Fuji The 27f2.8 pancake maybe a permanent fixture on my xe1

thanks, that sound like something i read too. but is it that much smaller than the 18mm pancake that has the ap ring?

If u discount the depth due to the mount hw and look at it from the part of the lens that one can c sticking out the camera body, I would say it is anywhere from 20-30 percent difference in savings.

_DSC3858.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The prototype they showed off during one of the events may not have been a real working lens for all we know. As I remember it the aperture ring on that lens was much thinner then the one shown on the 18mm and was so close to the focusing ring to be almost touching... On the other hand they could have found a reliability or a usability issue w/ the two rings so close together.

Gary

I've been thinking about getting this lens before an upcoming long weekend in Sicily. The focal length sounds excellent - much the same as the Oly 20mm I had on a GF1. I used my XE1 with the 35mm on a trip to Turkey in June and got amazingly sharp images from it, so need to be sure the 27 can deliver in that department. It's size is very tempting though....!

I have both lenses, I think the 35f1.4 is better of the two lenses.. But for my needs to 27 is good enough. When I am on vacation w/ family taking the perfect picture is secondary. I want to be able to get the shot.. Having a light compact package is more important to me. Cameras like rx100, x100 or xe1 w/ 27 are the type of camera I will tend to grab for this, especially a city vacation. A sigma w/ a foveon if we are going to someplace like Yosemite.

Gary

Well, I picked up a 27mm on Saturday and used it for the rest of the weekend alongside my 35, 18-55, an Olympus OM 70-150 and a Leica 40mm Summicron. I was impressed by the compact size and the handling and indeed by the speed of focus.

The fov is almost identical to that of the Summicron on a film body hence is familiar to me. It makes a neat and compact "street" lens - but - not quite in the same league as the Ricoh GR set to 35mm crop. It certainly does not in any way replace the 35 1.4 but is a useful (and almost weightless) addition to the gadget bag. Images to follow, when I get a minute.

Sent from another Galaxy

I keep looking Gary, but so far nadda. Of course the 16-50 is supposed to be quite good...but I digress.

P.S. I am sooooooo sorry that I called you Bill:blush:, I'd just finished reading Bill's thread on the X-M1 and his name was apparently indelibly etched in my mind!

Now I can't go back and edit to cover up my faux pas because you've quoted me.;)

No problem..

Btw.. One of the guys I know from another forum is thinking about getting the xm1 to put his 27 on. He currently has a xp1. He is going to pick up the 16-50 zoom since it is only a 100 more. Since the Fuji line doesn't have a fixed focal 16 yet, he was just planning to use it as his 16..(he is not a zoom type of shooter).

Gary

Back