Fuji { The DSLR Is Dead } | Things.That.Make.You.Go.Hmmm.Again.

I simply don't read tabloids.

Well, regardless of what appears to be snobbery on your part, Arias is a professional photographer, with views that can be backed up by proven skills. Your dismissiveness seems to have no basis beyond some sort of envy. Kind of disappointing. Oh well.

I pretty much have the same read as John B. I doubt very much that Zack really believes it's the best camera for every purpose and every photographer. He just loves the camera and thinks many people would love it too. Yes, he takes it far the way he says it, but it just seems to be his personality and him having fun.

Well, regardless of what appears to be snobbery on your part, Arias is a professional photographer, with views that can be backed up by proven skills. Your dismissiveness seems to have no basis beyond some sort of envy. Kind of disappointing. Oh well.

I can't imagine any proven skill that make hyperbole like "the DSLR is dead" or "the X100S is the best camera in the world" become magically true. It's interesting and revealing that you'd like to pull the discussion on an ad hominem level, though (snobbery, envy). Another proven tactic to generate attention and friction. Won't work with me, of course, but nice try. ;)

So what may be up next week? "Bayer is dead", or maybe "Fuji is the next Apple"? :)

I pretty much have the same read as John B. I doubt very much that Zack really believes it's the best camera for every purpose and every photographer. He just loves the camera and thinks many people would love it too. Yes, he takes it far the way he says it, but it just seems to be his personality and him having fun.

Fuji did very well in choosing Zack. He knows how to work the Internet, the buzz he creates has more impact than what Panasonic could accomplish by working with Charlie Waite. He's also a very nice guy with a unique personality, and as we all know, his pictures are terrific.

From Z.Aria's blog;
"....And that folks… is why I say Fuji is the new Leica and the x100s is the greatest camera I’ve ever owned....
The DSLR is dead to me. Yes, yes, yes. I have a Phase. That’s my workhorse camera for editorial and commercial work."

The whole post can be found here:
http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/gear-gadgets/fuji-x100s-review-a-camera-walks-into-a-bar/

Couple of things are clear. ZA isn't making a blanket statement for all cameras nor for all photographers, but rather for himself (see the first quote). And secondly, he admits that there are still uses for dSLRs (see second quote)- thus seemingly contradicting himself.
I neither doubt his enthusiasm for the X100s not his skill as a photographer. But I do think, as pointed out previously, he makes grandiose statements to ensure his name remains active in the photography community thus further driving his business. There is little doubt that he is a business man first, photographer second. There's nothing wrong with this, and it's what one has to do in order to earn a comfortable living in photography. Some of choose to read/watch his productions, others don't. I've not read or seen anything by him except for his little story about camera enjoying beverages in a pub (and it was amusing). I won't be returning to his site any time soon. I only have so much time I can spend on reading and currently it's being spent on this forum and a link provided by Flysurfer on equivalency.

I only have so much time I can spend on reading and currently it's being spent on this forum and a link provided by Flysurfer on equivalency.

That equivalency piece is much less entertaining reading than Zack, I can tell you that. ;) However, you may actually learn something quite useful for your hobby from that article. I certainly did.

I can also recommend a couple of Zeiss PDF papers in case you are interested in bokeh/DOF, or how to read MTF diagrams:

By the way, here's another, more practical and more opinionated article on equivalency: “Full Frame Equivalenceâ€￾ and Why It Doesn’t Matter @ Admiring Light

Most of it review for me. It's interesting to read it as a manifesto. I've read some of the papers Zeiss puts out, and do know how to read a MTF chart (though it never hurts to refresh the rusty ole memory). And lastly though I no doubt have quite a bit to learn, photography is a hobby but more accurately is the principle means with which I earn a living :)

That equivalency piece is much less entertaining reading than Zack, I can tell you that. ;) However, you may actually learn something quite useful for your hobby from that article. I certainly did.

I can also recommend a couple of Zeiss PDF papers in case you are interested in bokeh/DOF, or how to read MTF diagrams:

By the way, here's another, more practical and more opinionated article on equivalency: “Full Frame Equivalence†and Why It Doesn’t Matter @ Admiring Light

but more accurately is the principle means with which I earn a living :)

For, it's merely something I enjoy to dig my teeth in.

Speaking of professionals with pedigree, it's interesting to see the differences between Zack and Damien. Both are very vocal at promoting Fuji gear. Zack is sponsored by Fuji (at least he says so), Damien is not (at least he says so). Both have blogs, both offer photography workshops, and both using and love Fuji gear. I guess, the main difference is that Damien is using his blogs and website as a tool to promote his real business, while for Zack his blog is a real business.

I miss that! One of these months, I'm gonna take a break and shoot just for shooting's sake.

Speaking of professionals with pedigree, it's interesting to see the differences between Zack and Damien. Both are very vocal at promoting Fuji gear. Zack is sponsored by Fuji (at least he says so), Damien is not (at least he says so). Both have blogs, both offer photography workshops, and both using and love Fuji gear. I guess, the main difference is that Damien is using his blogs and website as a tool to promote his real business, while for Zack his blog is a real business.

Interesting observation. I'll take a look at Damien's blog.

It would be very interesting to hear how you conclude that Arias's blog is his business. There doesn't appear to be any advertising, and the promotion of his service seems no more assertive than Damien's...

Loving this thread. In particular the use of "Shill" and Hucksterism" by Ray. Words you very rarely hear these days....a shame because they really sound like what they are. Myself, I cannot wait for a thread where I can use "Snollygoster" and/or "Slubberdegullion".

John B - You didn't just enter the door to this community, you kicked it off it's hinges! Were you ever Robbery Squad? :0)

It would be very interesting to hear how you conclude that Arias's blog is his business. There doesn't appear to be any advertising, and the promotion of his service seems no more assertive than Damien's...

The illusion isn't the old magician producing a fish bowl (complete with fish and water) out of thin air (presumably carried between his legs and under his robe for the entirety of the show); that he's convinced the audience of him being old is the real illusion.

The illusion isn't the old magician producing a fish bowl (complete with fish and water) out of thin air (presumably carried between his legs and under his robe for the entirety of the show); that he's convinced the audience of him being old is the real illusion.

:D

That's good.

What I like too is when different magicians have a good snark at each other for using different approaches, when in fact their acts can be complimentary.

Of course Zack uses his site to promote his business. As does Damien. They both use the web to spread the word. Others do it too. The various forums under this banner do it. Rico does it.

Zack didn't use 'The DSLR is dead' as a headline, knowing others would pick up on it and use it. The phrase was contained within his review. Damien endorses Tiffen filters on his site. They are both professional photographers. What I don't see is that Zack's site is his business; that implies to me that it is his main source of income, the core of what he does. Given his client base, I don't think that is the case.

Rico uses a different approach. We have a relatively new camera system in the X family. Through generally good posts, and a positioning as an X-Pert, Rico and his skills are promoted. Different magicians.

I wouldn't pay much attention to any if there wasn't value. For me, Rico supplies some value in assisting in an understanding of how the gear works, and tips on how to use it effectively. Zack's value is more about the camera in action, and since he certainly knows how to use it, I'll pay attention. I enjoy his approach: technically skilled, but not heavy about it. I like the results too: interesting shots without the over-processing that has become common. His 500px portfolio are useful to me.

On their own, each magician leaves me wanting a bit more. Luckily there are other acts to fill in the gaps. The additional entertainment comes when one snipes at the other.

Not Dead to Me.
Doing car show or events where you don't have to carry very far. D700 low light and color's. It is a great system. Besides when shooting a larger camera and lens people tend to stay out of your shots:)
X100s great for street saving to get one.
M43 cameras. Great for hiking or going place where you would like to have several lens. Very light and wonderful imaging.

Actually, I don't have a real business, I am still doing this for fun. I am confident my publisher is making money with my book (he should given that he keeps about 90% of all proceeds), but I don't and never intended to generate a profit with this particular book. The travel costs alone amount to a multiple of what I could possibly make. But I am not complaining at all, I just wanted to have a good and useful book out in the world that I could refer to anytime, instead of answering the same questions and problems again and again. I think I have accomplished that. It was also a good reason to get an NDA from Fruji, so I can stay ahead of the curve. I enjoy that, too. If you want to make real money, better write a book on how to take better photographs with an iPhone. ;) Don't write it for a camera that is a niche product that doesn't sell well.

X-Pert Corner is free, too, I don't get any money out of writing it. Maybe I'll get some participation in the future, that would be nice. I guess I should ask for it. I chose Fujirumors because Patrick was the first to offer the opportunity and because his site has a large and captive Fuji X audience. It is convenient, I think it's a good fit. Fuji was a bit shocked, they didn't like it at first, but hey, they don't pay or own me, so I went there, anyway, and look what happened: I was the only one to get the telezoom prototype and publish actual sample pics. Seems like they quickly got over their concerns. :) The simple reason for starting the blog was that I felt there was a gap between my daily forum writing and yearly books. I wanted to close the gap with a blog I could update just as needed on a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis. It started as a simple bartering deal: Publisher gets mentioned to sell more books and in return offers useful content from the book. Well, it quickly evolved into much more than that.

I certainly want to spread the word, because the more readers go to my columns or read my book, the less I have to repeat myself answering the same questions over and over again. I am a happy Fuji X user, and I like others to be happy X users, too - that is, IF they let me help them. Fuji cameras are a bit different, sometimes quirky, so people have questions (I receive PMs and eMails every single day), especially those coming from the different world of Canikon. I don't think that any X is the best camera in the world, not for me and not for anybody. I offer advice and my opinion, that's all, but I want to do it in an efficient way, including links to my articles. That's why I can't post much over at Robert's X forum, anymore, as he doesn't allow links to "competing sites", and unfortunately, he considers Fujirumors a "competing site". No such problem here or in the other forums I go to.

Are Zack or Steve and Ken and similar bloggers writing much that actually helps readers to better understand or use their X cameras? That's not my impression. I reckon they are targeting those who haven't bought the cameras, yet. OTOH, I am targeting those who are already using one and may be struggling in some way. Much smaller audience. So I guess writing the practically useful stuff with all those boring explanations, tipps and tricks and shortcuts etc. is my job, then. ;) I like to dig deep, for example I "reverse engineered" Fuji's EXR logic to 95% w/o any help or input from Fujifilm. I thought that knowing what is really going on could be helpful when using my X10.

Of course, my savings aren't unlimited, so I may eventually run out of dough and may need to find a way to actually earn as much with my work as I spend doing it. That may materialize when Fuji releases a bunch of more popular X cameras. Real best-sellers. Not sure this is ever going to happen, though. I am absolutely not adverse to becoming filthy rich with my books or a blog (I will take your money anytime!), but it would be more of a side-effect. It's not the reason for my work, that would be stupid. You have to consider it a labor of love. I write about the X because it's fun, and as long as I can afford that fun, I will keep doing so. Of course, I need to choose my book topics carefully, as my publisher certainly wants to make a profit, they are a real business, after all. There is no envy whatsoever, I am as happy as I could be. I'd love to keep it up forever.

I am amazed that there may be people out there who might actually think that my blog or my book was any kind of "calculated, profit-oriented business" to earn a living. It's not, it's what I do for fun, it's my hobby (but I am certainly trying to do the best I can to deliver professional quality), it actually costs me money so far (but what hobby doesn't?), and as soon as the fun is over or I can't afford it, anymore, I'll (have to) stop. If you have cool ideas about earning more $$$ w/o killing the fun or giving up my independence, drop me a note. I am always open to suggestions, it's just something I haven't thought about much, so far. My focus was on writing and discussing useful, helpful stuff and staying ahead of the curve regarding new X products, because that was the fun and interesting part, and this keeps me busy for a large part of my day, apart from my other hobby, which is my friend's new riding stable (not making any profit either, so far, go figure!). That's why there are so many horse pictures. :) I really hope that I'll be able to keep it up without resorting to tabloid-style hyperbole. As far as I am concerned, Bayer is not dead, and neither is the DSLR. Fuji ain't building the world's best cameras, either, but they are building interesting, different cameras. That's what I like about them. They are niche players, just like me. They aren't mainstream, and neither am I. ;)

Ahem.

Good afternoon [or insert time zone approprate greeting of your choice]

Are we all playing nice here...?

Goooood.

I like lively, on topic debate. Makes the world go 'round.

But I do get disappointed if I see any sniping at each other. I'm sure we can all air our opinions and differences in a mature and affable manner.

No letting me down, now.

Thank you kindly for your attention. Carry on. I shall be paying attention from this comfy chair over here.

Sent from another Galaxy

I'd say the DSLR isn't dead - yet, but I'd say it's not far off. I liked what he said and I enjoyed the video.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The question is: What will eventually replace DSLRs as mainstream cameras? I am sure you have seen those tourists lugging around DSLRs with kit zooms and using them in fully automated mode. Will they be replaced by MILCs? Or will it be devices like Google Glass? Or will better smartphones eventually take over? It's hard to tell, but it seems clear to me that it is not very smart to schlepp around a DSLR with a kit zoom if you have no clue about photography. People still do it because they are led to believe that it's the camera that takes a photograph, so in order to take better pictures, they think the have to use a "better camera", aka a DSLR.

I am pretty sure that Canikon are afraid of the day when "mainstream people" realize that they don't need (nor want) a DSLR to take pictures of their kids, dog or vacation trip. That day will come, eventually. It will be the day when DSLRs remain relevant for professionals and demanding enthusiasts only, turning them into niche products (like medium format cameras are today).

The question is: What will eventually replace DSLRs as mainstream cameras? I am sure you have seen those tourists lugging around DSLRs with kit zooms and using them in fully automated mode. Will they be replaced by MILCs?

Perhaps they'll be replaced by MILCs with kit zooms in full auto mode ;)

Back