The Pre-Vacation shuffle

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
We leave for a week at DisneyWorld on Thursday. My carry-on bag is my Domke F2. I also have a Domke FX5A to carry around while I'm there. The F2 sits here as I pack and unpack bodies and lenses, batteries and chargers. The small bag will hold the GX7 with the 20 and the EM5 with the 45. I could then bring my 45-200 as well and be covered for walk-around, low light, and animals at a distance. I could also just take my Stylus 1 and be good except in low light. So I could also bring the EM5 along just for nighttime. I really want to try the GX7, however, on an extended walk around. I could bring it all but then I'd be doing this every morning in the hotel. I've had my my wife hide the 75 so I don't just start crying.

Fortunately I don't have any sort of travel coming up particularly soon, because my decision process / shuffle is always tortured. The good news being that whatever I decide to take usually ends up seeming right when I'm actually gone. So I could probably just toss a coin and come up OK. But I feel obligated to over think it first...

But if you own the 75, you really should bring it. It's just waaaaaay too good a lens to have and not use whenever possible!

-Ray

Great. You guys have convinced me to take the one lens I had decided not to take. :doh: Oddly, the Stylus is tempting. It's a small sensor camera, but it's a really good one.

+1 ....... sometimes I come close to getting a m43 kit again JUST to shoot with that 75mm lens. It is freaking magic.

I've had that thought myself. A good longer candid portrait type lens is the ONE thing I'm missing from my Nikon kit. I have a really cool old MF 135 that's small and light and fast enough, but I don't really like MF for that type of shooting. And all of the good AF lenses in that focal range are big and heavy and expensive as hell. So it's ocurred to me to just get an EM10 or used EM5 and a used 75 for less than a good lens for the Nikon and just keep it around for those low light candid situation. But I really like having a much simplified setup and don't think I could avoid system creep if I brought another system into the mix so I'm gonna avoid it if at all possible. But such a good lens is tempting...

-Ray

Mid-vacation update. The GX7 and the EM5 have both been great to use. The P20 and O45 have been a perfect combo for Disney. The 75 will get a try when I go to the animal park.

I had that very thought. The animal park will need a longer lens, however. What I want is the Stylus 1 with a 1/1.7 inch sensor that has the low light noise of the current mu43 sensors. Maybe technology will catch up with my wishes someday.

Panasonic FZ1000 then...:D

OK, final comments. Here's the stunning surprise: The GX7 and EM5 are both fabulous cameras. The day at the Animal Kingdom was overcast, dark,and eventually very rainy. I had the 75 on the EM5. What surprised me was how bad the light was. The EM5 went straight to 3200 and even wide open the shutter speeds were a close thing. AF was pretty slow and it hunted a bit. Still, I was glad for those extra few stops over the old 40-150. I'll post some shots today.

Back