1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Great Purge

Discussion in 'Fuji' started by tonyturley, Mar 12, 2018.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    I am embarking on a significant decluttering/simplification project that I expect to take months. I have simply accumulated too much stuff through nearly 40 years of jumping from one activity to the next, and I am going to jettison a lot of stuff.

Part of that simplification is my camera gear. Although it's only a small part of the greater effort, I want to simplify my camera workflow greatly. The 23mm f2 and 18mm f2 are being replaced with an 18-55mm f2.8-4. No longer am I going to be concerned with WR or if the camera fits in a pocket. If I want a pocketable outfit, I'll just carry my Canon S95. The 18-55 will go on the X-T1, and the 50-230 will stay on the X-T20. No more lens swaps.

The remnants of all of my hobbies are going under the microscope. I'm reducing to two guitars - one my wife bought me years ago, and one I use regularly at home and church. I'm donating a huge stack of guitar instructional materials, as well as hundreds of hardback sci-fi novels dating all the way back to the 1980s. When I'm done, our house will look very different. I'm looking at retirement in the next couple of years, and I am working toward a fresh, new chapter in my life. Photography will still be a big part of it, but at a much simpler, cleaner profile.

Wish me luck.

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bobby Tingle

Bobby Tingle Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mike G

Mike G Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    West London
    Mike Gorman
    Well done Tony retirement needs as much planning as does a career!

But your butchering of your photo gear seems a bit severe though if it is a hobby?

4. Retirement planning for sure! Butchering "hobby" gear? If you only knew how many times.......

• Like Like x 2
  5. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    LOL . . .butchering? No, just taking a hard look at what I have and what will work for for me to get the job done as efficiently as possible. I've been as guilty of gear lust as many people, and just came to the conclusion that it's time to slam on the brakes hard.

• Like Like x 2
  6. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Jun 20, 2012
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    You won't regret it, after a month or so.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mike G

Mike G Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    West London
    Mike Gorman
    Tony, you must have more willpower than me. :th_salute:

Just take a look at the list below. :drinks:

8. gordo

gordo Regular

Jul 6, 2017
    Arizona
    Going through that process myself as well. Everything is being looked at, including hobby items. Will be making some difficult (for me anyways) decisions regarding photo gear over the next month or three.

I'm finding the reduction of excess to be refreshing.

9. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Indeed. I had today off from work, so I've spent the day going through papers and boxes in my office. It looks a lot better, and it's just the beginning.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mnhoj

mnhoj gee aahrr

Jan 27, 2012
    Good for you Tony and good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mikEm13

mikEm13 Veteran

Feb 7, 2017
    Wish you luck! I every time I try to do that I end up failing.

• Like Like x 4
  12. gordo

gordo Regular

Jul 6, 2017
    Arizona
    Good luck with the project!

• Like Like x 2
  13. davidzvi

davidzvi Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    Good luck, in the process myself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Covey22

Covey22 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Slimming down the inventory reminds me what's been sitting idle and why haven't I been using it more? I can definitely appreciate why one does this. Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  15. tonyturley

tonyturley Hall of Famer

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Two days, and a lens has already been shipped out and a family member wants a guitar I'm unloading. Good start! I forgot until now, though, about all of the old clothes that have to be culled. :eek-42:

• Like Like x 4
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Veteran

Apr 18, 2014
    David
    @TonyTurley@TonyTurley I'll trade you some office furniture for camera gear? :D :oops: :rolleyes: 

17. bs1946

bs1946 Regular

Mar 12, 2016
    You still manage to accumulate stuff when you're retired. Might even be worse. Plus you don't have that drive all the time to clean stuff out. I've downsized my camera kit to an X-T2 with two lenses but, I intend to go smaller and replace that with an X100F and the wide-angle converter. It's all I need and the X100T I had was my favorite camera. Then I can get rid of the two tripods I own plus at least two of my four camera bags. I've taken my Manfrotto travel tripod on my last three vacations and never used it once.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Safari

Safari Regular

Dec 26, 2015
    All the BEST Tony!
    I'm doing the same with business-related stuff, but still collecting photo gear.
    ENJOY!

• Like Like x 2
  19. thor

thor New Member

Feb 8, 2018
    X-e2 with 14/2.8
    X100F 23/2.0
    X-e2 with 50/2.0

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.