Stone circles

P.H

Regular
I don't know what our ancesters were up to six thousand years ago, they certainly liked big stones and putting them in circles. Thankfully they also put them in some lovely places, perfect for a bike ride, though that probably wasn't their intention:)
Rollright Stones in Oxfordshire, taken a few years ago on my Olympus C2000Z when 2MP seemed like a lot.
6063508130_c2708ce8db_z.jpg

Calanis Stones on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland. Taken a couple of years ago on my less serious Olympus C7000
6062769523_42187225cb_b.jpg

Ring O'Brodgar in the Orkney Isles in Scotland. A huge circle that isn't possible to get in one shot with my camera. Taken earlier this year with the LX5.
6062769533_4789986b23_b.jpg

This one a bit more local to me. Arbor Low in Derbyshire. The stones are no longer standing, though the earthworks around them are very impressive. Taken this morning with the LX5
6062837341_2b14005160_b.jpg

So, were there any Neolithics near you, what were they up to?

I heard about the ring in Derbyshire recently but haven't managed to see it. I'll be near there in the next week, I'm working in Stoke all week and will be visiting pals in Ashbourne, Bakewell and Buxton in the evenings, largely because I love the drive up. Doubt I'll manage to get much camera play in!

hmm I'm afraid the western half of my country (where I live) used to be one big swamp / estuary, so the opportunities for advanced civilisations were sparse, and if they did build anything significant, most of it has vanished beneath the surface...

I heard about the ring in Derbyshire recently but haven't managed to see it. I'll be near there in the next week, I'm working in Stoke all week and will be visiting pals in Ashbourne, Bakewell and Buxton in the evenings, largely because I love the drive up. Doubt I'll manage to get much camera play in!

At some point in that triangle you'll pass within a mile or two, it's just off the A515 Ashbourne to Buxton road. It's well worth a visit for the views as well as the henge. Though you'll not be short of views anywhere in the area.

Back