Single in January - So how'd you go?

I finally uploaded my day 31 shot a few minutes ago. I would like to extend a special thanks to Mark for putting this together, and to the moderating team for keeping it together. Also a very big thank you to all who participated, to everyone who commented on the photos, and to all who had encouraging words along the way.

As to what I learned from the challenge, first and foremost I was able to confirm what I already suspected: that there are some phenomenally good photographers in Serious Compacts. What I did not know, was that you were able to produce such consistently excellent work day after day. My hat's off to you.

As for myself, I learned that it is possible to find beauty even in dark, drab places, if you look closely enough. I also learned that one body and one lens is enough (although it is nice to have some variety).

Again, thank you everybody for making this a worthwhile experience.

Cheers,

Antonio

I found it to be very motivating, having to focus on 'one' camera, my eyes opened. The Mundane became Magical.
Appreciate all the comments I got and wish I had the energy to return the favor.
Now my meds are working I plan to go back and comment fully.
In the Gear Head sense, I really found I preferred working with my XZ-1, the AF was so much more reliable at Night.
I will still shoot everyday, I hope we all can agree on a new PAD project...

hmmmm ... well ... the idea of taking a PAD and publishing it wasn't daunting, as I'd done a long PAD before at mu-43, plus I take pictures daily almost invariably; but I did wonder how it would go with the lens I selected.

I think that's the bit that made things slightly less fun than they could have been. When I go out the door, whether it's for work or leisure or just to go to the shops, I'll have a camera in my pocket. If I'm going out for leisure, I'll try to notice "how I'm seeing" and what quality the light has, and pick a lens & focal length based on that. So that luxury was denied me.
But of course that meant that I had to force my vision to suit my lens, and that meant I could often see good images that I wasn't able to capture ... well that's fine, I could just "see" the images and enjoy them! I'm not putting this very well ...

Another thing, I suppose, is that it is very clear that many of the photographers at SC are very skilled indeed ... and that added a competitive zing to posting every day, knowing that my image would be "up against" some real hot stuff.

The whole issue around commenting I found difficult. I really appreciated getting comments of any sort on my stuff. I know it became almost a point of obligation on some folks parts to post a comment to all images, but I couldn't bring myself to do so, even for images I liked quite a lot; I often wished there was a "thanks" button in the gallery.
The gallery doesn't lend itself easily to dialogue, as I said elsewhere, which left me a a bit frustrated.

I'm also annoyed with myself that I didn't suggest and start a "Single in January" Flickr group ... damn!

A challenge like this is really a lengthy workout for one's "imagic sense"; The odd filler shot popped in when a breather was needed, but mostly I noticed how very very few "dud" images got captured.

I do love it that Lili found the magical in the mundane.

Today ... I've taken three shots with the DP2s ... and I'm looking forward to using AF lenses again, and to using lenses which will close-focus (the Summicron like most RF lenses won't); and I've been looking out for a CL on which to mount the Summicron ... even though I shouldn't really be spending money ... and I've had an appointment confirmed to have a kidney stone hacked away from my living flesh ... so I'm really looking forward to that ...

I really enjoyed the experience of sharing in this exercise with you folks. I wasn't crazy about my selection of camera (or the selection of lens), but it was a pragmatic choice since I knew I was going on a vacation for a week and didn't want to bring a whole kit along. The kit lens acquitted itself well enough, but i do like having more control of DOF so it'll be good to get back shooting with primes lenses. And my old G1 still amazes me and quite frankly was beginning to feel like an extension of my hand.

I learned that I am still guilty of over-processing my images (not always, but still too often). I learned that there are a LOT of GREAT photographers here. By trying to comment on as many shots as I could, I think I helped to improve my eye (and hope it starts to show in my shots one day).

I'd like to send a personal thanks to Mark for starting this whole mess and BB for constant propping up and general support. I'd also like to thank those who found time to comment on images (whether they liked them or not) and I'd like to thank everyone who tried the SiJ for pushing themselves (and by that very effort pushing me along, too). I found inspiration in words and photos (wow....some devastatingly beautiful photos). I think I'm more of a guy who likes to play with cameras than I am a photographer, but after seeing the shots you all created this month I will continue to work towards becoming the latter without apologizing for being the former.

Now I'm off to spend some quality time with my other cameras.

Flickr: Lukinosity's Photostream

I enjoyed this month a lot. Definitely made me take some shots I would not have attempted otherwise. Learned that life intervenes and steels your time so you have little time to take photos, post and comment. Also learned that the primary goal was to take one pic a day and that part really doesn't require that much time as long as you have a camera with you at all times. Smaller is better, for portability but it seems that a slightly larger APS-C sensor camera has much better protection against blown highlights compared to a small sensor one.

Actually took my GRD III out today and quickly became aware of its shortcomings compared to the X100 that I used for SIJ. Here is today's shot of a big camera rig street shooter in Harvard Square in Cambridge, MA.

SIF-trisberg-Day-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Probably won't continue to shoot every single day, but Ill definitely try to make it every other :)

-Thomas

I liked the sharing bit. A lot. I made me feel more part of this community than lots of time lurking ever made me feel. :D Tomorrow will be the first day available to me to do some photography in a few days, and I'm curious how well I can see 12 and 45, now I've used 25 so much. I also feel liberated in a way that now I can shoot, and choose whether or not I'll do something with the results. The necessity to deliver each day took the fun out of photography a bit for me. A PAD is not easy for me, or so it seems. But still, I found it an experience I wouldn't have wanted to miss, and I'd like to thank those investing a lot of time making this happen, and those who took the effort to keep the comments coming. I didn't post my images to get comments, but I always was mighty pleased to receive them.

Well I'm glad it's all over, it's been fun on the days I've had time to enjoy taking photographs and a bind on the days that I haven't. I really like my GRDiii and will continue to enjoy using it, but it's time to dust down my other cameras and take them back out to play. I really appreciate the comments I have received, but found myself overwhelmed trying to balance work, capturing my own picture each day and then commenting on other's pictures. For those who did throughout the challenge I commend your stamina. Now I have time, I will be going over everyone's pics and commenting on the ones I've missed. I've never replied back to any comments on my pictures, like Paul (pdh) I don't think the gallery's commenting works for any real meaningful dialogue. I have been impressed by the quality of pictures and the imagination shown under the time pressures of this challenge. Well done everyone who took part.

I wanted to chime as I couldn't complete the challenge for the whole month, hopefully others "Single in XXX" are coming soon. I believe the level of photographic excellence was amazing and I must say I learned quite a few things here and there from just observing the image repository. I wanted to thank everyone who viewed and commented on my images - "Gracias" [thanks] and I look forward to more of these.

Cheers,
JL

I have finally gotten around to posting about my experience during the challenge.

I enjoyed it immensely throughout the whole month and never once found it to be a chore as has happened in the past when I have completed similar challenges. The strange thing is that I sat my camera down on the 1st February and then had no desire at all to pick it up again until recently. I hardly visited any photography forums or read anything to do with photography during that period which is unusual for me as this hobby is bordering on obsession at times and there is hardly an evening where I am found without some form of literature in hand normally.

So..... I did what any self respecting photographer would do in this situation: sold everything and upgraded to the next model ;)
Kind of defeats the purpose of the challenge though.

Back