Time

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
DSC_2543.JPG

I have lots of respect for Seiko, but decided to orient myself to... Orient! I'm sorry for the pun. They are Seiko's sister brand under the Epson umbrella, and like them build their movements in-house.

Nice! I love my Mako & I have a Bambino too. Feels like Seiko, Orient & Citizen are the holy-triumvirate of affordable quality mechanical watches.

49925203092_8a208da326_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P5230023 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

I should really try and track down the Watch thread on the forum. I had a poke around but couldn't find it. Settled on reviving Hermans Time one.

I was briefly shopping watches just yesterday. Would like to buy a cheap digital watch with a stop watch and a compass but don't know if I'd use it. I also appreciate a good analog timepiece but knowing the time of day isn't a big priority for me when I'm out and about.

I was briefly shopping watches just yesterday. Would like to buy a cheap digital watch with a stop watch and a compass but don't know if I'd use it. I also appreciate a good analog timepiece but knowing the time of day isn't a big priority for me when I'm out and about.
I know quite a few people who are into their watches to the extent of being members of watch forums which I’ve briefly had a peek into. It’s not dissimilar to the goings on at a Leica forum!

If you want to learn about watches, I highly recommend browsing through the Long Island Watch youtube channel. Yes he sells watches, too, but he has a lot of great general videos on horology and interacts quite a bit with the watch community. I bought my Seiko chrono there a couple of years ago, and have been looking at getting another watch, but am wary of slowly getting sucked into another expensive hobby - watch collecting - lol.

2022.06.18_09.15.57_DSC1510 1.jpg

I have resisted falling into watch GAS. I owned a couple of quartz watches before getting the Orient for my birthday a little while back. The other two went on to other people, and the Orient is my only timepiece as of now. That's not to say that I don't have hankerings after others - just in the Orient fold, the black Kanno is really appealing to me, and the now discontinued Neptune is another I'd really like to get my hands on.

My quartz entries:

R0002679-01.jpeg
R0002669-01.jpeg

I have resisted falling into watch GAS. I owned a couple of quartz watches before getting the Orient for my birthday a little while back. The other two went on to other people, and the Orient is my only timepiece as of now. That's not to say that I don't have hankerings after others - just in the Orient fold, the black Kanno is really appealing to me, and the now discontinued Neptune is another I'd really like to get my hands on.

My quartz entries:

View attachment 317774View attachment 317775
So what’s the general view in the ‘community’ on Swatch watches? I always used to get them as presents, was I being un-cool?

So what’s the general view in the ‘community’ on Swatch watches? I always used to get them as presents, was I being un-cool?
Ah, I'll 'chime' in here (see what I did there) - I certainly don't have any swanky watches, especially not since the age of mobile phones,
but this was my beloved Swatch from the early 80's. I wore it constantly until it sadly gave up working

WBB-X8901-Swatch-from-the-early-80's.jpg

Last edited:
I think Swatch is considered a fun brand, and the watch websites I've seen seem to embrace fun. I get the sense that real watch lovers don't make a distinction between "serious" and less serious watches, whereas rich dudes who want to appear more sophisticated than they actually are tend to be snobbish about brands, countries of manufacture and movement types.

Last edited:
Well, my last remaining watch quit reliably working a couple weeks ago. Too cheap for repair, like the one that broke earlier this year. Grabbed a couple replacements. New Timex Expedition North Solar Field 36mm and Mechanical Field 38mm, and am trying a Vaer for a solar 38mm Diver. Provided quality is good and they don't get stolen/ lost/ broken, these are likely my last watches. Will grab a better shot of the Timex mechanical and post it later, I couldn't get the bracelet adjusted properly (too loose or too tight, no fine adjustment on the clasp) and it was pulling the heck out of the hair on my wrist. Swapping out to a NATO-type band.
original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
Several things I noticed while looking at and reading up on current watches. Some brands are bringing more smaller sizes back, those of us with medium or smaller wrists are getting more options other than "pie plate". It can be difficult to find a watch in a brand/ style with features you want if you are trying to avoid date or day/ date functions, chronographs, etc... within a meager budget. One of the reasons I went with the watches I picked. More than I would have liked to have spent, but certainly on the low end of costs in today's watch world.

Several things I noticed while looking at and reading up on current watches. Some brands are bringing more smaller sizes back, those of us with medium or smaller wrists are getting more options other than "pie plate". It can be difficult to find a watch in a brand/ style with features you want if you are trying to avoid date or day/ date functions, chronographs, etc... within a meager budget. One of the reasons I went with the watches I picked. More than I would have liked to have spent, but certainly on the low end of costs in today's watch world.
I have a smaller wrist as well, I've always had skinny wrists and ankles... But one thing I've noticed about the watch I have now, which is a 41.5mm case (on the smaller side for a dive watch), is that it travels a bit too much on my wrist from side to side. The 44mm quartz dive watch I had before it actually sat in place a lot better. I'm thinking of getting the 44mm Kanno next and seeing how that rides. Day/date is the only complication I tend to want, though the harder to find Orient I'd really like, the Neptune, has a date and a power reserve indicator, which is interesting albeit not that useful. I find myself double-checking the date all the time at work, that complication actually serves a purpose for me.

I have a smaller wrist as well, I've always had skinny wrists and ankles... But one thing I've noticed about the watch I have now, which is a 41.5mm case (on the smaller side for a dive watch), is that it travels a bit too much on my wrist from side to side. The 44mm quartz dive watch I had before it actually sat in place a lot better. I'm thinking of getting the 44mm Kanno next and seeing how that rides. Day/date is the only complication I tend to want, though the harder to find Orient I'd really like, the Neptune, has a date and a power reserve indicator, which is interesting albeit not that useful. I find myself double-checking the date all the time at work, that complication actually serves a purpose for me.

It's nice to have choices, variations in size and shape as well as what we need/ want in features aren't a one size fit. Back when I needed day/ date, dual time zones and easily accessed stopwatch/ timer I had whatever flavor of G-Shock it was at the time. Once set up, only time I had to mess with it was to adjust local time depending on where we were after landing, and to use the timer. Everything else I needed was on primary display. Just need a time-teller these days.

I think the design of the watch back (how flat) and lugs (straight or curved) has a fairly big impact on how the watch rides on the wrist, as a well as strap type. I find less movement with NATO-type straps on my wrists, normal pinned straps can ride side to side easier, and leather moves less than fabric. 36mm is nice and small, beginning to border on too small for me, 38mm is about the largest before the watch starts to look large. Feel-wise, I think 37mm - 38mm is generally about right for me.

Last edited:
Back