The worker

Dewi Sant

Veteran
Name
Guess?
I can't lay claim to having taken this shot, it's a selfie taken by a very good friend of mine about a week ago on his mobile phone - don't ask me what make or model as I have absolutelty no interest in mobile phones of any description, so couldn't tell you.

Ian, is a shift manager at very large power station which is reaching the end of it's lifespan so things often break down there, sometimes with spectacular results. He's got some fantastic photos of the damage after explosions and fires etc but he's not allowed to post them in the public domain. Normally he delgates but this was taken following a very long night on the generator plant floor after a huge steam valve had blown out, which he had to go down and isolate himself because nobody else could do it.

I asked him for a copy of the photo which he gladly gave me (with permission to use elsewhere). It started life as a slightly out of focus colour shot but I thought it was crying out for some Photoshop treatment so i went to work on it. I kinda like it

Walshy_zps34d47b64.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

He actually was a coalminer in the 70s BB - 'til Maggie & Scargill destroyed our coal industry. Ian retires next week, him and his wife are off to Italy (Lake Garda) to run a caravan site, total change of career for them! :) No doubt we'll find ourselves over there sometime to see them. This is the first year in many that we've not done a road trip with them, either by bike or car. Going to miss them, they're good friends

Back