Sony Sony RX1 as main camera?

kelpers1483

Hey all - I just got my RX1 recently, and I'm curious if anyone else here uses it as their main camera for their professional work? If so, what do you do? I do street photography and landscapes mostly, and it's been a joy to bring this small powerhouse with me everywhere.

Here are some of my first shots from the RX1.

Attachments

• train.jpg
    train.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC03494.jpg
    DSC03494.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 265
I've had mine for quite a while and have no plans to get rid of it:). It still has the wow factor above any other camera I have but I'm no pro so can't answer your question! Looking forward to seeing more of your photos though. Love that first one.

I had one for a couple of years and loved it. If you're ok with just that focal length and like the controls enough, it could definitely be an only camera or main camera. I personally like a wider angle more - it it had been something like a 24-28mm I might have been able to make do with it. There are also a couple of controls I've come to absolutely love on other cameras that Sony hasn't seen fit to adopt yet (shutter speed control in auto-ISO being a big one for me). So for me, I eventually sold it and bought a similarly awesome Zeiss 35 f2.0 for my Nikon Df. But I more often shoot with a Zeiss 25mm and 21mm, so the 35mm is there for some use, but not primary use.

But the RX1 was my only full frame camera for a long time and it started me on the road to full frame - it WAS my primary rig for quite a while, if not quite my ONLY. I did a lot of landscapes, and some street shooting that I was very happy with from it. If it was just a little more specifically to my liking in a couple of ways, it could definitely have remained my primary carry.

Enjoy yours - looking forward to seeing more of your shooting...

And welcome to the forum!

-Ray

I'm not a professional, but the RX1 is far and away my most-used camera, and has been for the past two years. In fact, it is my favorite camera of all time, despite a few niggles that kind of drive me crazy (re-setting of focus in sleep mode followed by s-l-o-w start-up is my main complaint, along with the inability to set a minimum shutter speed in auto ISO). I get along really well with a fast 35mm lens, so I rarely need anything else.

Ray, I thought you had re-joined the RX1 ranks?

I am a professional, I use a RX1r, really like the camera a lot, amazing image quality in such a small size. It is now my main walk, around have fun camera, but the only "pro " use it sees is to shoot background plates. It is way to slow and with no other lens options, I cannot see how it could be used professionally, unless one is shooting landscapes for a living

I'm not a professional, but the RX1 is far and away my most-used camera, and has been for the past two years. In fact, it is my favorite camera of all time, despite a few niggles that kind of drive me crazy (re-setting of focus in sleep mode followed by s-l-o-w start-up is my main complaint, along with the inability to set a minimum shutter speed in auto ISO). I get along really well with a fast 35mm lens, so I rarely need anything else.

Ray, I thought you had re-joined the RX1 ranks?

I did Chris, after a short gap when I thought I was gonna go with a full frame system, sold it to finance that, then changed my mind and stuck with Fuji. So I replaced the RX1 pretty quickly, but then realized I had the full frame bug worse than I realized, and sold the Fuji gear for a Df and some lenses. With a couple of Zeiss lenses for the Df (21 and 25mm), the RX1 started seeming pretty irrelevant again, so I sold it and bought a nearly identical 35mm f2.0 Zeiss for the Df. So, I had one for nearly two years, but once my main system was full frame, it wasn't getting used and didn't make much sense to keep it. The Df with the Zeiss 35 is larger, for sure, but still a very manageable size, as it is with a few of the small primes I've got. And with the IQ pretty similar and controls I like a lot more on the Df, it just made sense to let it go.

But it was a landmark camera for me and I'll never have anything but positive memories of it. It was my first full frame experience and basically ruined me for anything else, so I happily blame it for everything that's happened since... :cool:

-Ray

Back