"Taking photographs ruins the memory, research finds " ?

Thanks for sharing!
I concede there may be some advantage to living fully in the moment, and I've known people whose cameras I've wanted to confiscate, but
1) I'd want to see the size and methodology of the study before I put my camera away entirely

2) Is the problem that picture taking prevents memories from taking hold or that the photographer concentrates on one thing and misses others? The article says the first and the researcher seems to say the second.

3) One has to balance an impaired memory of a recent event against the possibility of no memory at all of a distant event. Everything's a trade-off.

I don't know. Given that my pictures of my parent's 25th wedding anniversary, or my father's 70th birthday surprise party are there to help everyone recall the event. I'm not sure I'd have wanted NOT to photograph it. Certainly for some of the event I recall the photographic images of it, but I have distinct memories of things I did not photograph, such as setting up the sound system with my cousin for the anniversary, and my father being overcome with emotion when he realized that his oldest child -- my sister from the other side of the country -- was there to celebrate his birthday. My father died in 1985, a week after his 72nd birthday, and thirty years later the memories seem pretty secure. And though I had a camera to my eye enough to take over 4000 photos during my month long trip to Asia a few years back (some of which really suck) I have vivid memories of that trip. I can close my eyes, call up a vision of the Nam Kahn, and have an almost palpable memory of Luang Prabang. And quite aside from that, I enjoy my memories of taking pictures, which is not negligible.

So, I'm skeptical. So many studies overstate the importance of fairly minor results, that it pays, as Ruby says, to know a little about the methodology used for both gathering and interpreting the information. And if it is true, well, I'll have my photos to remind of things when I've gone quite gaga.

"A study has shown that taking pictures rather than concentrating fully on the events in front of us prevents memories taking hold. "

This might be the key statement. I think those of us who are more serious about getting good photos are concentrating on the event, whereas maybe the happy iPhone snappers are concentrating on, well, snapping.

OH WOW! People who were told to remember something remembered it? And people who were asked to photograph something didn't remember it as well?

Dr Henkel and her team carried out an experiment in a museum, to learn if taking pictures of the exhibits was hindering the ability of visitors to remember what they had seen.

A group of university students were led on a tour at the Bellarmine Museum of Art at Fairfield University and asked to either photograph or try and remember objects on display.

The next day their memory was tested.

The trick to remembering details about bunches of artwork coming at you all at once is to photograph the labels!!

The other way is to look at less and savor what you see, which can be done while photographing. There's no reason you cannot photograph something and also study to remember it in detail: archeologists do it all the time. What happens if you tell the photographers in the test to photograph AND remember?

I like to have photographs of places I've been, people I've seen, relatives, friends and so on, but I get what they are saying... the camera for some people tends to replace the event... in that they are so busy concentrating on photographing the event, they forget to enjoy it for its own sake, which will carry its own memories. I don't think they are saying don't take photographs, but they are saying (or perhaps its just me saying) don't take photographs to the exclusion of enjoying what you're there for.

I like to have photographs of places I've been, people I've seen, relatives, friends and so on, but I get what they are saying... the camera for some people tends to replace the event... in that they are so busy concentrating on photographing the event, they forget to enjoy it for its own sake, which will carry its own memories. I don't think they are saying don't take photographs, but they are saying (or perhaps its just me saying) don't take photographs to the exclusion of enjoying what you're there for.

Exactly right. Of course, often I'm out on a photo-specific outing, which is different.

"A study has shown that taking pictures rather than concentrating fully on the events in front of us prevents memories taking hold. "

This might be the key statement. I think those of us who are more serious about getting good photos are concentrating on the event, whereas maybe the happy iPhone snappers are concentrating on, well, snapping.

I believe they are refering to over shooting. Taking shot after shot after shot after shot.

I'm guilty of this on a disturbingly regular basis. Many times, I find myself experiencing an event through a viewfinder or LCD, and no matter how good this LCD is, it is no substitute for being present in the moment. Sometimes, my almost compulsive photography detracts from experiencing and enjoying an event as it unfolds.

As I look back through my photos, though, they are excellent aide memoirs. I can recall the 'spaces between the photos', the times when I didn't have a camera glued to my face.

At other times, the photography becomes part of the experience, for better or worse. Photography is a source of endless joy for me, so it can enhance an otherwise dull experience, or fundamentally change it.

I have thought this for a long time. I rarely take my camera for events. I genuinely like to watch without taking photos. I like to use the camera when the propose is to take pictures. It drives my wife nuts, as she uses her camera to record events.

While some of this is certainly true, it's more a general problem, than a photo-specific one.
E.g. some people are also constantly playing with their smart phones when they're out for lunch with other people, not paying attention at all.

Generalized you might say: Don't put material objects between yourself and your surroundings...

A happy medium is best I think - as most of the time.
I'm currently going through old harddrives (preparing a photobook for my parents) and am delighted with the memories that come back. I'm glad I took all these photos...

Back