Canon Tamron 60mm 2.0 macro on the EOS-M

wt21

Hall of Famer
Need to do more testing tomorrow, but here's the 60mm 2.0 macro initial tests on the EOS-M. A $200 lens :)

Pics are f/2.0, 2.8 and 5.6.

The spectral highlights are clipped at f/2.0, but round out nicely at 2.8. At 5.6 the get a bit geometric. Hope to shoot more with it tomorrow.

AF is "fast" (in that the motor moves fast), but it's a long throw, and it hunts a bit for macro, but I plan to do mostly MF anyway. It does have full time MF. It's got a pretty solid build, is "quiet" (for a Tamron) and is a nice size on the EOS-M. It's not small, but it's quite manageable. Also ships with a hood.

20131205-IMG_7249.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20131205-IMG_7250.jpg

20131205-IMG_7251.jpg

Super disappointed in this lens.

I thought I could live with slow AF, but NO AF is really the issue.

Let's say you point the camera and you are a little to the far side of focus. Trying to AF, the lens racks PAST the focus point, all the way to the near end (this is a long macro throw!) then stops. You then have to lift your finger and half-press for AF again and it will rack all the way back to focus point, pass it, then come back and finally settle on the focus point, which it then promptly and consistently front focuses on.

OK, so it's an MF lens, which is kind of what I figured anyway. Except the focus ring is anything but smooth. It's hard to turn, and given that I'm trying to hold the small-body EOS-M, that means I'm always fighting the torque.

The optics are pretty good, but the lens is unusable. Even for $200.

Back