The 9th Salon Challenge - His/her point of view WINNER REVEALED

it's a different kind of beach, but it certainly reminds me of some of Sue's shots. I'd have put a seagull in there somewhere ;)

Luke, are you supposed to guess SO quickly or wasn't my entry enough of a challenge :), and anyway, how do you know you are correct? :D

Barrie

PS, as an ornithologist I feel it my duty to point out that there are no such creatures as seagulls, they are GULLS, not all rely on the sea (told you I could be grumpy, and on a day when I had a good nights sleep and got out of bed on the right side)

I'm not sure if this will be my entry.....I have a few others shot that I need to process. I'm not sure this is successful in what I was trying to do, but I wonder if it is close enough for someone to guess whom I was trying to emulate.
View attachment 62856
T is for Tree by Lukinosity, on Flickr

though the tree and shadow in b/w tricked people into guessing I was channeling pdh, I was actually aspiring to be the great photographer Antonio Ramirez. I even cropped square like his recent Rollei shots and was trying to show some local flavor of my hometown which he does so well. In many ways though it still looks like a shot that Luke took. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Just choosing a style of processing or similar subject matter only scratches the surface. It's given me a lot to think about.

Karen, my principal influence was more in evidence when I shot it in color ( I thought), but I certainly see some pdh in there as well. I have a few others that were inspired by him. Your shot is dripping with krugorg. I plan on doing one in his style as well.

Hope I did my source of inspiration justice. It seems the source in question has since moved on to "greener pastures" stylistically, but I always found this style (the processing, not so much the composition) one of the most recognisable on SC.

My "muse" was BBW, and in particular the processing style she had going on in the first half of the year :)

SAM_3385-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Firstly, my apologies for setting a challenge that probably involved a lot of work if it were to be attended to seriously.

Since there were only six images submitted, one would assume I'd have a much easier time of it selecting a winner... ha! That's all I have to say about that.

Two images stood out for me, both attempting to look at the world through Kyle's eyes, and they were both damn good.

I have spent a wonderful hour trawling through Kyle's flickr stream. (If one hasn't done that before, drop everything and go take a look. It's all kinds of wonderful)

I really loved Karen's take on Kyle's way of looking at the world. There's just so much to see in this picture. The scooter, the foreground of nettles (is it?), the road cutting through the frame, the cryptic "rehab workshop" sign. I especially love the processing, the layers of weathering on the image, the frame, it's just delicious.

I love the graphic quality of pdh's image. I especially like the way the sky is held in control (going through Kyle's flickr stream, I felt that most, if not all, of his images pay careful attention to the skies). I love the sense of isolation this image conveys. Overall I think this image portrays best the spirit of this challenge and I congratulate pdh on a very very well made image.

Thank you all for taking part!

Blimey.
Without having read this thread again after updating my posting, I just emerged from the darkroom, where one of the last things I printed was a little version of that very image*** ...

20121217-1.jpg

Synchronicity? Or Morphic Resonance?

Thank you very much, Boid ... I'm extremely flattered

EDIT
***Hmm well, not "that very image" at all, so apologies all round ... it is an image from the same roll however ...

Back