Nikon some food for thought on d5500

wojconner

Regular
Name
Woj
If you want fast AF and small size, this may work:

Compact Camera Meter

I've had a lot of headaches with Nikon lately but if you can find a good DX lens then this model may have what I'm looking for in a travel camera. The ideal would be the Olympus but I don't like the IQ. Love the fuji but AF is fine unless you think of Nikon.

If only Nikon would make some small DX lenses for it, like Canon's EF-S 24mm and 40mm pancakes.

But I think it's more likely that Canon comes out with a SL-2 with a better sensor than Nikon coming out with small lenses.

Small size?

well, none of them are pocketable but the d5500 is lighter than an x-t1 with the new fuji 2.8 lens. Granted, if you keep the kit lens on the fuji it's smaller and lighter than the nikon. Point is, once these guys start increasing in quality glass then the size differences diminish. I shoot mainly with a Ricoh GR and occasionally with a d610 that I'm growing to dislike. I tried an x100s and it was too slow for my needs but I loved the files.

Given the proposed specs on the d5500 IF one can find good glass, it won't be that different from the fuji but with fast AF and great battery life (I actually can't believe I'm giving props to Nikon after all the drama I went through with the d600). At some point I have to compare the specs without the hype. What really gets me is that the base price of the Nikon is less than the X-T1 body. That part really gets me as I've been eagerly searching for a good used X-T1.

It's just food for thought at this point.

That's where Pentax is strong, a family of small, high quality DC primes. So you end up with something like this:

Compact Camera Meter

That is some food for thought. I haven't given Pentax a gander in quite some time. But, once you stick a 2.8 zoom on there, it's back to Nikon size.
Compact Camera Meter

I realized that I'm not familiar with Pentax glass at all. I'll check slrgear and see how it compares IQ and price wise.

Thanks

If you want fast AF and small size, this may work:

Compact Camera Meter

I've had a lot of headaches with Nikon lately but if you can find a good DX lens then this model may have what I'm looking for in a travel camera. The ideal would be the Olympus but I don't like the IQ. Love the fuji but AF is fine unless you think of Nikon.

What do you mean by "if you can find a good DX lens"? Are you talking copy to copy variation, or something else? I only have ever used a Nikon 18-55, and that was quite a few years back, but I generally don't get the impression that their lenses are a major issue for people.

I haven't seen a dx that's a 2.8 constant, which is what I was comparing in the links. I think the Tamron will do well though. The Nikon kit lens was OK but not stellar imho.

Yup, it's the sensor size that's driving the lens size for all three cameras so it's no surprise that they are similar overall packages. To Pentax's credit, they've been building a DX lens lineup for nearly a decade, so they have unique DX lens options like a 50-135 F2.8 instead of a bigger, heavier, costlier 70-200 F2.8 designed for FX.

AF for Pentax will fall somewhere between Fuji and Nikon AFAIK.

If you want to go smaller with zooms, M43 is the next step. My Panasonic 12-35 F2.8 is the focal length equivalent of my Pentax 16-50 F2.8 but much smaller.

well, none of them are pocketable but the d5500 is lighter than an x-t1 with the new fuji 2.8 lens. Granted, if you keep the kit lens on the fuji it's smaller and lighter than the nikon. Point is, once these guys start increasing in quality glass then the size differences diminish. I shoot mainly with a Ricoh GR and occasionally with a d610 that I'm growing to dislike. I tried an x100s and it was too slow for my needs but I loved the files.

Given the proposed specs on the d5500 IF one can find good glass, it won't be that different from the fuji but with fast AF and great battery life (I actually can't believe I'm giving props to Nikon after all the drama I went through with the d600). At some point I have to compare the specs without the hype. What really gets me is that the base price of the Nikon is less than the X-T1 body. That part really gets me as I've been eagerly searching for a good used X-T1.

It's just food for thought at this point.

Are they really cameras that compare directly? The X-T1 and the E-M1 are both higher specced cameras than the Nikon. Weather sealing, magnesium alloy construction, viewfinder size, fps. The D7100 might be the more comparable model to them at a similar price.

What do you dislike about the D610 that you think you'll like more with the D5500? Is it just about size/weight?

-Ray

Yes, you're exactly correct. Also, having cycled through a number of cameras recently I've begun to appreciate a flip out screen. I know the d750 has one but I still don't like shooting in Nikon's live view. I'm 'assuming' that since the d5500 has a touch screen shutter like the one found on Olympus' M1 that they've changed the live view somehow to make it more user friendly but we won't know until it comes out.

I'm planning a month long trip this summer and I know for sure that I don't want to be A) lugging the full frame around and B) looking through the viewfiner for most of the shots. Realistically, I'll probably get an X-T1 for an EDC with the kit zoom and see how it goes.

It's the never ending GAS story that I figured would have gone away by now since most of my photography is now with the iphone6+ and my good ole' Ricoh GR. However, I'm getting the itch to shoot some nice large printed landscape scenes to hang on the walls.

Again, just food for thought as I'm thinking out loud and whining about mirrorless prices.

Yes, you're exactly correct. Also, having cycled through a number of cameras recently I've begun to appreciate a flip out screen. I know the d750 has one but I still don't like shooting in Nikon's live view. I'm 'assuming' that since the d5500 has a touch screen shutter like the one found on Olympus' M1 that they've changed the live view somehow to make it more user friendly but we won't know until it comes out.

I'm planning a month long trip this summer and I know for sure that I don't want to be A) lugging the full frame around and B) looking through the viewfiner for most of the shots. Realistically, I'll probably get an X-T1 for an EDC with the kit zoom and see how it goes.

It's the never ending GAS story that I figured would have gone away by now since most of my photography is now with the iphone6+ and my good ole' Ricoh GR. However, I'm getting the itch to shoot some nice large printed landscape scenes to hang on the walls.

Again, just food for thought as I'm thinking out loud and whining about mirrorless prices.

I'll be sort of curious about that. It seems like the touch screen will only be able to work in live view, and live view is necessarily a segregated part of the shooting experience with a DSLR, given that the sensor can't get any light until the mirror is moved out of the way. I suppose it may be possible for live view to be more responsive than it is on the D750 and other Nikons (I've heard Canon has a more responsive LV on some of it's DSLRs, but no experience with it personally), but it's still an entirely separate shooting mode and will never be as instantly accessible as it is on a mirrorless camera. I've found that I'm just as happy with an OVF as a good live view setup, but in a perfect world it would be awesome to have both options on the same camera where both were very responsive and quickly accessible...

I'll be interested to find out once those cameras show up in the wild but I tend to be pessimistic about incorporating more and more live view features into DSLRs when live view is such a relatively sub-standard experience on a DSLR to begin with. Which is why if I ever add another body (something I have no desire to do at the moment, but I suppose it could come up at some point), I'd probably go mirrorless for the second one - maybe something like an A7 with an adapter to be able to use my Nikon compatible glass with it...

-Ray

Since I've learned a few days ago that a made photography with a (D)SLR and a wide open aperture (f/1.2-f/2) corresponds not to the picture in the optical viewer I'm glad with a mirrorless camera as main system. I've tested this with a D300s, Katzeye glass and a 50mm/1.2 AIS.
But it doesn't prevent me to shoot a first test analogue film with my F2 photomic :)

Good point on the liveview, it is slow turning on in the Nikon. However, I had a chance to play around with a friend's Canon 70d with the dual pixel focus and found liveview to be much more accessible not to mention the accuracy and quickness of the AF. If they had that on the 7dII along with a flip screen then I'd consider switching. Although I'd miss the dynamic range of the Nikon :)

Back