Fuji The premature X200 thread!

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
Hopefully no one will flame me for starting this thread already!!

After handling the X100 for a few hours, here are my first thoughts on what I'd like to see in the X200 (or in the X100 via firmware updates):

Firmware update suggestions:

- place auto ISO option on the same menu as ISO control
- allow user to customize the AEL/AFL and RAW buttons by assigning other functions like in the Fn button
- faster AF

X200

- manual focus that doesn't take 5000 turns to get the image in focus
- more ergonomically carved rear, a place for the thumb to rest
- bigger grip would be nice, but it would also make the camera look less retro
- a more easily accessible aperture ring (perhaps a bottom tab instead of two side tabs which are placed way too close to the camera body)
- F1.4 lens
- standard thread for usage of filters and hoods
- bigger battery

Thanks for being brave and posting this. I appreciate hearing all sides so if I get the camera I will be braced for the quirks. God knows the NEX has its quirks but I love it anyway. It just seems that all compact cameras make some strange compromises with the menus and buttons, esp. first generation. Based on the way Sony improved NEX usability with firmware changes, I'm hopeful Fuji will do the same and fix what can be fixed by firmware, and soon.

I like it, Janis and if you're thinking of getting one, I think you'll like it, too. If anyone decides the camera - this version - isn't for them, they can easily sell it.

But back to the future, eh?:popcorm2:

I put a lot of stock in that, BB, and the fact that other so many others on this site like it, but I can't afford it right now unless I sell a bunch of stuff! I only got the NEX a few months ago so I am making myself wait a bit. I just got a Pentax convertor so want to try some old Pentax lenses on the NEX . . .

Oh, no - the last thing I meant to do was to encourage you to buy anything. I thought you were already planning to do so, Janis. The NEX has always seemed like a super camera. I know my brief experience borrowing Don's brought me some great pictures. Keep what you've got, by all means, Janis.

I currently own this X100, my Panasonic LX5 and an old control less Canon Elph. I may sell the LX5, though it is a very nice camera...but I'm not in a rush to decide.

BB, I probably will get this Fuji based on the incredible IQ I'm seeing, but not till it comes down in price a little, if that ever happens. I have so many cameras now it's ridiculous! I started buying old cams at estate sales and have approximately 12 classic cams plus my three digitals. I supposedly bought the old ones to sell and haven't shot with most of them but I find I like having them around. They're all beautiful to me. And I just realized I have some 49mm closeup lenses I want to try on the NEX kit lenses.

Back