Single in January - First resolution for 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not sure about doing this, as I suspect I'd be one of the first to fall off the wagon. It probably doesn't help that the cameras that I want to use (either the 50D + Sigma 30/1.4 or E-510 + PL 14-50/2.8-3.5) are probably the least likely to make the 31 days due to their size. Something smaller like the E-PL1 and 20/1.7 doesn't really seem to fit the challenge since I already use that combination with alarming regularity anyway. I'm still thinking about it...

Still not sure about doing this, as I suspect I'd be one of the first to fall off the wagon. It probably doesn't help that the cameras that I want to use (either the 50D + Sigma 30/1.4 or E-510 + PL 14-50/2.8-3.5) are probably the least likely to make the 31 days due to their size. Something smaller like the E-PL1 and 20/1.7 doesn't really seem to fit the challenge since I already use that combination with alarming regularity anyway. I'm still thinking about it...
Nic, mate it would be gold to have you along for this ride. I'd be happy for you to use the ol' Faithful Oly/Pan combo if it sees you showing off its, and your, versatility over a protracted and consistent period. Otherwise, happy to help you chose a combo ;)....Looking at your SigBlock - you outlined the Canon and the Olympus, so what do you have in a Panasonic nowadays mate?

Well, there's my GH1 which does a lot of things very well but doesn't have a great deal of personality. A few weeks ago I also picked up a cheap GF1 so that I could finally try one out for myself, but sadly I'm fairly sure that it's not love and it might be for sale before the end of January. Still, it might be a chance to get to know it better. That would still leave a lens to be determined...

Well, there's my GH1 which does a lot of things very well but doesn't have a great deal of personality. A few weeks ago I also picked up a cheap GF1 so that I could finally try one out for myself, but sadly I'm fairly sure that it's not love and it might be for sale before the end of January. Still, it might be a chance to get to know it better. That would still leave a lens to be determined...
Mate, I've fallen for my GF1. Maybe give it a go for January and if you like it then there's always the GX-1 calling ;)....I put you down on the roll with the breed of Panny pending. Don't hapen to have the 12/2 or 45/1.8 do you....'coz that would be sweeeeet.

One minor correction: I was not able to find Kodak New Portra 800, so I will shoot Fujifilm Pro 800Z instead.
No worries Pavel. Updated!

Yes, I first I thought this was "Dating Dot Com"
Nah, more a longer-term relationship...but with an end in sight. So you keen Doug? Maybe take that new Fuji for a run...

Ooo! I need to ask you to update my camera of choice to the Fuji X10 and I will choose 28mm.:th_salute:

P.S. On second thought, since zooms are allowed, I'd like to leave myself open to use other focal lengths since I so rarely do.

Yes, I mentioned elsewhere that I decided to "re-buy" the X10. I missed it once I'd sent it back, as did its older sibling...they're very close you know.:D

Less than a week to go...and counting...

Well folks we've done mighty well with the pledges so far. We have 30 folks signed up for SIJ (Single in January)....I know, I know, this sort of nomenclature will get mighty confusing come June and July :blush:

Please be sure to check the roll and ensure that I have your details down correct. Also can I have those folks that are still tentative with their choices (appearing as bold and italicised) to let us know which way they are leaning in the next few days please.

If you're having a change of mind, with your set-up for the month, then please let us know here and I'll update. No dramas at all, as I'd expect a few changes as the heart beats faster towards the lead-up.

If you're having a change of heart, thinking that you mightn't have the time or stamina to go through with SIJ, then also please let us know here....and we'll see how well our support network is functioning :grouphug:

Now it's getting exciting! :whoo:

P.S. I'll confess to worrying a little about having to come up with a photo every day that I actually like.

I'm worried about coming up with a photo a day, let alone one I like :). This winter has been characterised by a distinct lack of sunshine, endless grey days. At least the sun does rise above the horizon, even if we don't see it, I couldn't stand weeks of darkness, but it could be a struggle to inject life into ones subject.

Barrie

ah Barrie that's when it most concentrates the photographic mind ... managing a limited palette

I did a PAD for a year and one good lesson i learned was that not every image has to be a Kertesz (or a Hosking) ...

Yes, I guess that's why it's called a challenge :). As you know Paul I'm more of a naturalist than I am a photographer, so I'll be out of my comfort zone in all sorts of ways, but equally I'll be out of the house, at least some of the time and that's part of the reason for doing it.

Barrie

Well, that's how I feel, too, Barrie...but I'm going to try. I think maybe we have to give ourselves some slack...and try out different approaches? For example, although I live within walking distance of a town and have access to a variety of different street scenes, I rarely go out "looking" for photographs, instead if I am wise enough to have my camera with me and I see something - I make the picture. I've been thinking of getting myself to go "on safari" more...and will hope that maybe I'll come up with something worth looking at...

For example, this week's WC has been a real challenge to me. My travels have been rather limited and but when I saw a sign on the highway, it made me laugh...because I felt that the sentiment at the top was a bit how I feel after the holiday gatherings...so I fooled around with the image and did the best I could...not in love with it, but hopefully someone else will get my humor. If nothing else, I have participated in The WC. So, I'm going to try hard not to feel to persecuted by the Single In, but I know I'm going to need help!

I hope Brian Mosely will join us in this one because he's an old hand at the Photo A Day genre.:drinks:

Barrie, what's the worst we can do? Right?;)

P.S. Good points, Paul. Sorry I'd missed your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back