News Smugmug has acquired Flickr

Flickr banned me years ago. Lost 200+ photo there. I can't seem to look at anything on Flickr, they want me to sign in. Can't sign in cause I'm banned. Maybe it will open up some under new management.

I used to have roughly 50 websites on Tumblr. But when Yahoo bot Tumblr they screwed it up.
Now I have about 15 sites on WordPress. Like them the best.

Flickr banned me years ago. Lost 200+ photo there. I can't seem to look at anything on Flickr, they want me to sign in. Can't sign in cause I'm banned. Maybe it will open up some under new management.

I used to have roughly 50 websites on Tumblr. But when Yahoo bot Tumblr they screwed it up.
Now I have about 15 sites on WordPress. Like them the best.
Can I ask why? I've never heard of anyone being banned!

Let's wait and see. I never had any problems whatever with Flickr. And for that price (free) you won"t find anything cheaper ;-)
Also on Ipernity, much, much less people there, but somehow I like it, so I became a member. Smugmug could be a nice other option . . .

Yahoo is a nightmare in every respect. A vampire business model and they treat their acquired companies as a thoughtless toddler treats a butterfly; crush it then expects it to fly. I was happy on Flickr until they came along and changed the monetisation model. I came off Tumblr because it was the primary source of piracy of my images.

I got the email from Flickr this morning about the change and figured I'd check in at good ol' Serious Compacts to see what other people had heard, being more tied in than I am lately. And I arrive at this new site, so I guess being adaptable to every sort of online change is the order of the day. I have a LOT of photos up on Flickr - I know I'm in a minority, but I've always been really happy with their service. Now I fully expect to have to pay more for Smugmug (than the $25 per year I'd been paying Flickr). Since I'm not very active with photography anymore, I don't really want to pay much more, but I've got so many links out and around various bicycling and photography and guitar forums that I'd hate to lose ALL of them. So I guess I'll wait and see what happens. If Smugmug won't honor existing links, I'm quite likely out. If they will and they have a budget option for joining, I'll probably stick with them. Oh well, the more things change the more they stay the same...

-Ray

I must have got the same email, Ray... the one that says your account will be migrated to Smugmug and you should download all your photos and delete your account if you don't want to do that. And I made an incorrect assumption. The only thing that will happen is a change to the terms of service as per the following quote from the Flickr blog post.

"I got an email saying I have until May 25, 2018 to opt out of SmugMug’s Terms of Service and then my Flickr account will be governed by them. Explain please?
As part of the acquisition, all Flickr accounts will move to SmugMug’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. You have until May 25, 2018 to either either accept their Terms or opt out. If you do nothing in that time, your account will simply transition from the current Yahoo Terms of Service to SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy. If you don’t want to make this change, you can delete your Flickr account through your Account Settings. If you want to preserve a copy of your photos, be sure to download them from your Camera Roll first!"

Also, with some relief, I also read

"Do I still have to log in to Flickr with my Yahoo login?
Yes. During our transition process, you will continue to sign in using your existing login credentials. Over time, Flickr’s sign-in will be separated from Yahoo’s and when that happens, you’ll have the ability to choose how you log in."

*THEN* I can give yahoo the flick.

Last edited:
Back