Single in January - So how's it going? Days 21-31

Thanks BB and pdh! Thankfully, my thumb is ok. In truth, I can take photos... if the camera is mounted on a tripod. That's what I did 2 days ago. But I certainly can't carry a tripod with me all the time.

I'm glad your thumb is OK and hope those other three fingers heal perfectly and quickly. Most of us take our everyday health and well being for granted - including our fingers. Thanks for letting us know, Pavel.

The Curse of SiJ ! - first BillN's 3 toes, now your 3 fingers Pavel ... hope it is not too painful and heals quikcly
Well they say it always happens in threes ....so I fear what damage has been done to my three remaining brain cells - as I've been commenting since 5am this morning and have just finished my last at close to 10am :redface:

Hope your on the mend Pavel...and can;t wait to see what's remained latent on your rolls.

Just a comment,folks. The SIJ project has nudged me to look at more of the images created by the members of this forum. To cut to the chase, there's a lot of ability on display in that and other galleries. There has been some discussion about the character of this forum, and may I humbly suggest that one interpretation is that many here are more interested in making images than criticizing them. Many of you have probably realized that I am an academic, and I certainly have experience with the difference between eclectic sounding descriptions of artwork and the process of creating the work itself. I'm not disparaging either side, but I think this forum leans toward the latter emphasis. Just a thought.

Just a comment,folks. The SIJ project has nudged me to look at more of the images created by the members of this forum. To cut to the chase, there's a lot of ability on display in that and other galleries. There has been some discussion about the character of this forum, and may I humbly suggest that one interpretation is that many here are more interested in making images than criticizing them. Many of you have probably realized that I am an academic, and I certainly have experience with the difference between eclectic sounding descriptions of artwork and the process of creating the work itself. I'm not disparaging either side, but I think this forum leans toward the latter emphasis. Just a thought.
An interesting theory indeed. Hmmm...
So if we are more geared towards "creating" than "criticising" then does it follow that the folks drawn to this challenge are less inclined to criticise the Forum at large? Or that "gear-heads" - who have criticism down to a fine art and employ this against each new piece of kit - are not attracted to this style of challenge? So we have at least two very definite 'types' on SC?

Can I ask one further question in this vein - and I would appreciate your honest opinions here. :polling:
I was very reticent to kick-off this SiJ as we'd be doing so at the very same time we were contending with issues of a perceived clique here at SC. So I feared that something like SiJ might actually create or reinforce (if it were ever actually there) the exclusivity of members on the Forum. So I'd be keen to know whether you think a challenge like this has had any impact on the culture at SC?...positive, negative, negligible or otherwise?

Well folks less than a week to go. Not only can I see the light at the end of the tunnel but I got a whiff of the moths burning on the element.

Why don't you just get a big stick and start whacking a wasp's nest Mark ?

{does my calling you by your first name mean we're in a clique, by the way?}

Why don't you just get a big stick and start whacking a wasp's nest Mark ?

{does my calling you by your first name mean we're in a clique, by the way?}
Well it is restricted to this little group...who else visits this thread? ;)

So it would just be the clique talking within it's ranks telling each other there's no problem. Sort of like the Lords lounging about their leather Chesterfields guffawing over their sherry and cigars not understanding what the punters have to complain about. ;)

Seriously though it's a small enough group just to ask the question....I wouldn't ask it outside - also most folks here were there when it all flared up....

I've enjoyed the SIJ in many ways...and one of the highlights has been getting to know more of the members here who are not either as prolific as others (regarding posting comments) or who habituate discussions that I may not always become involved in. In addition, it's been fun and interesting to get to know everyone's "world" via their photographs. It has been a slog sometimes for sure, however, all in all from my own side of the 'puter, it has been well worth the efforts involved. And on that note, only 6 more days to go!:drinks:

Well, I'm not counting today (since I finally got caught up posting shots....and am pretty caught up with comment....not counting the week I was out of town) so as far as I am concerned....it's only 5 days left.

Now where is the stash of sherry and cigars?

Vaguely more seriously, I think it's made little difference to the level of dialogue on the forum generally, either in quality or quantity, save that which takes place in these "How's it going...?" threads - and then of course it is restricted inasmuch as only participants are posting to them.

I find the way the gallery works doesn't lend itself to dialogue - I don't think people revisit images where they've posted a comment; if we started getting notifications for comments on images that aren't our own, the deluge would wash us all away I'm sure! I'd have liked to continue conversations about some images, but short of starting a new thread and PMing folk to participate ... well, tricky

I tend to disagree with drd1135's analysis; I don't think it's a case of Either criticise Or create. One's creative peers can be effective and helpful critics. The idea that critics are just "people who can't" attacking those who "can" isn't one I subscribe to; And even if they "can't", that has the virtue of lending invaluable distance from what's being "criticised".

I suppose we have to consider the possibility that a challenge such as this is clique-creating - those who participate as opposed to those who (for perfectly legitimate reasons) don't wish to.

Now where is the stash of sherry and cigars?
Mate I'm in the process of making a virtual Chesterfield....just need to get the pitch of that squelch, whenever you move on the stiff leather, down pat. Once I do, you and I, can quaff and quib to our heart's delight. Tally-ho old chap...

I'll be the first to raise my hand that I would almost never ever venture to critique someone's photograph unless 1. that person has asked for it or 2. I felt I knew them well enough to make a suggestion and would do so privately. We do, however, have a Photo Critique forum ready and waiting and wide open for business.(y)

I didn't take your comments, drd as criticism, by the way.

In some of the comments I have posted for others' images I have made suggestions as to how I think the composition or processing could be improved. These are merely suggestions and in no way designed to be critical so I do hope the recipients of these comments have taken them this way. When other participants have made suggestions or given their opinions on how my images look to them there is quite often a large difference in opinion between viewers which I really enjoy seeing as it shows that there is definitely not one way only to do or see photography.

On another note, I just saw that there have been over 700 images uploaded and 7000 comments posted in the SIJ gallery to date - a big congratulations to all involved and before you all sink the slipper into my backside I have kept up with the image taking but am currently struggling for time to process, post and comment but will do so ASAP :th_salute:.

So, is everyone enjoying the experience? I toyed with the idea of joining in, but in the end I knew that adding such rigid strictures to my photography wasn't for me. As it turns out I have used a camera for about 3/4 of the days of January so far, although that has been split between six different cameras and about twice that number of lenses. How about a MIF (multiple in February)? :)

So, is everyone enjoying the experience? I toyed with the idea of joining in, but in the end I knew that adding such rigid strictures to my photography wasn't for me. As it turns out I have used a camera for about 3/4 of the days of January so far, although that has been split between six different cameras and about twice that number of lenses. How about a MIF (multiple in February)? :)
I'm thoroughly enjoying it....but don't vest anything in my opinion as I'm looking at this with a father's eye :blush:

Although I'm looking forward to playing with more lenses, I'd do an SI again....in a few months down the track. For me it's really opened my eyes to elements in other's work and helped me be more mindful of the same in mine.

Back