Sony To R or not to R

I know I'm probably opening an old wound here...but since debating for the past months wether to get the a7 as a backup to my M240 I have decided to go with the RX1. It suits me better right now...I apologise for starting an old debate but I really I'm not sure if the r version is better or not. Having downloaded sample RAW files I can see the difference in resolution. This to me is clear however I notice that the Rx1 has a more contrasty rendering whereas the r version doesn't....has anybody noticed this or is it me looking at the screen toooo long...thx

Having downloaded sample RAW files I can see the difference in resolution. This to me is clear however I notice that the Rx1 has a more contrasty rendering whereas the r version doesn't...

Those seem to be the tradeoffs identified by the handful of people who owned both at the same time. The resolution on the "R" is obviously amazing (and the great lens is up to the task), but the color and contrast were downside tradeoffs for that resolution. There may have been some high ISO and DR tradeoff as well - I don't recall if that was the RX1/RX1r or if that was just the A7/A7r. Of those who bought the RX1r to replace the RX1, some kept it and some returned it and got another RX1. So it's sort of down to your IQ priorities. I'm not a resolution mainiac (if I was, I'd have all of the Sigma Merrills) and I absolutely LOVE the look and feel of RX1 images and working with the files is like nothing else I've tried. And to me it still seems like crazy good resolution... So I wasn't tempted by the RX1r, but if you're really into resolution and are less concerned with the other qualities, the RX1r is surely a nice option...

-Ray

The r has better jpg algorithm. Which i was hoping they would fix with an Rx1 firmware update. It apparently scored less on Dxo, but there was undoubtedly some discrepancies.

Id buy an R if it was about the same price. But i found an RX1 for a lot cheaper so went with that.

DXO noted that the RX1R sensor had less dynamic range than the RX1. I haven't processed any R raws yet, but the original 1 raws are excellent. Incredible malleable and full of dynamic range. If DR is important to you, including the ability to recover shadow and highlight detail, as well as show fine gradations of light/shadow/colour, the RX1 edges out the R.

It may also depend on what you are used to shooting. Depending on your camera history and expectations, either camera could be anything from a big jump in IQ to the splitting of hairs. If you are used to aps-c DSLR's then I think either camera would be very pleasing. If you already shoot high end full frame Nikons or Canons, the jump would not be as great.

I'm still on the fence about the RX1 and the R. Resolution is very important to me, and I love the Leica M9, Sigma DP series, Ricoh GXR, and GR for that reason. But colour and dynamic range are also very important to me; if the difference between resolution and colour/DR is close, then I'd prefer good colour and dynamic range. You may be different.

I personally strictly only shoot RAW...so jpeg engine not important at all. Anyway from samples I have downloaded from the internet I have felt the RX1 is a more contrasty file than the RX1r which to me is more important than the higher resolution...the files look better. In fact the Rx1r files seem more akin to my M240's and the RX1s to my M9's...

Weird, i read reviews from Steve Huff and his report was the R version had more contrast than the RX1. Is this a sample variation?

Weird, i read reviews from Steve Huff and his report was the R version had more contrast than the RX1. Is this a sample variation?

As a soon-to-be-buyer/owner I stumbled over this as well. I mean, I really enjoy reading Steve's reviews but honestly I am a bit concerned about the fact that so many people tested the "contrast aspect" in a different way (towards RX1) than Steve... I am really interested in real life experiences of some users here that have been able to compare the two cams against each other...

As a soon-to-be-buyer/owner I stumbled over this as well. I mean, I really enjoy reading Steve's reviews but honestly I am a bit concerned about the fact that so many people tested the "contrast aspect" in a different way (towards RX1) than Steve... I am really interested in real life experiences of some users here that have been able to compare the two cams against each other...

You might want to do a search on DPR's Sony Cyber-Shot forum. I recall a few people who had an RX1 and then bought an RX1r. I recall a couple who concluded that they liked the RX1 better and returned the RX1r. I have no doubt there were also some who decided to keep the RX1r, but I don't remember any discussions that went that way. I don't think there was anyone on this forum that tried both, so I'm not sure how far you'll get here...

-Ray

Hi Ray...

Thx for the advice. I thought that your other post in this thread was based on some members oft this forum. Nevertheless, I'm focussing on the non R right now... at least due to my test shots with the non R. I love the output and with some PP it will come pretty close to the R sharpness...

Imaging Resource has a good comparison of files from the RX1 and the RX1R. In a nutshell, they conclude the R jpegs have significantly more resolution, while the resolution difference in the raws is appreciable only with very close pixel peeping. They also observed more moire, aliasing, and false color with the R.

Sony RX1R Review

I think it's worth adding. As I sort through, and process the huge number of RAW files from my maiden "voyage" with my RX1, it's quite clear that the AA filter even on the non-R model is just so mild. I'm finding plenty of occasions (low-angle reflections in water ripples, for instance) where there is noticeable moire - even before I add any additional post-sharpening. So, I'm quite glad that I steered clear of the "R" model. It would clearly have offered almost no appreciable sharpness (in RAW) over the non-R, and if anything, would have guaranteed more moire in various situations.

Back