The Out of this World Cup

I'm going to emigrate.

Official.

I'm thinking Mars. Perhaps Triton. Or maybe the Oort Cloud - I hear it's lovely this aeon.

ANYTHING to get away from the foot-ball. :mad:

Who's with me...?

Bil,

The first time I read your post, I thought: "must be a Brit problem."

But Noooooo, google logos, themes in fast food restaurants, coverage on local news broadcasts . . . I've never seen such a massive push for visibility . . . makes me want to believe in global conspiracies . . . who knew the Illuminati cared about soccer??

You got room in your Oort Cloud condo for a fellow photographer until this blows over?

Cheers, Jock

It's really shaping up to be one of the better WCs of the last few years. At least having Spain knocked out means that real attacking football will have a chance of winning, not that boring tiki-taka nonsense. As Jim Royle might say, "false number 9, my a**e".

Rooooonie_zps92ec7282.jpg

Dear old Wayne is the butt of many jokes, but the curious thing is that whenever I have seen him in a press conference or interview (other than just after a game, when few sportspeople make much sense), he always comes across to me as speaking thoughtfully and intelligently about his profession.

He's not Stephen Hawking, but then his job is footballing, not providing a universal theory of everything.

Is that it now? Are we out?

I had the deep misfortune of seeing about ten minutes of "da match" last night. A team called "Ing-err-lund" need not have bothered to turn up, from what I could see. Bear in mind that I am a follower of cricket and rugby, neither of them un-strategic sports, and in both of which we have had world champions in recent living memory... What I saw last night smacked of a group of individuals that have been team-talked into torpor. The extent to which they appeared incapable of going with the flow of the game rather than pointlessly man-marking and sticking to their assigned area of the pitch as if one foot were nailed to the turf was depressing.

Talk about overpaid, under-brained and over there.

Can we get back to normal now - please?

No there remains an extremely slim mathematical possibility we will yet go through depending on other teams' results.

it won;t be the end of all the tv and radio coverage though, even if we do go out

If Italy draw with CR we are out
If CR beat Italy, and we beat CR, and Urugi beat Italy

CR will go thru and there will be three teams who have won 1 game - then the one of the three that has the best goal difference will go thru with CR

or if Italy beat CR and we beat CR and pigs fly we may have a chance ………...which sometimes happens

There is an article by a Sports writer on the internet, reported by the BBC who indicates that Rooney "thinks too much"

Then again, if CR beat Italy, as they are doing as I type, then it all comes down to Italy - Uruguay for the second qualifier and the way Italy are playing today they might be out as well. Perhaps a small consolation for England. Meanwhile Die Nationalmannschaft moves quietly along with just a slight concern about Jerome Boateng.

but if CR beat I

can Eng beat CR, at all and by enough goals

but if CR beat Italy, Eng cannot qualify, because if I beat U or vica versa, I or U will have two wins or one win and a draw and either of them will be the second team thru

The most that Eng can get is one win

the only chance England have got in winning anything is if you let Bernie Ecclestone set the rules

Back