Samsung the 16-80± contest is on!

JKLso

Regular
Name
jim
My two min-kits are Pentax for WR, NX300 for the rest :) and both companies are bringing forth a strong contender in this focal range. We think!
  • Pentax' 16-85mm has just arrived, weather sealed but f/3.5-5.6 means slow at the long end. Seven aperture blades, 1:4ish close focus, 72mm filters, 488g so pretty bulky. First images are good -- of course they are, why would a new owner post lousy ones? :blush: No rigorous tests/reviews are yet online but those should appear in the next few months.
  • Samsung is planning one for this year - or so They say - rumoured NX 16-80mm is a straight f/4 with OIS. Not an S-series so probably no seals, but likely more compact - and f/4 at 80mm is definitely preferable! Clearly no tests in the real world for a while :rolleyes:
Some comparisons can be dared without Samsung details. They've made nothing for NX with less than seven aperture blades that I know of so that should be a draw. Other than the 50-200s by each, the Samsung zoom lenses generally come in smaller and lighter even with OIS. Even if they needed 67mm aperture that would save cash on filters, and maybe they could manage 62mm? Even with no true facts the Samsung is pretty appealing - but price and general IQ will definitely help to solve this riddle in the future. Hopefully soon!

Other folks have Canon Nikon or Sony equivalent lenses to compare, about which I know nothing.. er slightly less than the Samsung. ;)

I expect one of these to be in one of my bags late this year - let the contests begin! :daz:

I would use the Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens as a yardstick for an APS-C ILC. It weighs 308g with a 55mm filter thread diameter. There is also the Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens which weights 427g with a 72mm filter thread diameter.

I'm not a Pentax user but the one thing that is has been shown is that Samsung can and are making optically impressive lenses. I don't actually care too much about it being an S lens if it keeps the size and weight down, but it might be one because Samsung will want to expand the number of S lenses they can advertise.

16-80 f4 would be a great FL but I would take a 16-70 f4 with the Sony size&weight.

I should first temper any enthusiasm I have for a Samsung f4 zoom by acknowledging that the rumours for this lens have been around for a long time now. If it does come to pass, I think that it bodes well that Sony/Zeiss have been able to design a similar lens that is quite compact because Samsung has consistently shown that they can make lenses either smaller, lighter, or sharper (and sometimes all three combined).

Back