Sony Sony RX100 iii no touch screen. wow

How in the world would/could Sony introduce their new RX100 3 without a smart touch screen? I just bought one and thought I could get along without it, but I think after using Oly, Panny's etc with the up to date touch screens, I treat the RX100 3 like I do my old cameras or a ex-wife.. I don't even feel like using the RX100 3 without the touch screen. I put it away.. Sony missed the boat here.. mine is for sale here on the for sale section.. I think for a pocket camera that is easy to use, smaller and more up to date... the Canon S120 has it beat.. of course not IQ but somewhat close...... the Sony images didn't knock my socks off.. I would never buy another camera without touch screen technology.. Oh well, live and learn.. :)

I find my Rx100 mIII has a shutter button. I press shutter button and image shows up.

I love it, and I love the wide 24mm, more Rx100 mIII for me.

f-35.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

How in the world would/could Sony introduce their new RX100 3 without a smart touch screen? I just bought one and thought I could get along without it, but I think after using Oly, Panny's etc with the up to date touch screens, I treat the RX100 3 like I do my old cameras or a ex-wife.. I don't even feel like using the RX100 3 without the touch screen. I put it away.. Sony missed the boat here.. mine is for sale here on the for sale section.. I think for a pocket camera that is easy to use, smaller and more up to date... the Canon S120 has it beat.. of course not IQ but somewhat close...... the Sony images didn't knock my socks off.. I would never buy another camera without touch screen technology.. Oh well, live and learn.. :)

That S120 is about half the price of your RX100m3. Not sure this post will help you sell. :D

I prefer a touch screen as well, but I don't really miss it all that much in reality. Hasn't yet become a "must have" for me.

Bilmey - this is really bugging you, isn't it? Sony - Rx100m3 - I'm coming to the conclusion that touchscreens on cameras are "marmite technology" - you either embrace or avoid them. As I said on that other thread, I avoid them like the plague, preferring instead buttons and dials. One of the things I have never got about touchscreens is that finger-grease is unavoidable - I polish the screen on my 'phone umpteen times a day as a result. Now, unless I have spectacularly and un-naturally greasy fingers, I cannot be alone in thinking that I would rather have a clear view for composing rather than one that looks like a lab test from an episode of CSI.

No. No takers here, I am afraid. Non-touch every time, and preferably non tilt too. Knobs and dials for primary interaction, menus for secondary, with options selected by dial and button. OVF or EVF for viewing and that's me happy.

I've had touch screens I liked enough to use for specific tasks and others I've just turned off and ignored. If the rest of the camera has it right, I'm happier without one. But to each his own. I would think a really small camera like an RX100 or S120 would be a perfect place for a touchscreen, though, because the bodies are so small and external controls so limited, small, and sometimes fiddly. That screen is a huge percentage of the interface real estate on a camera like that and should probably be put to use. I've basically concluded I don't enjoy cameras quite that small, but improving the interface with more easily usable controls might be what it takes to sell me one someday.

-Ray

Back