapsible Summicron. the 35mm that he is referring to means the FILM not the lens! The lens is early, worth ~$500. It is a Thorium lens, "HOT GLASS". Collectors item, highly usable, but a 50mm lens.

Ah. See, that's why I was asking. I'm simply not well-versed enough yet in the sublties of Leica to make informed decisions about anything beyond the mainstream. Although surprisingly, I do know what you're talking about when you refer to a thorium lens. Thank you very much.

No worries, though. I can keep on looking for a deal or even buy a very nice M6 TTL body with .85 viewfinder for only slightly more than this combo from a reputable dealer with a good return policy and even a 6-month warranty. If I go that route I can save a bit more and pick up a lens, say, 6 months down the road. Or even pick up a cheap Chinese M-mount lens to start using the body in the meantime.

Back