The 9th Salon Challenge - His/her point of view WINNER REVEALED

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
I've been seeing marvelous images submitted on this forum for a while now. I even have a sense of the sensibilities you guys bring on board while making your images. Given that a number of you are regulars on the forum, and are (mostly) aware of each other's style/sensibilities, my challenge for this contest is simply this-

"His/her point of view"

Make an image in the style/sensibility/fashion/content/treatment of a fellow photographer from SC. Do feel free to mention the name of the user who inspired you OR you could choose not to include the name and have us run around guessing who it is. Its entirely up to you. At the end of the contest, you would be required to share this info however, just in case no one guesses the name of your 'influence'.

Because this potentially can be a barrel-full of fun, I shall be breaking all norms and taboos and entering a photograph as well. Needless to say it will not be in the running as a contender of course.

New users, please do browse around and pick up a picture/style from any gallery that catches your fancy and make a submission as well.

I hope everyone participates in this rather mad challenge and has loads of fun!

The normal rules apply:

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. There are several ways to add your photos to the current salon thread: 1. upload your entry to your SC user gallery (all entries must be present in an SC gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the SC forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun. (Don't know about the "gallery" yet? Then read this: SC Gallery FAQ please read it carefully if you are new to using the site's software.) 2. embed from Flickr or another similar web hosting photo site and 3. use the attachment method. All three are explained here:How to post images in forum threads

3. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

4. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

My mum certainly thinks I'm a genius, but then again she says her television instructs her to put doilies over every piece of visible furniture. BTW cant wait to see what you come up with, given that you make very distinctive individual images.

Just thinking about it is exciting. Partly because I'm going on an imaginary spending spree and imaginary vacations.

So far (in my mind), I've bought an old Rollieflex (and an M9) to shoot in Puerto Rico, a K-5 for a quick trip down under, a GRD and a GXR for my trip to Philly to shoot a bit of street and then a mixed bag of Oly gear, a Sigma DP and a NEX with some manual glass to shoot all over the UK. I'm hoping to fit in some quick jaunts to Bangalore, Serbia, France and a few other stops as well, but I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Having been in the position of setting one of these challenges, I felt that the early rush of entries was from people posting from their "back catalogue" where they had a suitable image that fitted the subject matter. I had hoped that people might find the time to shot with the challenge in mind, but doubtless many have much greater demands on their time than I do. Having an image ready to post is unlikely to be the case with this particular challenge, so that would go some way to explaining the slow start.

That being said I doubt that I will be submitting an entry. I am attempting, not often enough as successful as I would like, to develop my own style and technique from the initial aspects of subject composition, exposure at the time of pressing the shutter right up to the end of the post processing.

I don't expect anyone else on the forum to attempt something in my style, no more do I expect to try and emulate the style of someone else.

There are many photographers contributing to this forum who's input I appreciate, admire, whatever, but at the end of the day I'm my own man and go my own way. I might incorporate techniques from other that I find work for me, however my style is my style.

So, as already stated I am unlikely to post an entry on the basis that it diverts me from my own individual quest and in that I'm finding it hard enough to obtain the results I seek without trying to emulate others.

I trust that's not too brutal a critique of my position.

Barrie

I understand your concern Barrie. I did think long and hard about it before posting the theme. I just thought it might be cathartic to jump out of one's comfort zone for once, and have fun looking at the world through someone else's eyes/camera/processing techniques.

Hang in there Boid, I'm sure that there are people who will rise to the challenge. I live on my own, always have done. I have great difficulty in relating to other people (aspergers syndrome) so I do tend to have rather individual thoughts about many things that aren't shared by anyone else. That's one reason why I rarely engage in conversations such as this. I too thought long and hard before posting my comments. I sincerely hope that you get a good number of entries, give it time, I certainly will be interested in what is posted and you never know, I might just attempt something, time will tell. Good luck to all.

Barrie

I think it's a good topic, Boid. I sometimes do look at a photo I've taken and think, "Hey, that reminds me of so-and-so."

I'm going to attempt participation this time, I think.

Well here's a surprise

Ok, so it's not a new shot, it is from my back catalogue (indeed some time ago). Now if grumpy, insular old me can post something to the challenge set by Boid, even if it's not the best example, where are the rest of you? :D :D :D

Does this in anyway remind you of someone who often posts shots of sun drenched beaches with the surf rolling in?

1020078.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Barrie

A shot that was meant to remind us of some of the submissions of Sue (kyteflyer)

Just wanted to say that this is a great challenge and a pleasingly difficult one.
I have to say that I didn't fully realize the time committment to leaning a new post process! :)
...and it still isn't good enough to show :(
may be resorting to plan 9 from outer space this weekend

Back