Single in January - So how's it going? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul's most recent pic has one comment but when I got to his pic, there is not comment box!
There are such boxes on all others.
Am I missing something?

apologies all ...

mouse trouble I expect ... probably misclicked when I was enabling email updates on comments ... oh the irony ...

Reactions: BBW
Paul, email notification will let you know exactly what was written by each respondent. It's a very handy tool and should work just fine now that your email is back working with the site, again.

Unfortunately BB I don't seem to be getting these

Good to hear that yesterday's technical assistance was of....well some assistance Lili. (y)

Yeah, guys, you'll have to unsure you say Yes to allowing Comments otherwise we all go mute. I found this with 2 entries so far.

OK we're only one tenth of the way through, but I'm enjoying this so far....

Going well. Not sure which shot I'll take at lunch today. I have a few lined up. Perhaps a favorite interior of mine. Depends on time more than anything. There are few students here now, so I really ought to concentrate on interiors while I have the opportunity.

I was stopped by security yesterday and asked for my ID. I had one of course, so all's well that ends well, but I was in a place that would have been considered trespassing when I was stopped and I was fully deployed, tripod and all (it was not at the Kroon location).

The compact tripod I purchased in anticipation of this challenge is working out really well. I mentioned it earlier in this thread. It's a Sirui T-005... a perfect match to compact cameras. My new favorite bit of kit.

I discovered a useful tool yesterday on my E-PL3. I think this goes for E-PL2 and certainly E-PM1. I often take multiple shots of a scene, and tend to vary things like shutter speed, etc. in some cases, or as in yesterday's case I want to capture different light levels as they happen. Yesterday there were patchy clouds that would cover the sun which led to a range of lighting from flat to almost blown out, with different degrees and subtle changes in between. Using AE/AF lock in such a situation is not a perfect option. And frankly, I do not want to mess about with the setting of the Fn button. i want it set to AE/AF lock and leave it there as I do have a use for this button as is.

So I remapped the red video button to MF. When you press the big red button, it switches to manual focus. So: 1. Set yourself up for the shot, including focus; this may involve taking focus and then recomposing 2. Hit the big red button to go into MF mode; 3. Wait and press the shutter as and when desired.

It stays set until pressed again. With this set, the camera will not attempt to focus for each shot. Yet the meter will remain active and the camera will meter the shots... thereby capturing subtle differences in light and exposure. Of course exposure comp and all other tools remain at your beck and call, and manual exposure control is retained. It is just a good way to turn auto focus off, both for half button press and for remote use.

This is analogous to remapping AF to a button on the rear of my DSLR and was a very welcome find. It allows me to relax and focus on the light and the scene... to focus on something external to the workings of the camera.

What a joy.

Hope this helps someone...

woof!

It's going well so far for me - she says looking around for some wood to knock on or a next SIJ to take!

I was concerned for a bit yesterday and then, thankfully, life presented itself.

I'm impressed and very pleased that everyone is hanging in there!

The elements conspired in my favour today. It began to cloud up before sunrise, so I decided some more close nature stuff on the beach, but as I approached Start Point so the cloud broke somewhat and the vista you see in my 04 entry opened up for me. This shot was one I had envisaged when I chose the 12mm Voigtlander, although I hadn't checked it's field of view for this shot beforehand. I reckon it worked out. Within the hour more cloud building and by lunchtime patchy drizzle, and now I've lit the fire and all is well with the world, oh, and all being well, that is the forecast rain clears by late morning, my next shot is mapped out, it depends on the tide so is timed as to when I can take it.

Barrie

I'm having a difficult time just trying to view all the entries so far, much less make a comment. Although I am retired, I am in the middle of a ground-up car resto/mod that is into it's fifth year. I would like to get this done in my lifetime. :drama:

Going well here, hardest things so far are decided which image to post, while I am really having fun discovering my little X10, I feel bad i am ignoring my other photo toys, keeping up with the comments i do not want to miss anybody. My favorite part is seeing what everybody else sees, always fascinating.

I've got into a rhythm now. I post and then comment back to my last posting. Then I look at comments on that posting.

I started back at work today. On the plus side, I (mostly) work from home. On the downside, I work hard and don't get out much if it's "one of those days". Unfortunately most of them are at the moment :rolleyes:

Finally uploaded my first photos. I missed the first day. Thought I had it covered, but was a blurry shot, not usable. So day 2-4 is in. It's hard. Weather and Season not helping! But we trudge on. After all it's only one month, right? First conclusion, lens choice is making me look for photo choices that avoid the lens weakness. Soft at wide apertures.

Reactions: BBW
Finally uploaded my first photos. I missed the first day. Thought I had it covered, but was a blurry shot, not usable. So day 2-4 is in. It's hard. Weather and Season not helping! But we trudge on. After all it's only one month, right? First conclusion, lens choice is making me look for photo choices that avoid the lens weakness. Soft at wide apertures.
Great news Steve! I'll have a look shortly.
Might I suggest still posting your day one - you can remark what you hate about the shot and that you don't even think it worthy of posting. But this way you have a full set at the end. I'm not meaning to be a pedant about this. More's the fact that I'm re-reading for the nth time Freeman Patterson's "Photography and the Art of Seeing" - love this book, I thoroughly recommend it and very fitting read during Single In [insert month]....but I digress. Freeman talks a lot about not simply disregarding a shot because it's not sharp enough, etc., but to use 'unsharpness', and other broken rules (usually intentionally) to really explore the world as it is in-and-of-itself rather than preconceived images or reduction to labelled objects. So explore the beauty of the refracted light, the textures, etc....any way I know more than half of you have read the book so I'm preaching to the choir on this one. My petition here Steve is to consider posting day one just to complete the set and see if there's anything compelling about the shot beyond the non-sharpness...hey you can consider it a behind the scenes (deleted scenes) shot ;) Alternately you can ignore me and start at Day Two and the world remains the same...:laugh1: All's good either way.

I've got into a rhythm now. I post and then comment back to my last posting. Then I look at comments on that posting.
Great to hear Bill! And this is much like my routine...though I have the benefit of visiting throughout the day while I have some leave still up my sleeve ;) But I find looking at all your images inspiring and informative. Personally, it helps inspire me as I think of other photos that I might make - even if subconsciously where your images are in the back of my mind while I'm strolling and hunting for stills. So I have a few to thank for the idea of looking up, looking down, focusing to the rhythm of horizontals, verticals, and diagonals, the power of levitation, etc. Collectively, it informs me on where the little community I am a part, and so fond, of is at. Not as a linear process but as we each meander along that long, winding path of photography. It can be a wholly selfish pursuit, but little challenges like this makes you feel a part of something bigger. Also, and back to me, I'm really gaining both encouragement and benefit from the comments on my photos. Day Four is a highlight for me - as folks are now venturing to C+C on my images (thanks Bill for kicking this off!!! (y)) Hitting on issues I contended with during processing and it's nice to hear some defending my choice and others questioning it....so to the heart of it I love how SiJ blends the individual and collective aspects of our pursuit/hobby/distraction/means of expression.

OK that's now getting a little sappy even for me :blush:, so to coffee number one for the day to give me a little more edge and contrast....;)...and onwards to visit the Gallery :2thumbs:....and have to close by echoing BB's sentiments
I'm impressed and very pleased that everyone is hanging in there!
...just 27 days to go folks!

Ok I know you're all a little tired of me now, but a small announcement. I hope you'll all join me in welcoming the newest member to our troupe, jorgeledesma. Jorge's "weapon of choice will be my GF1 and the very much underrated Olympus 17mm f/2.8". A little more about our newest member can be seen here...an excellent intro, well worth the read!

Great to have Jorge on-board...and no I'm not just saying this as he brings another GF1 to the table :blush...Jorge has already taken Days 1-3 which he'll post on the SIJ Gallery shortly.

Stillshunter,

I appreciate the pep talk. Really I do. And I wish I could post the offending photo in some manner, But, alas, it is gone. Wife would not have thought as well of me as is her habit, if that one had gone out into the world. So, round file! No excuse, but a long Sunday, and I forgot until near bed time. Tried to get one for the day. Thought I had, but did not look close enough until today. Too late. Time cannot be reclaimed. So, we move on and enjoy what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back