Pentax The new Pentax K-01 mirrorless

wolfie

Veteran
Leaked picture - supposed to officially launched tomorrow?

Think it's meant to use current K-mount lenses and 1the Sony 16 mp APS sensor and new ultra-thin pancake lens ...

Pentax-K01-camera.jpeg

And then there's the Olympus OM-D coming soon ... it's all good!:D

Well what if its an APS-C? it will be another Sony NEX with even more limited lens line-up. What are we really hopping here?
NEX with sensor shift IS? Something like Olympus to Pany and even less with only K mount lenses!
It can't be fast C-AF with legacy lenses or if there is some Phase detect AF for mirrorless?

What Pentax gonna offer which lack in current mirrorless camera system? Fuji got sensor, m4/3 lenses, sony hmmm dont know maybe LCD ;p

Can't wait for another three hours, dammmit!

I don't understand "bashing" what is not even anounced yet, much less tried.
well "bashing" ... would say anticipation is a better word ..

there are few tricks on k-01 side according to the pentax forum .. very thin prime lens (60mm f2.8 with protective coating) bundled, sensor based stabilization, support to all legacy lenses, with APSC sensor. Possibly a weather sealed body too.

I love it .. essentially same camera as K5 but mirrorless ... well done Pentax! Now really want to see how fast the Auto focus works .. and if does focus fast .. am sold! its sensor is already too good .. even if its same as on K5.

It's an interesting set of choices. Not that small but a good price. The K5 sensor has proven to be very good, so IQ is very promising. I have K lenses so that makes it tempting. Of course, there are lots of K lenses out there, many that will provide AE. AF is less obvious since it doesn't say if this camera incorporates the original screw drive. This camera needs high IQ because not many other features really set it off.

Yeah. My only motivation is that I have a K7, and this would be cheaper than a K5 with it's better sensor. I wonder if this is literally a K5 with a quick conversion to mirrorless. An EVF version would have made much more sense.

that comparison view from the top down is pretty crazy. If it's going to be roughly the same size, I'd prefer a better grip and a viewfinder.

I kinda like bumble bee one in its' own way. Still might be nice for a Pentaxian as a second body, but then I still think I'd take a K-r. If it's not smaller in any meaningful way are they just making a mirrorless camera for the sake of it being mirrorless?

At least it seems to be priced right....and they only go down in price.

Just found this review (already!):

Pentax K-01 Hands-On - YouTube!

Thanks for the video... interesting size comparison with K5 at 4:25. Actually... this looks a bit smaller than I was expecting when I first saw the images. Just going to say that I think this camera is the same size, maybe even smaller in some ways, than the Fuji Pro. You lose the EVF, but gain a flash and IBIS (more interesting to me). I also think it looks more ergonomic (even if it is a bit goofy looking) than the Fuji.

The cynic in me is saying that the only reason this camera is mirrorless is to reduce manufacturing costs. I'm not particularly concerned about the loss of the OVF, but I'm intrigued to see how a stable of PDAF lenses operates on a CDAF camera.

Back