Sony Sony RX1/ RX1R - Cropped IQ

adam

Regular
Name
Adam
Hello All,

I am going to buy an RX1 / RX1R very soon but first a question - Hope you can help.

I have just watched a Steve Huff Photo video - He advises that the RX1/RX1R can produce a 35mm // 50mm plus 70mm still image.

We all know that the 35mm images are brilliant , sharp , contrasty etc etc. It's been discussed on many occasions.

I understand that the 50mm // 70mm image is produced, in effect by in camera cropping.

Steve Huff advises that the 50mm image quality would be on a par with that produced by an APS sized sensor and that the 70mm image quality would be just below that.

What are your real life experiences using the 50mm // 70mm crop and is the IQ , as described by Steve Huff which is very good ?

Do you have any such images that you wish to share on the forum

Thanks ever so much........Adam.

I didn't do any fancy maths to figure out what focal lengths these might be, but one can assume that a crop of one of the world's sharpest lenses on one of the best full frame sensors should equal (or outperform) a typical lens on an APSC sensor. These are just quick and dirty edits of a random pet photo.....not scientific by any means.

16227497258_5f7a59afd1_h.jpg
Charlie and Kiki (sleeping in the sun)
by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

16534474584_5759a5a3b4_h.jpg
by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

16970734779_91b9a4b253_h.jpg
by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

i'm a simple guy, so i'll give a simple answer. i was always a jpeg shooter before i bought the rx1. canon, fuji, oly, ricoh i never saw the need for RAW. not so with the sony. i personally find a huge disparity, and so i only shoot RAW with the rx1.

having said that, the RAW images are so good, the resolution so exacting, i honestly feel i have at least a 35-70 zoom, and really, even more than that. my advice is forget the jpeg gimmicks, shoot RAW, and crop your heart out in post.

I'm with Luke on this one. Why throw away data when pressing the shutter? Might as well accomplish the same in post. Don't see the point in cropping in-camera.

Back