Fuji { The Case of the Missing Eyepiece } | X-Pro1 Replacement

Once in a blue moon, something would happen that just baffles me: I "lost" the eyepiece on my X-Pro1. As to how it manages to "unscrew itself", I don't know. :confused: Probably lost it during one of my hikes or bike rides. And unfortunately, Fujifilm isn't so friendly when it comes to stocking replacement parts. ;)

So after some searching, I finally found a replacement that works. It's a Nikon brand, UPC number: 18208 02925, made for the good old Nikon FM3A/FM2/FA/FE2 type cameras. It's not exactly flush as you can see in the pics below, and it carries quite a hefty price at $27+tax a pop - special ordered from Keeble and Shuchat here in the Bay Area...but I'd rather have the piece of mind that my OVF/EVF outer glass element is safer with it on than without it.

Hope this helps someone else who is part of the "X-Pro1 Lost Eyepiece" club in solving his/her case of the missing eyepiece. :)

Cheers from the Bay,
{h}

Nikon.To.The.Rescue!

EyePieceFujiNikonReplacement_zps9b8f8246.jpg

X-Pro1.Missing.Eyepiece.

EyePieceFujiNikonReplacement-001_zps506d5c2c.jpg

X-Pro1.With.Nikon.Eyepiece.

EyePieceFujiNikonReplacement-002_zps48ff7c47.jpg

I suffered a similar experience with the eyepiece mysteriously unscrewing itself and coming off, fortunately I was able to find it undamaged (in a packed crowd during a parade!), I tend to check the eyepiece now from time to time to make sure it is screwed on tight, but it's good to know where to get it from just incase I do lose it.

I suffered a similar experience with the eyepiece mysteriously unscrewing itself and coming off, fortunately I was able to find it undamaged (in a packed crowd during a parade!), I tend to check the eyepiece now from time to time to make sure it is screwed on tight, but it's good to know where to get it from just incase I do lose it.

That's super awesome that you were able to realize that it had unscrewed and found it! and in the middle of a parade of all places! Alas, I didn't even realize until I saw the "scratches" on the outer ring. :(

Cosina and Zeiss eyepieces also work. 19mm is the operative size.

Gary

Hi Gary - the tough part for me was to "hunt" for the right part/UPC number. I found it difficult to really be sure when buying from Amazon or eBay to ensure the right fit. Thank goodness for the folks at Keeble and Shuchat here in the Bay, I came in and we pretty much tried every single Nikon eyepiece until this one was determined as the right one. They special ordered it for me at no risk...but ended up fitting after all.

Thanks for the tip! It's good to know there are other options. :)

Over the years, I've lost a ton of eyepieces and eyecups and it can be very annoying. The factory eyepiece, I believe, does nothing more than keep dust from entering the camera. The Zeiss and Cosina eyepieces are rubber coated ... the Nikon eyepiece is for their film cameras and I've only seen metal ones. So be careful if you wear glasses. You can purchase large eyecups that will fit the Nikon eyepiece.

Gary

That part can unscrew partly because many of us replaced the original with one that serves as a diopter adjustmentt. I think with all of the complexity of the X-Pro OVF (various magnifications requiring god knows how many moveable parts), an adjustable diopter just didn't work in that viewfinder, unlike the simpler X100 and XE1. When I first got the camera I went over to Photo Village in NYC (where I was lucky enough to be staying at the time) and tried out a couple of different strength lenses, and found the one that worked for me (a +1 lens). Within days, I'd lost it also, so I went back, got another, and tightened it with the force of the gods and its never come loose since. I actually got worried that I wouldn't ever be able to get it off, but I tried and with a bit of effort, it unscrewed. But I screwed it back in tight and its not MOVING, unless intentionally, and not easily then. I've had the second lens for almost a year now without any issues. So just torque it down as much as you can with your fingers and you should be OK. And check it from time to time for peace of mind... Not a huge deal at $20 per but an inconvenience at least.

-Ray

Over the years, I've lost a ton of eyepieces and eyecups and it can be very annoying. The factory eyepiece, I believe, does nothing more than keep dust from entering the camera. The Zeiss and Cosina eyepieces are rubber coated ... the Nikon eyepiece is for their film cameras and I've only seen metal ones. So be careful if you wear glasses. You can purchase large eyecups that will fit the Nikon eyepiece.

Gary

Hi Gary - this particular Nikon one that I got is rubber coated, but thank you for the heads-up in case I need to replace it another one in the future. Have a great weekend ahead! :cool:

That part can unscrew partly because many of us replaced the original with one that serves as a diopter adjustmentt. I think with all of the complexity of the X-Pro OVF (various magnifications requiring god knows how many moveable parts), an adjustable diopter just didn't work in that viewfinder, unlike the simpler X100 and XE1. When I first got the camera I went over to Photo Village in NYC (where I was lucky enough to be staying at the time) and tried out a couple of different strength lenses, and found the one that worked for me (a +1 lens). Within days, I'd lost it also, so I went back, got another, and tightened it with the force of the gods and its never come loose since. I actually got worried that I wouldn't ever be able to get it off, but I tried and with a bit of effort, it unscrewed. But I screwed it back in tight and its not MOVING, unless intentionally, and not easily then. I've had the second lens for almost a year now without any issues. So just torque it down as much as you can with your fingers and you should be OK. And check it from time to time for peace of mind... Not a huge deal at $20 per but an inconvenience at least.

-Ray

Hi Ray - thanks for the insight. I understand the reason for the feature - although in my case with -6 I am blind as a bat without my contacts - but I'm still baffled as to how easily it unscrews itself from the factory. From now on, I'll be sure to tie it down from time to time. :D

Hi Ray - thanks for the insight. I understand the reason for the feature - although in my case with -6 I am blind as a bat without my contacts - but I'm still baffled as to how easily it unscrews itself from the factory. From now on, I'll be sure to tie it down from time to time. :D

I've lost two of these already, so it pays to check every now and then and re-tighten. Like Ray, I've gotten mine from Photo village in NYC, although you can also order them from Adorama or B&H online.

Mine came off too, about a week after the camera arrived. Luckily it landed at my feet. I screwed it back on with the same technique applied by Ray - forcefully. It hasn't come off again, but I do check it now and again.

My husband bought the X-Pro1 and two hours later his eyepiece has gone..... lost!
Although you can read on various forums that many people lost the eyepiece, fuji does not recognize the improper functioning.... very strange...
So we orderd a new one and before we placed it on the X pro we did a little nail polish on the eyepiece before screw it on the oculair. It is stuck on the camera now!!

Back