There and back again

pniev

Student for life
Initially I thought to write a tale with Geardalf the grey wizard, ISO vallies, pixel mountains etc, but my imagination failed me. So I I’d thought to stick to what has happened.

Many months ago, when the forum was still named SeriousCompacts, I decided to be no longer Seriously Compact. The IQ of full-frame cameras lured me into a camera adventure. I waited for Photokina to make a decision about the camera. I compared D810, D750 and Df. Initially I thought about trading in the Fuji set. The offer was ridiculously low but the thing that kept me from selling the Fuji set was that it felt like a divorce (which is a ridiculous comparison because I don’t know the feeling as I am still married to my first wife). After 10.000 shots I got emotionally attached to the controls, the build quality, and the size and weight.

So I thought to be smart and use the Fuji X-T1 with the primes (14-23-27-50) and the Nikon D810 with the 58mm bokeh lens, the 200mm macro lens and the tamron 150-600mm lens. Completed with a R1C1 flash set for closeup photography. I traded in the 18-55 and the 55-200.

When I got home, I started playing with the camera. I was so impressed by the focus-speed. The viewfinder was great, the LCD screen was great and the single shot I took with the 58mm lens looked promising. However,,,,,,within half an hour my hand got tired. And everything looked so different. Within an hour I asked myself “what the heck am I doing”?

The next morning I went back to the dealer, who was kind enough to take the entire set back. I left with the 10-24 zoomlens (surprisingly light and manageable!) as well as a preordered X100T.

Best of all, the dealer told me that the upcoming 140-400mm Fuji lens will be surprisingly small and manageable as well.

So here I am: back again. Seriously compact again and hopefully relaxed enough to enter the lounge, knowing that when the Df calls me, I can stay.

These are my first shots with the 10-24mm lens, all at 1/15 second handheld and ISO6400. Nothing special but it was a good opportunity to play with the wider angle and OIS.

Thanks for looking,

Peter

You're always welcome here Peter, and I'm sure you would've been with the Nikon kit even before the site officially became gear-agnostic! Cool about the 10-24, I love super wide angle!

Back