Some street candids with the Oly 75.

Nice use of the lens Livnius. One thing I now appreciate about M43 bokeh is that it is more "environmental" - the background is pleasingly out of focus so as to not distract, yet you can still make out objects, people enough that they also enhance the overall picture by giving it some context. Same shots on a FF would have a background that would be a haze of meaningless nothingness.

Nice use of the lens Livnius. One thing I now appreciate about M43 bokeh is that it is more "environmental" - the background is pleasingly out of focus so as to not distract, yet you can still make out objects, people enough that they also enhance the overall picture by giving it some context. Same shots on a FF would have a background that would be a haze of meaningless nothingness.

Thanks. Yeah as far as m43 native AF lenses are concerned the O75 is perhaps the most capable of this kind of thing, which is nice enough to have at your disposal but no, I certainly wouldn't look to obliterate the background with every shot, sometimes though it does look really nice.The upcoming Pana 43/f1.2 should be really great in this regard and in a focal length perhaps 'easier' to work with for many people.

I was going to say much the same thing, the background blur is really nice in these. Which aperture did you use?

Thanks Christi. They're all shot wide open at f1.8 ....given it was in the middle of the day I probably had a 2stop ND filter on.

Very nice and that lens`rendering plays in the Leica league for sure. If they had a 60mm of similar qualities.....

Yeah, a 60mm/1.8 of this quality would've been great. certainly a little easier for me to shoot with and a more forgiving focal length for small space events.

Joe, this lens is singing in your hands. Love the treatments especially.

I have a theory -- wide open lenses with FD filters make a DOF sensibility where you don't expect one (because as people, our own eyes stop down in bright light), and that really helps make some interesting photos.

p.s. just spent some time in your flickr stream. Nice way to relax with my morning brew!

Joe, I can't think of a photo you've posted in the last year or so that I haven't enjoyed. It doesn't matter what you're shooting with. And your photos always seem to have a fairly cohesive processing to them.....even when they're done differently, they look like yours. That's something I REALLY struggle with. Keep up the great work.

You've been doing fine work with this lens since day 1 Joe - I remember some early street shots with this lens (not as much candid portraits as these IIRC) that I remember really enjoying. I absolutely LOVE this lens for family and friend candids and occasionally out on the street for shots like this, but I've never developed any ability to "see" with it beyond that, which you've done very well with.

Keep 'em coming!

-Ray

Joe, I can't think of a photo you've posted in the last year or so that I haven't enjoyed. It doesn't matter what you're shooting with. And your photos always seem to have a fairly cohesive processing to them.....even when they're done differently, they look like yours. That's something I REALLY struggle with. Keep up the great work.

+100

Blasphemy, lol!!!

The last one is great. A B&W shot, it almost seems, but then she is wearing color. I like the subject isolation and "3d rendering".

Back