Sony Sony has unveiled RX10 Mark III with 24-600 (e) lens

Interesting - decided they'd better go longer to compete with Panasonic (at 400mm) and Canon and Nikon at 600 and better light gathering at f4 at the long end. These cameras look like great travel all-in-ones. I seriously doubt I'll ever get one, but I like 'em and I'm impressed with them. Great use for the 1" chip IMHO...

-Ray

I love my RX10...... and I wish it went to 600mm instead of 200mm, but I just need to live with it. An ailing furnace (and it's 30 year old AC cousin) have conspired to kill my GAS. If my budget were different, I'd have on of those on the day of release.

According to DPReview's hands-on preview it takes around 4 seconds to zoom from wide to tele.
I know it's a huge zoom range, but that sounds like a really long time to me.

Sign me up for the manual zoom version too.

I think one benefit of the slow zoom movement is to limit the force with which air is pumped into and out of the lens, which should also reduce the chance of dust entering the body

I tried the original RX10 when it first came out. The slow power zoom was one of only a couple of complaints I had with it, but it was a deal killer all by itself. This longer zoom sounds like a substantially slower movement too, so not for me. But it wasn't for me anyway...

-Ray

Back