The New Ricoh GR Announced and Available for Pre-Order ($797 at B&H)

Any time I post a photo here, it is via flickr and all my EXIF is on display. So you can see that recently a K-5iis arrived after a few shots from a K-30 became less regular. One can likely even guess what lenses have been arriving from the nice postal lady or the man in the brown truck.

I fell hard for the Pentax K-30 which I tried on a whim. I fell so hard I wanted to see what was further up the Pentax tree so I jumped to the top when I found a good deal on one (Apparently I bought it moments before Krugorg tried to pull the trigger only to find it gone :D). Now I love the K-5iis so much, I wanted one for my pocket so I have pre-ordered the GR. I was originally planning on keeping the 2 Pentax DSLR bodies to cut down on lens switching.....it is nice to have a second body.

I'll need to sort through the finances and see if I can make it work, but a super low miles white K-30 may be hitting the classifieds.

And then there is the whole showdown between the DA70 and the FA77 that I'll need to sort out after the FA shows up. The PENTAX GAS hit hard......luckily I had sold off a couple whole systems so it wasn't too much out of pocket.

A lot happens while I am sleeping. Congratulations on your new purchases!

I had the adapter and hood for the GRD IV.. and it really jut out. So taking that hood off and putting that wide lens on it will make the camera more than twice as thick and probably front heavy with that wide glass.

Regarding my comments earlier on the lack of an external charger; I have nothing against the GR (recall I have owned a GRD II and III in the past) - I had just commented that the camera does not come with an external charger (just something I find "odd" having bought digital cameras since 1998 - and yes, I know Sony recently did the same thing) - I'm not saying that it's a deal breaker; just that some folks may have already pre-ordered the camera without knowing that it does not come with an external charger and while one can be attained (Ricoh or otherwise) at a "low" to "ouch" cost :), it's just an FYI and nothing more.

Cheers,
Dave

It's a bit annoying that it doesn't come with an external charger, but fortunately I've got a GRD III, which does. :tongue:

And it's surprising that they use the GRD III/IV battery in an aps-c camera, considering that the GXR uses a much larger battery. Personally, I would have preferred the GR to use the GXR/Fuji X100 battery, as it would mean one less charger to take on trips and longer battery life, but it probably would have meant a slightly larger camera, too. But then, the Fuji F30 uses the GXR/X100 battery, and it's still small. So who knows?

Personally, I would have preferred the GR to use the GXR/Fuji X100 battery, as it would mean one less charger to take on trips and longer battery life, but it probably would have meant a slightly larger camera, too. But then, the Fuji F30 uses the GXR/X100 battery, and it's still small. So who knows?

No no no no no... If they had done THAT, then I'd have probably ended up buying an X100s, or at least an X100 with the rationale that I'll be saving money on a charger for the Ricoh. So the new battery is SAVING me money.

Oh wait, I still have a GXR with that same charger and a few batteries - never mind, that would have worked!

-Ray

I was at Disneyland when the GR hit and missed all the excitement. Naturally, I bought one (pre-ordered). As a long-time GRD shooter and grown to love the 28mm focal length the GR is a natural. I've been shooting with the Nikon A and with the larger sensor and small camera I'm right at home. Not sure I really need anything else. Perhaps a 50mm compact someday, but that's it.

It is interesting for me to read some of the comments about the GR on various forums. On the one hand, some people love to make noise without experiencing a camera. On the other, I for one was a GR newbie at one point. I remember the trepidation at ordering a $700 small sensor 28mm camera. But it was the best camera purchase that I've ever made. Instant love and thousands upon thousands upon thousands of pictures later it's still there.

I'm very pleased to see this camera. We now know that Ricoh is still around and the best camera ever just got better. For me anyway. I cannot wait to try it. But I'll have to be patient for RAW support.

Edit... I'm gathering that it does not include an external charger but uses the previous GRD charger. Well, I have a couple of those chargers and I have plenty of GRD batteries!

So for you who folks that bought new gear, but have yet to come out, feel free to do so without any fear of judgment. Or disapproval. Or guilt.

Ahem....
recently bought a 17 1.8
like it a lot, so didn't get a X100s
in stead I got a second E-M5 (silver this time)
just ordered a 75-300 II with hood (preparing for South Africa: one camera to go long, one to go wide)
and even when I have too much lenses as it is (12, 17 (both), 20, 25, 45, 12-50, 14-140, and soon 75-300) I foresee a 75. I am still resisting, since it's not my length, but the images from that lens lure me....
and I dream of a GR as a pocket camera. and I know what happens when I start dreaming.

Happily between work, daydreaming and purchasing, I still occasionally find time to do some actual shooting for fun.

Ahem....
recently bought a 17 1.8
like it a lot, so didn't get a X100s
in stead I got a second E-M5 (silver this time)
just ordered a 75-300 II with hood (preparing for South Africa: one camera to go long, one to go wide)
and even when I have too much lenses as it is (12, 17 (both), 20, 25, 45, 12-50, 14-140, and soon 75-300) I foresee a 75. I am still resisting, since it's not my length, but the images from that lens lure me....
and I dream of a GR as a pocket camera. and I know what happens when I start dreaming.

Happily between work, daydreaming and purchasing, I still occasionally find time to do some actual shooting for fun.

Thank you for the confession. :)

The 75/1.8 is one amazing lens. I finally used it extensively over the weekend on the OMD. Great great lens. The sharpness of it allows LOTS of cropping. I have the 17/1.8 as well. Love it too!

Keep dreaming about the GR, and the dream shall come true. :)

Have a fun and safe trip to South Africa!

Back