Micro 4/3 The last time I was wrong was 4 years, one month, 8 days ago...

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
...and here is the proof: The official I don't want the LX100 thread

Prior to that was, oh, November 1977, I think...

Let me explain.

After my ill considered but thankfully short flirtation with the Sony RX100 I went back to the drawing board. I still had a yen (geddit?) for a high quality go-everywhere zoom compact to compliment my Fujis. I still have an X20 but it is admittedly getting a little long in the tooth and occasionally cranky on startup.

Searching around I chanced upon the Panasonic LX100... Now, I know it is not exactly pocketable, but more of that later... What it is, is capable, and not insanely small. it handles well, has an (electronic) viewfinder and, critically, NO TOUCH OR TILTY SCREEN.

It does seem that Panasonic has channelled the mojo of my much-loved LC-1 (Leica Digilux 2; I had both and preferred the finish and handling of the Panasonic.) I'm loving the fast lens, the "analogue" control dials and rings and the handling. In-camera raw processing - yay. Decent mono output... I'm not so keen on the power zoom or the impenetrable remote app. A minor muscle memory irritation is that the zoom control is in the same place, more or less, as the on-off switch on my Fujis - but I'll get used to that.

But the results... I will post an image or two in due course. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

There's some Leica DNA in there too... it's buried a long way down, but I can sense it... Amusingly, the camera fits perfectly in an old Leica leather belt case designed originally to hold an M6 with the 50mm f2.8 Elmarit-M mounted.

It's a funny old world, innit?

How do you have your viewfinder set up, as a matter of interest? I've gone for the "high eyepoint" version with the readout on a black border and am finding it very clear.

All I can say is, the LX100 is still one of those cameras that reliably delivers better images than expected; that and the fact that its lens is really impressively bright have as of yet prevented me from letting it go - even though it's been superceded by the G1X III in most respects (and the more I enjoy using that camera, the sooner the LX100 will go - competent though it is).

What I find most impressive (even in comparison with the G1X III - in fact, specifically so) is how well the wide end is corrected. If you enjoy the 24mm-e, the LX100 might actually be your better bet ... I haven't used an X20, so I can't compare, but the LX100 remains a very nice camera in spite of its advancing age.

M.

I still really like mine. Only just discovered that I have a zoom ring on the lens which also doubles as manual focus. Thats what happens when you dont read the manual or explore the camera very much. I've only had mine just over a year and I am tending to use it more than most of my other cameras. Except when birding.

As I’ve written earlier, the LX100 is not a perfect camera — the perfect camera doesn’t exist! I’ve been using this camera exclusively for about 2.5 years and I’m still enjoying it and learning about it. Yes, there were times when I would have liked to have ‘more’, like longer telephoto reach, but I get past it. The LX100 takes great pictures, is versatile, and very portable.

Last edited:
Back