Sony So...just a basic question about the direction of mirrorless cameras...

I don't find that anchoring a camera against my face really adds much in terms of stability. When I shoot without a finder, I'm not holding the camera out in front of me any distance. I'm generally holding it about 6-10 inches in front of my face, with two hands, and with my elbows braced against my body. This is very nearly if not quite as stable as having it against my eye. And if I have a flip up rear screen, I'm often holding it against my waist or belly which I'm convinced is every bit as stable as my eye, and if I have a strap its hanging down at the ends of, I think its considerably MORE stable.

I'm not saying finders don't have their place. I just think for some people they're a necessity but for a large (and increasing) number of others, they're somewhere between a minor and non-existent consideration. Which is why, your preferences and mine aside, I doubt offering cameras without them (or with removable ones - arguably the best of both worlds for an ILC) is a bad sales strategy.

-Ray

I think that those that have incorporated the integrated viewfinder got it right. Why, because those bodies still have live view & those that prefer live view only can easily access their screen. :)

If you require a viewfinder, well I suppose that why (in part) the GX7 is generating such wild chatter :)

I think that those that have incorporated the integrated viewfinder got it right. Why, because those bodies still have live view & those that prefer live view only can easily access their screen. :)

If you require a viewfinder, well I suppose that why (in part) the GX7 is generating such wild chatter :)

For some of us, sure. But if we assume that X percentage of us like having a finder integrated and always available and Y percent don't really care, if a given manufacturer makes at least one or two models withOUT the integrated finder, they can probably shave a pretty significant amount off of the retail price of it and probably sell that many more to the folks from the "Y" group. There are plenty of cameras that I won't buy but I don't mind them being out there for those who prefer 'em!

-Ray

Back