Apple Ticked at Apple

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I posted earlier that I "upgraded" my iPad 2 and iPhone 4s to iOS 8.1. I wrote that the actual download and installation process went fine but that the added features of the latest mobile OS didn't do much for me. Ratchet forward to today. Now I'm ticked at Apple for the impact iOS 8 has had on the performance of my two devices. It is my humble opinion that Apple's brain trust must have known how much trouble the older processor in these devices would have with the latest OS. Response has become slow and jittery. Everything works but the joy has been taken out of the user interface. And, of course, I can't roll back to iOS 7. I deliberately waited for iOS 8.1 to avoid early bugs but the fact is, iOS 8 shouldn't have been made available for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. I can't help but think Apple said "You're still using those old machines? We'll have to give you a reason to upgrade." My question is... do I reward Apple for this kind of cynical thinking by upgrading to an iPad Air 2 and/or iPhone 6? The problem is, I really don't like Android for my phones or tablets (I've owned them). I have less of a problem with Windows (my wife has Windows on her tablet and phone) but really don't like that OS as much as I do Apple, either. I'm annoyed now so my thinking is suspect. Suggestions are welcome.

I waited for a while before succumbing to iOS 8 on my iPad and have found it has completely ruined it's usability. It's achingly slow and now seems to have a sort of pause/jerk before loading anything. Very disappointed! I'm not really liking Yosemite either on my iMac.

Thanks Luke. But I'm pretty sure that process will no longer work because iOS 7.1 is no longer the most recent official version of iOS and, in fact, is no longer supported. That did work during the beta testing process and during the short period between iOS 8 and iOS 8.1. Ugh.

I waited for a while before succumbing to iOS 8 on my iPad and have found it has completely ruined it's usability. It's achingly slow and now seems to have a sort of pause/jerk before loading anything. Very disappointed! I'm not really liking Yosemite either on my iMac.

Exactly. The device can still do what you want but all of the joy is gone... replaced with frustration. I can't believe Apple wasn't aware of this.

I resist OS upgrades as long as I can because they almost always slow older machines down. My iPad 2 slowed down considerably when I upgraded to IOS7 and I've up to now rejected all the come-ons to upgrade to IOS8. I'd switch to an Android tablet if I could, but I'm publishing ebooks and in that market the iPad is the 800# gorilla. So I've ordered the iPad Air 2 from Verizon and am paying with their monthly Edge program.

I suspect that some of the speed slowdown is that the new OS is likely pushing RAM to its limit so there's a bunch of background memory swapping to keep things working. If you're stuck with IOS8 on your iPad 2, maybe you can turn off some of the fancier settings or notifications to free up RAM and improve the speed? Just a guess.

I don't begrudge Apple upgrading OS and software that takes advantage of newer faster CPUs, GPUs, and SOCs. I've had some experience on the development side and there comes a time when supporting a shrinking legacy population effectively holds back progress and increases costs and timelines. But I do wish that Apple would provide an "I don't want to upgrade this OS ever on this device so please stop reminding me" option.

I've got so many Apple products but IMO they have stopped innovating. If you can make a Microsoft product look cutting edge (MS Surface Pro 3) then you really aren't keeping up!!! LOL

I'm not ready to move out of their ecosystem, and I have heard from my tech friends who use both Android and iOS that the problems are just different over in Android. But Apple ain't what it was a few year's back!

Sorry for your issues. Hope you can use Luke's link to roll back.

I'm still using a 4s as well, owing to being "grandfathered' in an unlimited data plan. However, the performance of my phone in terms of processing speed, battery life, and stability has declined to nearly the tipping point. The frequent crashes after app updates are the most troublesome; they render the phone unusable until I can plug it back into iTunes and it comes back to life. Oh, well...

iTunes is a huge bug bear for me, my iMac is about 3 years old and has fought with iTunes since new. I wouldn't mind but I never use iTunes!

My 2009 13" Macbook Pro handles iTunes just fine, and I use it regularly. What are the issues you are having?

I suspect that some of the speed slowdown is that the new OS is likely pushing RAM to its limit so there's a bunch of background memory swapping to keep things working. If you're stuck with IOS8 on your iPad 2, maybe you can turn off some of the fancier settings or notifications to free up RAM and improve the speed? Just a guess..

It's probably both RAM and the processor itself. Yes, I've turned off literally all notifications. And most of the fancy function and display options were turned off when I upgraded to iOS 7. I checked... they still are.

I don't begrudge Apple upgrading OS and software that takes advantage of newer faster CPUs, GPUs, and SOCs. I've had some experience on the development side and there comes a time when supporting a shrinking legacy population effectively holds back progress and increases costs and timelines. But I do wish that Apple would provide an "I don't want to upgrade this OS ever on this device so please stop reminding me" option.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with moving forward and I would expect my devices to eventually become too slow and/or outdated to be worth continuing with. Particularly if I decided to forgo any OS updates. But both were working just fine until iOS 8 got on board. BTW, your line about a shrinking legacy population holding back progress and increasing costs and timelines made me think of Pentax's K-mount. Am I alone? :D

Probably I am in the minority, but the best Android experience is to use their Nexus line. It's really the equivalent of the reference model if you harken back to stereophile days. Everything works on it. So if you have been turned off by Android (understandable, it can happen) but haven't tried Nexus, you owe it to yourself to at least give one a spin at one of the Big Box stores.

I'd agree with that. Although these days I am completely Sony Xperia for phone and tablet, and very happy (and waterproof :D ). Samsung is usually held up as the go-to brand for Android but they tinker with the OS far too much. Sony is "cleaner", and very stable.

I'd agree with that. Although these days I am completely Sony Xperia for phone and tablet, and very happy (and waterproof :D ). Samsung is usually held up as the go-to brand for Android but they tinker with the OS far too much. Sony is "cleaner", and very stable.

I covet the Xperia waterproof phones but I also covet mega battery life. That's how I ended up with a Motorola Droid MAXX with a 3500mAh battery. Can take a full day of heavy use (hotspotting, nav, etc...) and two days of light use before needing a charge.

Motorola's implementation of Android is pretty clean too, especially post acquisition by Google. I switched from the iPhone to Android a couple of years ago because I need to have one foot in iOS and one foot in Android for work. The transition was pretty easy

My 2009 13" Macbook Pro handles iTunes just fine, and I use it regularly. What are the issues you are having?

It freezes as soon as iTunes pops up. I had a few conversations with Apple when it was new but the end result was that lugging a 27" Mac to a shopping mall to the nearest Apple store did not appeal greatly and so I just put up with it. Now, Lightroom freezes it once or twice a week :(

I use an Iphone 5s and since the new update I have 2 issues. The one that is an issue for me is that I can't listen to my voice mails. The play button is not highlighted. Went to Apple and they cleared the phone and they reassured me that it will work fine. Unfortunately I have the same issue. I had my Iphone 4 for over 3 years and everything worked as new when I traded it in for the 5s

I "upgraded" my iPads... but after having the beta on my 4S, downgraded quicksmart before the signing window closed. Then sold it with 7.1.2. My ipads and phone are working fine at the moment but I wont be upgrading the OS again.

What I am hating at the moment is not so much of the upgrading, but the forced integration between iDevices and Macs. I dont like it. I've switched off everything I can and dont even use photostream anymore, it just confused things. Half the photos in the stream never made it to the mac and I was left with a ton of "look for the photo" stuff when trying to export to an external drive. Those are long gone, now, because I wont use photostream again (unless I switch on just long enough to import those)

Back