Sony NEX Display at Best Buy

Amin

Hall of Famer
I walked to my local Best Buy today and came across this Sony NEX Display:

5694490831_a460ff9456_b.jpg

This particular Best Buy is a small one and was not carrying any other compact system cameras.

It struck me as an overall effective presentation by Sony. What do you think?

Looks good. I wonder if they have lenses on hand in a glass case nearby with a hovering, eagle eyed salesperson who knows their stuff?

I always wonder how Best Buy works with a camera of this quality and price. My assumption is that most buyers come in knowing what they're after in the case of the NEX, and are looking for the best price point. Or do you think people wandering around with out any knowledge would buy a camera like this, not knowing much about it without the active involvement of a knowledgeable salesperson?

I'm guessing that a display like this is going to get the attention of a lot of folks who are browsing the DSLRs for improved image quality but are reluctant to make the leap in size/weight from their current compact.

You know, I haven't been in a Best Buy in a long time...because the one near us is in an area that I envision as form of purgatory ;) - its on Central Avenue in Yonkers...if that rings any bells for anyone. I'm sure you're right, Amin... I never really think about Best Buy as having such high end camera equipment. I'm stuck in an old mindset, clearly!

They don't carry very high end, but they have low and medium priced Canon, Nikon, and Sony DSLRs.

First off I can't remember the last time I've been in a retail store other than the place we've been buying our camping gear. (They give a nice discount to the Boy Scouts). But having been in a Best Buy, or for that matter, any of the chain stores I don't think the counter employees would be much help. However, there will be that rare employee that has a serious interest in the subject but I would think that would be rare.

I just live too far from any major shopping to then pay a higher price than I can online. As fuel prices go above $4.00 and I'm 30 miles or more each way to major shopping, Amazon Prime members and B&H Photo offers free shipping and no sales tax, its hard to go "window" shopping these days.

That's why I'm hanging out here on this forum and some other forums of different interests to ensure I learn all I can about products before I spend my hard earned cash.

This is why I'm not in marketing, and stay in engineering. Personally, it does nothing for me. For most marketing folks, I'm probably the ideal consumer. In my 30's, have a little expendable income, no kids...but I digress. I've personally felt sony's marketing was slightly ahead of its competitors, but nothing like it used to be. Sony used to be as good as apple is today at brand marketing.

Getting to the display. While it does promote the CSC cameras, the only way it is really going to work is for salesmen to explain the benifits of the system and show the customers the benifits of the system. I was in BB the other day in my area, and they had the sony displayed next to the rest of the DSLRs. BB salesmen were still pushing Canikon.

I will say this, they are doing a better job than Panasonic and Olympus, but from my experiences with Panasonic, they don't try very hard to market anyways.

Nice to see it. I wonder at what level decisions are made about this kind of display? Is it down to the local manager or does a missive come from on high? I also wonder if the Sony reps offer some training to the staff to go along with the display? If no one in the store can help sell the camera by providing some useful knowledge I think this kind of thing may be much less effective.

I was in BB today and saw it in my store. They had both the NEX 3 and NEX 5. No one was looking at these cameras. People were looking at compacts and DSLRs. I think it is also for the educated salesmen/woman to sell and teach about them.

This is great. It's a very smart move for BB & Sony. It also shows the continuing strength for the Nex system.
They may just be selling off stock at regular retail price before releasing the new models. This way, they don't have to clearance stuff off.
I hope Sony keeps doing smart things like this.

Back