Storms sweeps through the Mid-Atlantic in the USA - 3 million without power

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
On another thread there are several of us who've been complaining about the heat waves...but things have been really bad for some who have been hit with a terrible summer storm/s...along with what has been a high heat wave in parts of these same areas.

Mostly I'm posting this to send a hello out to any of our SC members who may have been hit by this big sweeping storm system...and hoping that you're all OK. If you've lost power, I don't suppose we'll be hearing from you for a while. Fingers crossed and everything else that everyone is alright.

Here's a link to the NY Times article:After Storms in Mid-Atlantic, Stifling Heat and Power Loss (Published 2012) - which includes a slideshow, as well.

Please anyone who is in any of these areas let us know how you and your friends and family are doing.

I was glad to see that Jason AKA Djarum seems to have been spared this time around.

I was one of them, but my office still has power. Here's a piece of metal roof ripped off our building.

roof-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wow! Thank goodness everyone is AOK.

In reading that article's description of things it make my hair stand on end. I am really glad you are AOK!

An excerpt:
Officials with the National Weather Service described the storm as “a derecho” — a long line of ferocious thunderstorms that produce a large swath of damaging winds. The storm moved from the Ohio Valley east to the mid-Atlantic states at a speed of 60 miles an hour, producing winds in some places of up to 90 miles an hour, said Daniel Porter, a meteorologist with the service.

We had power back after 14 hrs but it was on and off every 10 minutes till midnight. There was not much damage in our street, eg small branches on the road but I have seen bigger trees down on the main road when we were driving. Hopefully they will get the power soon esp today & tomorrow it is around 100F in DC. At least our basement was cooler then the rest of the house.

glad everyone states they are ok. Here in Texas we get these huge storms on a regular basis, they can be terrifying.

I'm on back-up generator at home, no AC, no running water. After this= need to buy a second generator for the Well. And a window-unit AC.

We had a massive tree come down on our street, basically a "pipe-stem" that serves 3 houses. Could not get out, my Neighbor cut it up and I helped clear it. Hot and Sweaty work, but at least we can get out.

The 911 (emergency phone service) failed but Verizon Internet stayed up. What's wrong with that picture? You can send an Email, but not make a 911 call.

Brian, I was worried about you and your family. I'm glad you're all AOK, but feel for you in the intense heat that's been bearing down on you guys. Our friends in Charleston, WV, have no power (they do have water because they're not on well water) and unbelievably (to us) don't have a generator.

So is your Verizon a cable or Fios? Cable, I'm thinking?

I really hope your electricity comes back very, very soon.

On top of everything, Nikki has pneumonia. On antibiotics, which means she must take pro-biotics because of ulcerative colitis. We keep the special order type, VSL-3, in the fridge. Has to be refridgerated. Made getting the generator and keeping it running for the last few days all worthwhile to have that stuff at hand.

We have FIOS, plugged the modems into the generator.

Oh, Brian - I am so sorry to read this regarding Nikki. Thank goodness you were smart enough to be ahead of it all by having a generator!

I knew you were a very smart guy and that you'd know what you needed to do, but I am sorry for this complication and for your daughter's illness. I hope that the electricity comes back full force very soon or that you can have Nikki stay someplace more comfortable. I'm pulling for you...even though I know my pulling means nothing when it comes to the electrical grid.

Thanks for getting back to us here and keep us posted, as you can.

I'm told that the repair crew will be out today.

This has been beyond frustrating. Nina called and got past the automated system to tell the dispatcher that a power line was down on our street. The dispatcher told her it was not a power line, that the computer shows ours are underground.

Today I called and asked "If it is not a power line, why did it start a fire when the repair crew reset the breaker up the street?" and "what's the point of reporting a downed power line through the automated system, and to the police, and the police reporting it, if the repair crews don't bother to check it and start a fire when resetting the breaker!" The neighbor saw the fire, and ran out with water to put it out.

The dispatcher upgraded us to "Emergency" after 5 days of having a downed power line that causes fires. Go Virginia Dominion Power.

Back