Thinking aloud about a go-everywhere pocket camera

When this was first written about in the announcement thread, I was really unimpressed... and then I thought about it some more. I may well join you in ownership of this one. I am still looking for a long zoom compact, having returned the little Fuji I bought... and the LF1 might just be the ticket. Its that, or I will have to go back to a smaller sensor and I don't really want to.

Same here, Sue. I almost ignored the LF1 at first, wondering why on earth Panasonic would bring out another camera with the 1/1.7" sensor instead of a one-inch sensor like the RX100 has. But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like they had an almost ideal take-everywhere camera that can slip easily into a shirt pocket, the pocket of a sport jacket or even the pocket of a suit or tuxedo. Will it be most people's primary camera? Not likely. But I'm revved up about it as a particular photographic tool for a particular sort of job.

... But I'm revved up about it as a particular photographic tool for a particular sort of job.

I think this is why I resist selling my gear when I get something new (except occasionally, and I have, almost without exception, regretted doing so)...

So now, I'm going to throw something out here... in November, I'm going to a Fleetwood Mac concert at one of the local wineries (well, further up the Hunter Valley). You're not allowed to take "professional" cameras in, but I think you are allowed to take ordinary compacts in... I was contemplating a Q or Nikon 1, or something like this, or the TZ40... I know the quality will be better with the Nikon, but it might be considered "professional" esp if I stick a long lens on it. FYI I will be nowhere near the stage, and will probably have to see most of the concert on the large screens which will be erected at each side. I did this with the Eric Clapton concert I went to a couple of years back, (no camera, sadly)... big screen viewing. And this time I'm going to be twice as far away :( It's a big venue and we just hope it doesnt rain.

Anyone got suggestions? I'd get a 50x zoom bridge camera if I thought I'd get away with it :)

I chose an LX7, and I am really happy with it. It's not quite shirt Pocketable but it will sit comfortably in my fleece or I keep it in a small pouch with the LVF2. I have added the lens cap that opens when you switch it on so it can be ready to shoot the moment you switch it on.

Very fast lens, great quality, I am printing at 16x12 and the prints look great

With the exception of the times I am wearing a suit jacket, I typically wear on overshirt (not tucked in) with two pockets over whatever else I am wearing. My solution is to wear a small camera on a neck strap and slide it between the overshirt and whatever I am wearing under it.

My current favorite is the G12. I would love to go all Cartier-Bresson with a fixed focal length, but I love my zoom and even a lousy viewfinder is better than no viewfinder in my opinion. The G12 is fairly compact and deploys quickly. Just press the button and the lens uncovers and trundles out.

I have yet to have anyone ask, "What is that weird bulge under your shirt?" But if they do, thanks to Lightmancer, I have an answer: "It's a nasty hernia. Wanna see?"

Cheers, Jock

I haven't worn an overshirt for years, although i do wear a lot of light jackets with zips, buttons or both. Generally I like a bit of space in my jackets so cameras can fit inside or under them, but occasionally I get a fitted jacket and hang a camera over the outside.

The G12 is a very nice generalist compact. For a year or two I carried a G10, similar camera but with no swivel screen. Interestingly, after getting the G10 I found myself using it just as much as my 30D + 17-55 f2.8 IS, as it was just much more convenient, and photos were almost comparable in bright daylight.

I think this is why I resist selling my gear when I get something new (except occasionally, and I have, almost without exception, regretted doing so)...

So now, I'm going to throw something out here... in November, I'm going to a Fleetwood Mac concert at one of the local wineries (well, further up the Hunter Valley). You're not allowed to take "professional" cameras in, but I think you are allowed to take ordinary compacts in... I was contemplating a Q or Nikon 1, or something like this, or the TZ40... I know the quality will be better with the Nikon, but it might be considered "professional" esp if I stick a long lens on it. FYI I will be nowhere near the stage, and will probably have to see most of the concert on the large screens which will be erected at each side. I did this with the Eric Clapton concert I went to a couple of years back, (no camera, sadly)... big screen viewing. And this time I'm going to be twice as far away :( It's a big venue and we just hope it doesnt rain.

Anyone got suggestions? I'd get a 50x zoom bridge camera if I thought I'd get away with it :)

Do you think you could get away with a Panasonic FZ200 - with the lens retracted? If not that, then how about one of Olympus's compact superzooms that it is currently closing out? The SZ and SP series cameras. No viewfinder, but it'll be nighttime, right?

EDIT: Sue, have you seen this? Recommended & Best Three Pocket Digital Cameras for Live Music Concerts for Fans (Photos & Video) – Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V, Sony DSC-RX100, Fuji X100/X100S

FZ200 doesn't differ all that much in size from a small DSLR, so I doubt you'd get away with it (if you do, it'll deliver really nice photos though!).

Do you think you could get away with a Panasonic FZ200 - with the lens retracted? If not that, then how about one of Olympus's compact superzooms that it is currently closing out? The SZ and SP series cameras. No viewfinder, but it'll be nighttime, right?

EDIT: Sue, have you seen this? Recommended & Best Three Pocket Digital Cameras for Live Music Concerts for Fans (Photos & Video) – Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V, Sony DSC-RX100, Fuji X100/X100S

Thanks for that link! Interestingly I had also begun to look at the HX50v which has a 30x zoom. It might just do the trick. OTOH I get nervous about so many Mp on such a tiny sensor, combined with the long zoom... just gotta wonder about how good it would really be. The FZ200 would be too bulky... I have an FZ100 and would not take that. Whatever I get is also going to have to perform fairly well in bright sunlight and I was reading in cameralabs.com that the TZ40 is much better than the Hx for that, so I think I am probably going to have to compromise. There's a few months to go, so plenty of time to work it out.

FZ200 doesn't differ all that much in size from a small DSLR, so I doubt you'd get away with it (if you do, it'll deliver really nice photos though!).

Sadly, I would not. I saw how the "guards" were, the last time I went. They prowl around and harass people with what they perceive to be professional level cameras.

Just as an addendum... who knew the HX50v can take an electronic viewfinder (presumably something hideously expensive) Here's where I read about it as compared to a TZ40 and a Canon SX280 HS: Sony Cyber-shot HX50V review | Cameralabs

Just looked at your photos in that GR set on Flickr, Archiver - and I fell for the one with the lone woman waiting by the water. Simply a stunning photo, beautifully framed and the colors are wonderful.:drinks:

The belt case for the GR is vertical. The leather is firm and of good quality, although it does add an amount of bulk due to the thick back. My first digital camera rode in a vertical zippered clamshell case, and the next was in a velcro sleeve case. Both were thicker than the GR in its case. Over the winter and colder months, the GR will go into a pocket, and in the summer it will sit on the belt.

I'll look into horizontal cases, now that you mention it. I bought a horizontal zippered clamshell case for my Contax T3 a few years ago, but haven't used it much. If I can find it, I'll see how it goes with the GR.

Thank you - not for me then. The case I use is the Leica 18509. It was the one my GRDIII was in when I ran over it... They come up on eBay occasionally, but are starting to go for silly money.

Sent from another Galaxy

The other week the "I need a pocketable take-everywhere camera"-bug caught me as well. :) (My phone takes lousy pictures)

Thought about the Olympus XZ-10 for a while, or the "older" generations of Canon S9x, etc.
Finally decided against it since it was only going to be for snapshots during work breaks or on the commute. All the options were simply too costly for just "taking a snap" every once in a while.

So I decided to dig out my old Fuji F30 and use that again. Here's the first two results (after a bit of noodling in Lightroom...) Pretty happy with it :)

10180700643_e22fbaeed4_z.jpg

fall(en) colors by tilman paulin, on Flickr

10180996935_855132e823_c.jpg

the island by tilman paulin, on Flickr

Guess what I'm trying to say is that (depending on what you want to do with it) even a seven year old digi-cam can serve the purpose. :)

I am currently trying out a Fuji XF1. I really liked my x10 but it wasn't close to pocketable. The XF1 zoom is slow on the long end but is 1.8 on the wide end and it slips into my pocket easily. Low light is a trick but that's what I have the EM5 for.

Exactly three years since the last post, and I'm revisiting this thread. At last mention, the GR was the camera I was taking everywhere. Since then, I acquired the Panasonic LX7 in late 2013, and the Panasonic GM1 in mid 2014. These three cameras form the backbone of my everyday carry, and are still going strong today.

While the GR's image quality is far better than a small sensor, I'm still having little issues with its colours. In some ways, I prefer the way the GXR aps-c modules handle colour, and I can't quite get the colours to match, even now. But the GR goes with me a lot.

11400324513_be2e3e433f_b.jpg
GR - The Deconstruction of Ancient Architecture
by Archiver, on Flickr

More often than not, I'll go out with just the LX7 and GM1 + Oly 25/1.8, and end up using the LX7 most of the time. The convenience of having a very wide, fast lens in a small camera is something I cannot get past. The LX7 also offers 11fps raw burst mode, which has enabled me to capture sporting events like pole vault and marathons with ease.

25386026814_190e50ac10_b.jpg
LX7 - Fallen Masters
by Archiver, on Flickr

The 25/1.8 on the GM1 is the best complement to a small sensor zoom for me. It has better dynamic range, more shallow depth of field, more varied tones, and better quality video. If I bring the tiny Oly 45/1.8, it becomes an absolute rocket for portraits, too.

With Olympus 25mm f1/8:

14398274119_80f19134bf_b.jpg
GM1 - Beats [explore 2014 07 05]
by Archiver, on Flickr

With Olympus 45mm f1.8:

15802619212_21f977a7ce_b.jpg
GM1 - My Name is Chan
by Archiver, on Flickr

So, while I don't have a complete all-in-one pocket compact, I've got three very small cameras which bring something unique to the fore.

Back