1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SSD and Lightroom

Discussion in 'Fuji' started by Tim Williams, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    In an attempt to make Lightroom more tolerable I'm having my IT department ( son in law ) install a 500 GB SSD drive. Don't know if this will have an affect on the actual program speed or not, but the computer will get me to the slow ass program faster. Geez :doh: Lol.

2. It helps, trust me. I have an SSD in my slow old Macbook. Makes a big difference to everything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    Thanks Sue, that gives me hope.

4. I also upgraded the RAM at the same time. It only came with 2GB, so I put 8GB in to replace it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Lumens

Lumens Regular

May 21, 2015
    Lightroom NEEDS an SSD drive. Think about it - you never have to save your work in Lightroom, Why? Because Lightroom save to the hard drive every move you make. So writing to the hard drive 90% of the time. The faster the hard drive the faster the software.

I have a 12" Macbook Air 1.6 GHz processor, 8 Gig RAM, and 128 Gig SSD drive. I slap a 1T SSD external drive on it and it Lightroom flies. No complaints here, I believe you will love the SSD drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Bobby Tingle

Bobby Tingle Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    I second, or third, whatever, that a SSD drive will make a huge difference in LR performance. Adobe made a lot of improvements for speed in the most recent update to LR. So if you haven’t upgraded LR, you may want to.

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the drive will only help if the processor and RAM are up to the challenge, but if you have a decent modern processor and 8 GB of RAM you should be fine

8. mma2

mma2 Rookie

Feb 27, 2017
    Roseville, CA
    I also second using a SSD for Lightroom.

I recently took things a step further, buying a motherboard that has two M.2 SSD slots, as per a recommended PC configuration in PhotographyLife.com. The M.2 SSDs attach directly to the motherboard and look more like thick RAM. The better M.2 SSDs (Samsung EVO Pros) are several times faster than the fastest SATA 6.0 SSDs.

I loaded Win10 and just Lightroom and a few frequently used apps on the M.2 512 GB SSD, everything else is installed to the 3 TB hard drive ("D" drive). Results are excellent, Windows fully boots from a cold start in 3 seconds, Lightroom is much, much improved. Batch processing imported RAW files takes a fraction of the former time (using a good hard drive).

Good Luck!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Adam Bonn

Adam Bonn Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2016
    Porto
    Adam Bonn
    I’m a windows user...

I’ve only ever had LR 6 on a SSD drive, and it’s quite painful to open, so I hate to think what it would be like on a mechanical disk

I think some apps work better on mac tbh... a buddy of mine built a dual boot hackbook and windows 10 desktop and LR on the Mac OS was far superior to the windows one, yet others (SilkyPix Pro) were better on windows

10. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    I'm running Windows 10 with 6 GB Ram and 1 Terabyte HD . 64 bit processor, AMD A8-5500 APU , Radeon HD Graphics . I'll let you know if it helps. Install this weekend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.