Single in January - So how's it going? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expected first couple of days to be easy since I'm off from work and have more time to take pictures. So I started off with a walk downtown Exeter with my X100 snapping away. Then I realized that the exposure comp was set to -2 :(. This seems to happen easily when I pull the camera in and out of the bag. So I retraced my steps to re-shoot some of the shots. A few minutes later I see the low battery warning start flashing :eek: It's easy to forget to check the basic things when you want to get going shooting :)

So for the second outing I will A) check exposure comp and B) check battery level and bring charged spare.

BTW, Mark, I've switched my camera choice to a Fujifilm X100 so maybe you can update the honor roll.

-Thomas

What with Church morning and evening, with a nap in between, I nearly forgot the "one-a-day". 10:00 PM I remembered and grabbed one of the wife, tired and nearly ready for bed, doing her email and facebook. I'll have to post it later.

....hope you get this before your Day One is out. So which 50mm, so I can add you to the Honour Roll mate?

Oh yeah so this might be the perfect time...which SC is top of your list? Or are you waiting for the outputs of SIJ to help you decide ;)[/QUOTE]
Thanks for letting me in with a serious streatching of the serious compact discription!
Yes, please add the Pentax 50mm f2.0 lens tied to the K20. Not my best lens, but the cheapest. $10.00 tied to Pentax P30 at local peddlers mall!

Day one is in the can and uploaded. I am pretty happy with the result.

For those who are not aware, I will be shooting the architecture of Yale University. Yale is located in New Haven, Connecticut, and it is not in one contiguous area. It is spread out throughout a large portion of New Haven and in many case borders some rather sketchy areas.

My point is chiefly that it can be dangerous toting large amounts of camera gear around. New Haven ranks 4th Most Dangerous City, behind Flint, Michigan, Detroit, Michigan, and St. Louis, Missouri based on FBI crime statistics from 2010. New Haven had 1,584 violent crimes per 100,000 people and 628 robberies for every 100,000 people in the city, triple the national average.

This is one of the reasons why I've gone to Mu 4/3. Smaller, easier to conceal and in the case of the E-PL3 it can almost be mistaken for a compact. There are other reasons such as my back is not what it used to be, and frankly I like the smaller form factor.

In any event, one of the things I have been looking for is a ** very ** compact and light tripod to match the smaller cameras. I have a Benro Travel Angel which is a full-height, relatively compact tripod. But at 19" folded and about five inches in diameter, it is still WAAAAAAY too big and heavy to tote around New haven, and it has on occasion garnered a certain amount of unwanted attention.

After a lot of research, I was just pretty much striking out. I walked into my favorite brick and mortar in Burlington, Vermont and they had these on display:

31mWyew8vSL._AA300_.jpg

See:

Amazon.com: Sirui T-005 Aluminum Tripod with C-10 Ball Head Kit (Black) Max Loading 8.8 Lbs: Camera & Photo

The photos do not do this tripod justice. It is very solid, has an Arca-compatible clamp and plate and is extremely compact. Its folded length is 11.8 in and its max height with column extended 51.4 in. (!!) I think the smallest segment on the legs is 1 cm. - better than my Benro. With the column retracted max height is 44.5in. It weighs less than two pounds and supposedly will support over 8 pounds.

At 11.8 inches, this thing will fit easily in my Timbuk2 small messenger, and yet at 51 inches of height, I am unlikely to feel especially limited by the height. I'll probably do a review on this thing after I've had a chance to use it more in the field, but I am certain overall that this is my new favorite tripod as it is in every way the perfect match in form factor to Mu 4/3.

They also have a Carbon Fiber version, though overall I do not think that is a necessity for me.

Anyway, thought I would share that, as well as a safety from yesterday... this is how the New year dawned in my back yard yesterday...

p271212792-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Got the first day and a safety back-up for the second, hopefully will get something before before the day is out. Top discovery - the camera fits in the pocket of my greatcoat.

Thanks for the tips (safety shot), hope everyone is still full of vim, vigour and enthusiasm!

(This framing with your feet is hard work by the way)

So far fine, but surprisingly it looks like it make take longer to write all the comments than to take the photos:rolleyes:

I agree about trying to make comments. Is there a place to post a "generic" comment rather than trying to post on each entry? That might get to be a bit much even though we may want to say something about all of them.

So far the majority of entries are very good. I expect we will all progress further as the days go on.

Good shooting everyone,

Don't worry Paul, rain and gales on the way, you won't have to suffer blue skies tomorrow morning :D

Barrie

It all turned out perfectly this afternoon, I got completely soaked in a sleet storm complete with "gale-lite" on top of a 800-foot chalk down, my trosuers were so wet my boots filled with water from the top then I had to walk 3 miles back to the car in freezing wind; I'm looking forward to the rest of January with some glee

Barrie - I'm staying under the duvet in that case ... (oh dear are we being too frivolous? This is after all SERIOUS Compacts)

BB - You are very welcome to laugh at my discomfiture ... though it was a gorgeous gorgeous day 'til that point ... I've only just warmed up again properly; still the day did yield some images I am very happy with and with which I shall shortly flood my Flickrstream ...

More substantially, I was reflecting as I walked that I had been looking at some of my shots from the first half of 2011 and being struck by how happy I was with many of them (well, to be honest, I was thinking, "Wow! some of these are just gorgeous" ;)) ... but also that my more recent stuff hasn't felt or looked as satisfying - in fact, feels rather stale and dull ... and then I realised that until August I was still doing my PAD, and was thus "forced" to think photographically at least once a day ... and I also noticed how much I was enjoying not just the air and the landscape but the snapping, and looking at each shot with the thought "this could be today's defining image ... is it good enough? What does this shot do?" ...

which is why I signed up for the challenge I suppose. and I'm glad I did.

Just getting ready to head out for the day, I have today off save for visiting the Hospital. I am taking only the GRD. And my nokia but I use that for a phone as well as a camera, LOL.

from the UK Met office, for whom it might concern

A spell of wet and very windy weather will affect the UK during Tuesday. The public should be aware of the possibility of disruption due to strong winds, e.g. to travel. The windiest conditions will mainly be during Tuesday morning, but, over northeastern Scotland also into the afternoon. A spell of heavy rain will also affect many regions, leading to localised flooding, and parts of northern Scotland will also be affected by snow.

The public is advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: Met Office: Severe weather impact links

Barrie

Reactions: BBW
from the UK Met office, for whom it might concern

A spell of wet and very windy weather will affect the UK during Tuesday. The public should be aware of the possibility of disruption due to strong winds, e.g. to travel. The windiest conditions will mainly be during Tuesday morning, but, over northeastern Scotland also into the afternoon. A spell of heavy rain will also affect many regions, leading to localised flooding, and parts of northern Scotland will also be affected by snow.

The public is advised to take extra care, further information and advice can be found here: Met Office: Severe weather impact links

Barrie
Well you guys keep safe now yo hear...and grab some snow images when you can, coming from a place where snow is so rare I find images that use it wisely the most compelling of all,

More substantially, I was reflecting as I walked that I had been looking at some of my shots from the first half of 2011 and being struck by how happy I was with many of them (well, to be honest, I was thinking, "Wow! some of these are just gorgeous" ;)) ... but also that my more recent stuff hasn't felt or looked as satisfying - in fact, feels rather stale and dull ... and then I realised that until August I was still doing my PAD, and was thus "forced" to think photographically at least once a day ... and I also noticed how much I was enjoying not just the air and the landscape but the snapping, and looking at each shot with the thought "this could be today's defining image ... is it good enough? What does this shot do?" ...

which is why I signed up for the challenge I suppose. and I'm glad I did.
Great news Paul!!! (y) I find the same thing with these PAD, but I find I do better working a group on them. I also like the honest diary accounts, such as your account here, and that go with our images - as it helps me better understand the mind of other photographers....which I confess is similar to the books I am drawn to.

Mark, is there anyone in northern Scotland that's engaged in the SIJ? I think that's the only area to be forecast snow. It's been very mild here so far this winter, but quite stormy at times, the challenge will be to show the 50-70mph winds that are forecast.

Barrie

....hope you get this before your Day One is out. So which 50mm, so I can add you to the Honour Roll mate?

Oh yeah so this might be the perfect time...which SC is top of your list? Or are you waiting for the outputs of SIJ to help you decide ;)
Thanks for letting me in with a serious streatching of the serious compact discription!
Yes, please add the Pentax 50mm f2.0 lens tied to the K20. Not my best lens, but the cheapest. $10.00 tied to Pentax P30 at local peddlers mall!

Honour roll has been updated Steve....though you'll have to also let me know which 50/2 - K, M, A?
Glad to have you on-board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back