Sony Sony A7 Might Work.. Info Request

One last thing I'll add in that case - If you're using manual focus lenses (e.g. Canon FD) then personally I'd prefer the Sony; the focus peaking and magnification in a quality EVF beats focusing through an OVF on a DSLR for me. At least that way I can see directly what the camera sees as in focus.

If you've got a goodly collection of AF-capable Canon lenses then I'd find it a hard sell to hang onto them and shooting with an adapter rather than either sticking with a Canon body (or simply selling the entire kit if I were going to make a switch).

I know nothing about the little Canon mirrorless, except that you can get them screamingly cheap (and some shots I've seen them are gorgeous). Do they make an adapter to use those Canon lenses on the mirrorless body?

If you mean the EOS M.. yes you can put your EF lenses on it but I heard that camera wasn't very good. I had considered it when it first came out though.

One last thing I'll add in that case - If you're using manual focus lenses (e.g. Canon FD) then personally I'd prefer the Sony; the focus peaking and magnification in a quality EVF beats focusing through an OVF on a DSLR for me. At least that way I can see directly what the camera sees as in focus.

If you've got a goodly collection of AF-capable Canon lenses then I'd find it a hard sell to hang onto them and shooting with an adapter rather than either sticking with a Canon body (or simply selling the entire kit if I were going to make a switch).

I have EF lenses. All can be used AF but I generally use the macro lenses MF as well as my 28mm. DSLR has depth of preview, but you know that's always kinda dark and iffy. Maybe I can find somewhere to rent the Sony with an adapter, and try it. That's usually what I'd recommend to others to do if they are unsure. I'm not sure I'd be happy selling off my macro lenses as that is like 75% of my shooting. That and distance is what I'm missing.

I have EF lenses. All can be used AF but I generally use the macro lenses MF as well as my 28mm. DSLR has depth of preview, but you know that's always kinda dark and iffy. Maybe I can find somewhere to rent the Sony with an adapter, and try it. That's usually what I'd recommend to others to do if they are unsure. I'm not sure I'd be happy selling off my macro lenses as that is like 75% of my shooting. That and distance is what I'm missing.

I actually rented an A7 and lenses from lensrentals before I purchased one. Highly recommend lensrentals, they have excellent (and fast) service and were very accommodating to some last minute changes in my order etc.

I wasn't gettin' mad. It's hours of focus peaking frustration belching out of me.

Seems it was lucky that I wasn't sufficiently cashed up to buy the A7 when Myer had that special. Firstly, because of the RF lens and focus peaking issues you've brought up, and secondly because the A7S has amazing video quality and a silent electronic shutter!

When I was first considering a A7, the entire purpose was to use adapted RF lenses, of which I have many. With the A7S, it is primarily for video shooting, possibly using adapted Canon EF lenses, and also with native E-mount lenses. Yes, it's a big new investment, but it ought to be worth it in the longer term. And I'm still not planning to buy one for at least another half year, enough time for early adopters to get on Vimeo and show us the goods!

In the meantime, I've brought film back into my life! That will satisfy my gear urges for a while...

Seems it was lucky that I wasn't sufficiently cashed up to buy the A7 when Myer had that special.

I remember chatting about this with you before we knew about the drawbacks of the A7!

I'm not so sure about the A7s... but it's a whole other discussion that will only distract in this thread......

I really want to hear from Flash about the A7, I know he's able to make it work very well for him.

Back