Sony Sony RX100 iii .. what are we doing wrong? Wal-Mart type Camera?

I thought I could use it for my car pictures, but this drab device has no pop at all..... Wal Mart sells better stuff then this potato.

f-39.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lucille, while I personally find the RX100 III images just ok .... and hey, I am one for pocket-ability, I just think your RX1 images prove how much the RX100 is lacking.
To the original poster, its possible your sample is not a good one - lens alignment or other problem. See if you can swap it for another.

Lucille, while I personally find the RX100 III images just ok .... and hey, I am one for pocket-ability, I just think your RX1 images prove how much the RX100 is lacking.
To the original poster, its possible your sample is not a good one - lens alignment or other problem. See if you can swap it for another.

The Rx100III sure doesn't have the pop of the Rx1, and yes the Rx1 blows the Rx100 away, as it should, but I personally love the goofyness (distortion) I get with the 24mm wide angle from the Rx100.. And for what it is in such a small package, it's images are quite nice, better then some of my older DSLR's.....

But if the ask me, I think the Rx1 makes all other cameras lacking......to me, the Rx1 at 35mm can't be beat by anything I have tried/used.

The Rx100III sure doesn't have the pop of the Rx1, and yes the Rx1 blows the Rx100 away, as it should, but I personally love the goofyness (distortion) I get with the 24mm wide angle from the Rx100.. And for what it is in such a small package, it's images are quite nice, better then some of my older DSLR's.....

But if the ask me, I think the Rx1 makes all other cameras lacking......to me, the Rx1 at 35mm can't be beat by anything I have tried/used.

At one point I really wanted to go with an RX100 RX1 combo as my entire photography kit, but unfortunately I like to do things that those two wouldn't be enough for me. I don't know anyone with an RX1, so still haven't tried one... might rent one someday, or maybe just finally get the Zeiss 35 for my A7.

At one point I really wanted to go with an RX100 RX1 combo as my entire photography kit, but unfortunately I like to do things that those two wouldn't be enough for me. I don't know anyone with an RX1, so still haven't tried one... might rent one someday, or maybe just finally get the Zeiss 35 for my A7.

I can say the Rx1 with its 35mm Zeiss is far superior to the 35mm f/2.8 on the A7, which I also own. The 55mm f/1.8 is the lens to buy for the A7, that one has the rx1 look and rendering to it.

(Dons 3 layers of heat retardant clothing) I know this is an old thread but I am with Doug and Ray on this one only much, much more so.

I have the Mark 11 and I utterly, utterly loathe the soulless, joyless piece of crap and wish I'd never bought it.

I should have known better and not bought one really - every time I played around with one in a shop I hated how it looked, how it handled, the fiddly handling ... just everything.

I bought into the hype, a friend took an image in a disused building that made it look a bit of a magical camera and her enthusiasm made me decide to give it a go. What a monumental waste of money it was for me.

I like buttons, dials and knobs. I like lots of manual controls and I love a dedicated exposure comp dial.

I went out a couple of weekends ago with my Fuji X10 and it really brought home to me how much enjoying using a camera mattered to me - the actual handling and made me realise how much I liked the X10 and how much I loathe the RX 100.

I have since treated myself to a Nikon P7700 and totally love it.

As others have said when one just doesn't gel with a camera - it's time to move on ... anyone in the UK want to buy an RX100 MK 11?

@ Lucille - you have certainly got some fantastic shots with yours - well done you. I wonder how much of that is also to do with your settings and any PP.

I'm the same, Mike. Have a mk2 and dislike it - it's just a tool, that whilst producing plenty of detail, gives me zero enjoyment. Wifey loves it, she took it to NYC and other places, so it's staying apparently

(Dons 3 layers of heat retardant clothing) I know this is an old thread but I am with Doug and Ray on this one only much, much more so.

I have the Mark 11 and I utterly, utterly loathe the soulless, joyless piece of crap and wish I'd never bought it.

I should have known better and not bought one really - every time I played around with one in a shop I hated how it looked, how it handled, the fiddly handling ... just everything.

I bought into the hype, a friend took an image in a disused building that made it look a bit of a magical camera and her enthusiasm made me decide to give it a go. What a monumental waste of money it was for me.

I like buttons, dials and knobs. I like lots of manual controls and I love a dedicated exposure comp dial.

I went out a couple of weekends ago with my Fuji X10 and it really brought home to me how much enjoying using a camera mattered to me - the actual handling and made me realise how much I liked the X10 and how much I loathe the RX 100.

I have since treated myself to a Nikon P7700 and totally love it.

As others have said when one just doesn't gel with a camera - it's time to move on ... anyone in the UK want to buy an RX100 MK 11?

@ Lucille - you have certainly got some fantastic shots with yours - well done you. I wonder how much of that is also to do with your settings and any PP.
Fear of what you described is what's kept me from buying Sony cameras generally which I do realise is possibly wrong and definitely silly, particularly with their breathtaking specs and image making capabilities. In fact, it's a bit embarrassing in view of the wonderful images posted in this and other forums by people I respect that use Sony gear. But we are what we are I suppose.

I purchased an RX100 (Mk1) a little over four years ago. After ≈two weeks I didn't like it, and nearly sold it. Decided to persevere, and after ≈three months it became a firm favourite.

I still have it, still use it, and still rate it very highly. IMO, it's a truly great little camera, if (but only if) it suits you. :)

Last edited:
A couple of years back I went to the local camera store to buy an RX100 (first version). The young bloke on the counter that day refused to sell me one at the advertised (discounted) price, so he lost the sale and I went and bought a Nikon 1 J1 instead (from a different store.) I did play with it on the day and if it had appealed to me a lot more, I may have fought for the discount... but it just didnt.

Well I have owned, sold and re-bought an RX100 Mk 1. I stick it in Auto mode most of the time and have 2 other memory settings set up for it - P mode, Raw+Jpeg, and P mode JPEG only with digital zoom. Occasionally I dabble with filters which I have as one of the options on the Fn button. Between those I need minimal button pressing and the thing hardly ever lets me down. The quality of the images nearly always surprises me and it's probably one of my favourite ever cameras. If I wanted to get more hands on with settings it would be a nightmare so I leave that for my DSLR :)

Often when you're travelling or at some social event there isn't much time to think about camera settings, and that's when the iAuto mode of the RX100 is invaluable. When I have a bit more time to consider what I'm doing I generally use either Aperture or Shutter Priority modes (usually the former) and I quite often dial in a bit of exposure compensation to stop the highlights blowing out. I use the front ring for exposure compensation, which suits me fine.

I think of the RX100 as a high quality point-and-shoot rather than an enthusiast's camera. You can take control of the camera settings if you want to, but many other cameras are better at that.

The RX100's real forte is the image quality available from such a small camera.

-R

Back