The ILC-P?

I can see this being popular with journalists, reporters, Instagrammers, and bloggers who need their camera to be truly connected but also want other field of views.

hmm, if your phone is primarily used as a camera / you spend a good part of your day photographing or communicating on your phone, I can see this being useful. But if it lives in your pants pockets, like phones usually do (for men anyway), it would be an extra step to add the lens, because the phone plus lens wouldn't fit in your pants pockets comfortably. And at that point, I might as well carry a dedicated camera.

They will sell them by the tons. People LOVE their phones (I don't get it) and much like crazy pet people love to buy things for their pets, people will buy things for their phones. Whether they use them or not is fairly immaterial.

They will sell them by the tons. People LOVE their phones (I don't get it) and much like crazy pet people love to buy things for their pets, people will buy things for their phones. Whether they use them or not is fairly immaterial.

I want one already. What does it do?

Check out this little clip from the Exolens page - 3x on the text, and 4x on the tele lens.

image.png

Isn't the Olympus Air 01 pretty much the same deal? Four-thirds sensor on your phone. You can mount any micro four-thirds lens you want on it. But pancakes work best. Only $299.

Olympus Air A01: Digital Photography Review
Related but different

I read the reviews on the air, and passed. It goes to sleep within two minutes, and disconnects from your phone, so you have to wake it and your phone and wait for them to connect again to shoot. And for the air to connect to the phone you have to use the phone's wifi so you lose phone data. Ugh

Last edited:
I read the reviews on the Exo lenses. Not good. I think the idea is to up the lens options

Oops - those are the non-Zeiss versions, sold only in a complete kit for $129 USD. I'd guess the Zeiss versions would be sold separately for $129 or more each.

Isn't the Olympus Air 01 pretty much the same deal? Four-thirds sensor on your phone. You can mount any micro four-thirds lens you want on it. But pancakes work best. Only $299.

Olympus Air A01: Digital Photography Review

Related but different

I read the reviews on the air, and passed. It goes to sleep within two minutes, and disconnects from your phone, so you have to wake it and your phone and wait for them to connect again to shoot. And for the air to connect to the phone you hand to use the phones wifi so you lose phone data. Ugh

Usability is key. A journalist blogger at an event wants the gear to just work, not require coaxing or attention because they are busy and under time pressure.

Back