Ricoh The Ricoh GR image thread

In-camera high contrast B&W processing, which I'm starting to like a lot (it's on MY1 setting now). :)

9113979942_7117076461_b.jpg

9113980606_9d3894ee60_b.jpg

9111762599_858bb78a9c_b.jpg

I am amazed how many great cameras (and great photographers) are available on the market today. Fabulous photos in this thread.
In a way I am happy that my choice was limited because the availability of an OVF was mandatory. Made the choice much easier.
Thanks everyone for sharing these photos,
Peter

Joe, you're doing some scary good work lately - you may have found THE camera for you. Pretty cool feeling when a camera just clicks for you and frees you up to just go shoot. I find street work is a bigger challenge for a camera in that regard because of all if the quickly changing variables, but when it clicks its a great feeling. "SLOW" is just a wonderful shot - great composition - and "BLAZERS" is equally good in a totally different way.

-Ray

All are post-processed lightly with DxO Optics Pro, with "Fuji Velvia" colour preset if I remembered correctly. The last two received more modification using the "HDR artistic" preset.

9150765551_a16d7dd895_b.jpg

9152976664_a017002c3d_b.jpg

9152985312_b3c1254c9d_b.jpg

9150750567_e575f6e968_b.jpg

9152974506_6054d42503_b.jpg

Joe, you're doing some scary good work lately - you may have found THE camera for you. Pretty cool feeling when a camera just clicks for you and frees you up to just go shoot. I find street work is a bigger challenge for a camera in that regard because of all if the quickly changing variables, but when it clicks its a great feeling. "SLOW" is just a wonderful shot - great composition - and "BLAZERS" is equally good in a totally different way.

-Ray

Thanks Ray. I now couldn't imagine being without it or something just like it. I will more than likely always have an m43/FujiX type ILC system and I will also continue to try out and experiment with other cameras too just because its great fun to try new things (have NEVER shot FF so now have an RX1 in mail)....but the GR has opened my eyes to other possibilities and it has been great, now I cant see my overall kit ever being without a GR or an 'A' tucked away in pocket somewhere.

Do you tweak the colour because I really like it here Livnius and all I've read would suggest that the colour lets it down

Thanks. Yeah, I always do something in post to my images and that usually means colour tweaking of some sort....even when shooting with the Fuji I tweaked colour a little and the Fuji to me has the best OOC colour I've seen, EASILY....but all that really proves is that I'm a habitual post-processor.
Regarding the GR colours OOC....I don't find them to be the most immediately pleasing in the way the Fuji colours are immediately pleasing, one could also probably argue that the Olympus colours are right up there too but I've always found them to be slightly too saturated with the OMD also giving me a slight hint of magenta cast, most notable in blue skies....but Oly are generally VERY good with colour anyway and usually hit the mark. I don't hold the Ricoh GR colours in the same regard. Are they bad OOC ? Absolutely not, not by a long shot...they just aren't as instantly loveable as the others. If OOC colour was my absolute highest priority when buying this type of camera I would have went for the Nikon-A, it's colours seem a little nicer....there was only ever a whisker in it but there were other factors that swayed me towards the Ricoh, on the colour front the fact that I tend to do all kinds of things to the files in post processing made the OOC colour less of an issue then what it perhaps would have been otherwise. If you are considering this type of camera (large sensor-fixed lens-super compact)...I think you may find that despite both the Nikon A and GR having their own small quirks/flaws/differences...you will learn to forgive it those things when you begin to realise that you can now carry a super fun to use APSC sensor camera in a shirt pocket, back of the jeans or purse :)

Worth noting...it seems the A has come down in price a wee bit. Perhaps something to keep an eye on.

"Slow" is stunning, amazing color again, thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate.

Thanks Ray. I now couldn't imagine being without it or something just like it. I will more than likely always have an m43/FujiX type ILC system and I will also continue to try out and experiment with other cameras too just because its great fun to try new things (have NEVER shot FF so now have an RX1 in mail)....but the GR has opened my eyes to other possibilities and it has been great, now I cant see my overall kit ever being without a GR or an 'A' tucked away in pocket somewhere.

------------

If you are considering this type of camera (large sensor-fixed lens-super compact)...I think you may find that despite both the Nikon A and GR having their own small quirks/flaws/differences...you will learn to forgive it those things when you begin to realise that you can now carry a super fun to use APSC sensor camera in a shirt pocket, back of the jeans or purse :)

Worth noting...it seems the A has come down in price a wee bit. Perhaps something to keep an eye on.
I'm having the same reaction to the A. I think whichever your preference, the GR or A, having any camera THIS good, THIS small, that handles THIS well, at THIS focal length was destined to become my favorite camera. Anyone who likes 28mm a lot will probably have the same reaction. Deciding which was a tough call for me, and the Nikon only won out for a couple of highly specific features that matter a lot to me but might not at all to most others, but knowing that ONE OF THEM was gonna be my favorite camera was a an absolute foregone conclusion!

I figure the A will come down to Ricoh levels soon enough. In some parts of the world, it seems to be less expensive.

-Ray

Here's a few more from my hometown. I love this joint but it's changing and I don't like the direction its headed.
Left to their own devices the property developers will pretty soon bleed the heart out of this place and replace it with more soulless and cold ghost towns like the Docklands precinct.
I guess you gottta be from Melbourne to get it. Or maybe not.

9178376217_79446e7e63_b.jpg

Late afternoon alley cafe. by Livnius, on Flickr

9178339291_1a91bd239a_b.jpg

ricohGR by Livnius, on Flickr

9178352321_6e12abe3fd_b.jpg

ricohGR-17 by Livnius, on Flickr

9180563458_d8a5021da4_b.jpg

ricohGR-18 by Livnius, on Flickr

9180572588_e3f54237fb_b.jpg

Swanston St Bridge. by Livnius, on Flickr

On the way home tonight I passed these kids having a break in a 'cone of silence' at KFC. I'm loving having this camera in my pocket, ready for moments like this!

KFC Gang.jpg

Here's a few more from my hometown. I love this joint but it's changing and I don't like the direction its headed.
Left to their own devices the property developers will pretty soon bleed the heart out of this place and replace it with more soulless and cold ghost towns like the Docklands precinct.
I guess you gottta be from Melbourne to get it. Or maybe not.
Love the fourth one, really.

These are really very good! I like the way the first shot contrasts cool and warm light to "draw you inside" - fantastic. Great use of light in all of them. I like the textures in the second one, and the juxtaposition of old and new with the glass towers in the background.

I was in Melbourne in February for a few days. I have family there. Interesting place - definitely has its own flavour! I enjoyed it.

Thanks mate.

I hear you. I caught myself with always building a system "around the A" when planning for travel. It`s the wide angle and pocket solution at the same time. Other gear gets neglected since it landed in my home. I see no need for a 28 mm lens for a ILC system any longer.

Back