Single in January - So how's it going? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could be the issue in low light it might be getting confused on multi, i tend to only use spot and move the spot around if I need to

It's a challenging day here in the UK. Here's the latest from the Met Office

Stormy conditions affecting parts of the United Kingdom.

Stormy wind gusts are affecting parts of northern UK, with gusts of 105mph reported at Malin Head; 102mph Edinburgh, Blackford Hill; 97mph Islay; 92mph Macrihanish; 92mph Drumalbin and 91mph Glasgow, Bishopton Airport. Much of the rest of the UK is also experiencing very windy conditions, gusting 78mph at St Bees Head, Cumbria and 69mph at Mumbles in South Wales. Updated 09:15 03/01/2012

I've already got a safety of sorts if it doesn't dry up for later. Now what did I say yesterday about capturing the wind?

Barrie

Reactions: BBW
Perhaps everyone missed this question. Any ideas on it? If we make one comment for each entry for each day we're looking at more than 1100 comments. I don't think I can do that... :(
Sorry Otto, I wasn't deliberately ignoring the query - just got caught up with Mod duties and the like. :blush:

I realise the overhead is quite high, and I don't think we are all expecting an exegesis on each of our images. However, all I can really encourage is that you comment on as many as you can. I have been finding it quite easy to keep up presently - though I must say I am getting a real buzz out of some images already! Some are inspirational and others just give me great ideas for what I should try to improve. Also there is a world of difference between the thumbnail and the large image, so having opened it to spy the photo as intended by the photographer I find it only a small additional investment to write a quick (hopefully meaningful) comment.

To be honest my main intention with the insistence on comments was not only to build morale in our little community - and God knows we'll need it when we hit double figures.....But mainly that experience with other "Single in" challenges has taught me that I can learn even more from careful observation and the dialogue on other's photos as I do from reading those placed on my own.

But I understand if it all gets too hard and we degenerate into a repetition of "Nice shot", then the meaning and intent is lost for the commentator and the photographer. So I encourage persistence and to not lose focus on the pleasure and gain of the exercise.

Having said all of that, SC is a democracy and I do not rule this roost, but can only shape it from my subjective experience. So any other ideas or consensus on the subject is most welcome.

By the way Otto, so far it's easy....wait until Bob (Landshark) gets his wish and we open a SIJ "Spares" folder - for the shots that almost made the daily cut. Then we'd be looking at 2200 shots or more :eek: Curious that the Spares phenomenon seems to creep into each iteration of this challenge...;) Also happy to entertain it if others are keen...:polling:

I'm already finding it hard to keep up with the comments on my own photos, let alone keeping up with and commenting on others ... mostly I think because the Gallery isn't really designed for what we're doing with it; For future SingleIn challenges I wonder if it might be worth thinking again about a single thread in which people post their images (whether they are held on the gallery or at Flickr or wherever); or maybe there are other possible solutions (a blog plugin for the forum?) ... anyway, doesnt' have to be debated now, and no-one else might share my difficultly

Paul,

I'd like to hear from others before commenting.

Meanwhile, have you been electing to receive emails when comments are made on your photo? I did for day one and didn't for day two. My lesson is well learned and now I will always selected "Yes" to being notified by email when users post replies in Extra Options at the bottom of the upload page. This will help with the comments on your photos as you won't need to fish through to find comments they'll be sent to you with a hyperlink.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Meanwhile, keen for other opinions and options on the commentary workload.

Well, this is the first chance I have had to think about this. It's persisting it down outside, I have already had to chase the bins back from down the street. I'll go out in a bit for today's shot - should be "interesting"!

I am finding it hard to keep up with comments - in fact I have hardly made any so far! The gallery structure does not help, but I will make more of an effort and not blame the tool :)

I am thoroughly enjoying the "challenge" though. It's fair to say that if I didn't go to an event or something in January I would not normally get anywhere near 31 images. I'm enjoying my entirely self-imposed restriction of only shooting in HiBW too. It is making me work harder and look for the graphic shot that will suit the treatment. This is a bit of aversion therapy, I admit, since I am greatly taken with this mode and need to get it out of my system! :D

I'm also finding that I am being very selective. I took three photos on day 1, three on day 2 for the challenge. I like the austerity; I'm not big on shot-gunning a subject and this is suiting me. What I AM doing is spending a lot of time seeing, as opposed to just looking, and that can not be a bad thing.

The beginning of the SIJ coincided with our family vacation to Disneyworld. As you can imagine, I am shooting every day, and hopefully will have at least one shot per day that does not scream "tourist." I should start uploading on Saturday and should start commenting at that time as well.

Cheers,

Antonio

I like the gallery structure. I go to the SIJ gallery and click on the last image and work back till I come to one I have already seen or I run out of time. If nothing in the image strikes me immediately, I move on to the next. No doubt I am missing some images but that can't be helped. Keeping track of comments on my own pictures is more difficult and I will try the email notification thing.

Paul, email notification will let you know exactly what was written by each respondent. It's a very handy tool and should work just fine now that your email is back working with the site, again.

Also finding the commenting challenging. With so many images popping up its hard to leave comments on all of them and selecting some and not others seems a but arbitrary. Tricky. Perhaps a generic, 'well done everyone on making it to another day' would work.

I've found today to be the most difficult so far. I wanted to try and portray the rough weather we have had today in the UK. I ended up with 4 possible images, one being in both colour and black and white. I ended up posting what was the least dynamic and dullest, but I have a bit of a love affair with buses and was intending to post a shot featuring a bus, particularly as I intend to use the bus for one or two days of the SIJ, so it sort of did for that subject.
I then wanted to show wind and tried some slow speed shots up through tree branches, but in the end with a wide angle lens the movement was too insignificant and came across more as a technical fault, at least to my eyes. Likewise my other shot included some leaves that had moved when really I should have gardened them our before taking the shot, so there I felt that the blur was out of place in that particular shot, again something I judged as a technical fault. A shame because both shots have a higher dynamic range than the one I posted, still hopefully a lesson learned.

Barrie

I feel like I'm really falling behind. I usually block out a bunch of time to shoot on one or 2 days of the week and then process a few every day. This shooting every day (and processing, too) has monkeyed with my flow. ANd I'm really far behind in the comment race. Yikes. Time to walk the dogs and find something worth shooting.

I feel like I'm really falling behind. I usually block out a bunch of time to shoot on one or 2 days of the week and then process a few every day. This shooting every day (and processing, too) has monkeyed with my flow. ANd I'm really far behind in the comment race. Yikes. Time to walk the dogs and find something worth shooting.

Luke, whilst there is a requirement to shoot something every day, there is not a requirement to post every day, so you could at least save up your processing for once or twice a week.

Barrie

I'm taking time to look at every image but not necessarily commenting on all them right away. Some I have or will come back to for comments later.

Barrie i had similar ideas about motion blur and the wet day but all my motion blurs were accompanied by too much camera shake! So I went for the rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back