Fuji The Fuji X-A1: a camera to be reckoned with

So, I'm hoping we'll be able to find out some point in the reasonably near future. I just purchased a LNIB E-M1, which should arrive next week, and I plan to rent an Olympus 4/3 sonic wave AF motor lens and test it while shooting motorsports. We'll be able to see how it stacks up to the X-T1 and also to a pro Canon 1D series body and Canon USM AF lenses.

Just extending this line of thought a little further, last weekend, I used my X-T1 to shoot trackside motorsports at the Ferrari Challenge at Sonoma Raceway. While I got some images that were sharp and in-focus, the overall hit rate was quite a bit lower than when I posted my karting thread a few weeks back, and also not comparable to the hit rate I was able to get with my Canon 1D MkII N and 70-200/2.8 L IS II. So, while I think the continuous/predictive AF of the X-T1 is probably the best of any interchangeable lens mirrorless system (but we'll see for sure when I get the E-M1), there seems to be an upper limit of tracking at "closing speeds" that the camera is able to keep up with, and go-karts are probably that limit, but not full-on race cars at race pace. All in all, quite good, but not presently at a level than can supplant a pro-level DSLR body for professional level sports photojournalism.

Another shot with the X-A1 and the 27mm pancake.

The Flying Lizard Porsche 997 GT3 RRS that ran at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2011 (this image can be viewed as High Res)

FLB-blu-XA-1-Web.jpg

I'd really like to learn more about how the X-A1 autofocus and general performance compares with the X-E1 (with latest firmware). I'm thinking about it as a hiking camera since I already own the 18mm and 27mm lenses. I'm sure I could take the X-E1 but the camera is a bit bigger and heavier than the X-A1. The sub-$500 deals make the X-A1 attractive (and its Bayer array sensor may even be a bit better for nature shots) but I'm wondering if I should jump on them or wait for the X30, with its rumored larger sensor, to come out. The X-A1 also lacks a viewfinder - has that been an issue for anyone working in daylight?

I'd really like to learn more about how the X-A1 autofocus and general performance compares with the X-E1 (with latest firmware). I'm thinking about it as a hiking camera since I already own the 18mm and 27mm lenses. I'm sure I could take the X-E1 but the camera is a bit bigger and heavier than the X-A1. The sub-$500 deals make the X-A1 attractive (and its Bayer array sensor may even be a bit better for nature shots) but I'm wondering if I should jump on them or wait for the X30, with its rumored larger sensor, to come out. The X-A1 also lacks a viewfinder - has that been an issue for anyone working in daylight?

Biro,

Did you get an answer? I am in the same position.

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten any feedback, Steve. Personally, this camera always had an appeal to me because I wouldn't have to get involved with the Xtrans sensor, though apparently there is no problem with the Xtrans... I've never experienced it, hence my hesitation.

Wish I could offer some first hand advice. I know Rico knows a great deal about this stuff. Perhaps he'll take a look in here soon?

I haven't got any experience with the x-a1, only with the e1. And I haven't got a problem with the x-trans, also not in nature shots. But mostly I do shoot in JPEG, so I don't have to convert raw. I really like the film rendering Fuji has (but I guess the a1 got that too).. And the e1 is really cheap now I think...

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten any feedback, Steve. Personally, this camera always had an appeal to me because I wouldn't have to get involved with the Xtrans sensor, though apparently there is no problem with the Xtrans... I've never experienced it, hence my hesitation.

Wish I could offer some first hand advice. I know Rico knows a great deal about this stuff. Perhaps he'll take a look in here soon?

Oh, that's fine BB. I'm figuring it's a bit on the quiet side for this site lately because the summer weather has arrived and everyone's out shooting. It'll wait.

I am thinking about getting an X-A1 kit as the prices for them open box are pretty tempting, but then I also noticed similar prices for the X-M1 kit open box. I'm currently a Sony SLT shooter and thinking about going Fuji for the better color and hopefully a camera I can better bond with.

I am thinking about getting an X-A1 kit as the prices for them open box are pretty tempting, but then I also noticed similar prices for the X-M1 kit open box. I'm currently a Sony SLT shooter and thinking about going Fuji for the better color and hopefully a camera I can better bond with.

I just got my x-a1 yesterday and love it!! I had been using a nex5r. I have A LOT to learn but am certain I made the right choice getting into the Fuji X series.

AF and general speed, they seem the same, I just did a quick test and it felt that the 16-50mm was what made it a smidge slower.

Between the X-A1 and the X30, it comes down to lens really. I'd get the X-A1 so I could get the 35mm f1.4.

I just got my x-a1 yesterday and love it!! I had been using a nex5r. I have A LOT to learn but am certain I made the right choice getting into the Fuji X series.

good choice!

So for those of you who got the X-A1, is there a reason why you chose it over the X-M1? Right now in the used market I noticed both are pretty much the same price, and I actually liked the handling for the X-A/M1 over the X-E1(partially because of the larger tilting display), and X-E2(which I found better than the X-E1).

So for those of you who got the X-A1, is there a reason why you chose it over the X-M1? Right now in the used market I noticed both are pretty much the same price, and I actually liked the handling for the X-A/M1 over the X-E1(partially because of the larger tilting display), and X-E2(which I found better than the X-E1).

Mine choice was mostly financial, it was cheaper. Also, I liked having the Bayer sensor because it might be the last chance to try it. It seems like the xtrans is the way of the future.

I take both models(X-M1 & X-A1) have AA filters? I'm really thinking going X-M1 as in the used market it cost the same as the X-A1, and people around here think X-Trans is the future. I actually like the grip/handling better on the X-A/M1 vs the X-E1, thought they could have added an extra button or two on the X-A/M1.

Battleaxe said:
"So for those of you who got the X-A1, is there a reason why you chose it over the X-M1? Right now in the used market I noticed both are pretty much the same price, and I actually liked the handling for the X-A/M1 over the X-E1(partially because of the larger tilting display), and X-E2(which I found better than the X-E1)."

I got a better deal on the xa1 double kit(US$609) so I went with that. Also, I have the x100 classic and have no problem with the Bayer CFA. I do mostly jpeg and the xa1 has a better tuned jpeg engine according to reviews. I must admit however, that I've been somewhat affected by the internet driven FUD regarding xtrans. :)

Back