Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 11-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eeek! Rain sweeping across the country on high winds is not a recipe for success but I hung on and went for a walk round and about the West End/Universities. I've yet to look at the images I captured - you'll all be the first to see them. ;)

Fun ride so far, but I have noticed a large drop in image views this time around. Maybe it is just that there are less people on the site in general now with all of the dedicated sites.

Fun ride so far, but I have noticed a large drop in image views this time around. Maybe it is just that there are less people on the site in general now with all of the dedicated sites.

And it's a pity, IMO. I'm circulating constantly between PL, FujiXspot and even the mu43 (because it's the most active of them all). Just wondering, could we just live together on one site? No? Yes?

I'd love to have the sites combines into one big brand agnostic site. That's why I still prefer this one over mu43, although most of my cameras are that. But hey, whatever works for Amin.
I like the ride as well, although I'm still not in love with my chosen focal length. Shooting safeties has proven to be key to me.

I've just finished uploading my weeks' pics. I found it tough even though I've been away and the weather was great. I missed a couple of days due to travelling and also posted some rubbish pictures I wouldn't normally have. Hopefully I got them in the right order (not of rubbishyness!) The Leica began to play up on the 10th evening, both evf and back screen gave me wide black and white stripes in varying degrees, one completely underexposed picture and one with only half an exposure so I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last. I've been waiting until after the Christmas rush to send it away to have the sensor looked at in any case so this might prompt me to speed that up in which case I'll switch to the original plan which was the A7R and the Contax G 45mm. I'll try to catch up with viewing and commenting as time allows :)

I'm still here as well and enjoying this challenge quite a bit actually. I'm really happy with choosing my Epl-5 and 40-150mm, but one thing I have realized with the m4/3 sensor is that the images doesn't hold up well to some good PP bashing haha. The Fuji seems to be able to handle quite a bit of PP but Sony keeps me wanting one of those A7's! I still need to grab a shot for today and I need to process some from yesterday but ATM its time to workout, so I'll get stuff posted later tonight.

I am finding the one camera (Coolpix A) a good tool. And because of this challenge, I have learned a lot about how use settings I might have not paid much attention to otherwise. So it has been a good thing. I might continue on with the one camera lens rule in Feb on my own just to see what I can do with the self imposed restriction.

Not a good start to the mid-third so far for me :( Only managed to take a few shots - combination of busy schedule and miserable weather. I'll have to see what comes from some PPing. I'm really enjoying the variety of photos so far (well the 1/2 that aren't from gloomy winter!! :)) My experience so far with the K-01 and 40 mm kit is that it's a very convenient combo ... and the files take a good beating in post.

there are some giant snowflakes falling in slow motion right now. I think I'm gonna try a mid-air macro by focusing manually at minimum distance and chasing some flakes. I'll look like a lunatic if the neighbors see me. But if I get the shot I am imagining, it MIGHT be cool. But first, I need to finish this cup of coffee. :coffee:

I noticed that the 56 at f1.2 got me a lot of extra flakes also in focus, along with people crossing the street (etc) last week. That was a nice bonus.

Still out and about, looking for something of interest. :)

My weapon of choice, for SIJ 2015. Click on it to enlarge.

G1_and_OM_50.jpg

Due to failing eyesight, I had to mostly give up my favorite manual focus lenses, for every day use. But, a month or two ago, I found a stellar copy, of the Olympus OM 50mm, F1.8, at the local flea market for $5.00. Then, I bought the Panasonic G5. The VF is good enough, that I can manual focus once more! So this combo is my weapon of choice for SIJ. And the focal length is mostly, working quite well.

But, that being said, I don't like the G5. It is inferior to the G1 in build quality and ergonomics. And, if you can live with ISO 100, the G1 is no slouch at imagery either, as this one of the G5 and OM 50mm illustrates, taken with it and the Panasonic 20mm, wide open. But the G1 VF is just not good enough for everyday use, for manual focus. At least for me.

Probably the wrong place to post this. But, if so, just ignore it.

Go get um'! :yahoo:

Been a bit down in the dumps for the last couple of days, not going anywhere, couldn't think of anything to photograph at all. But it's started snowing now and the forecast is for a few inches overnight so there should be something tomorrow morning :)
On the downside my satellite link has gone AWOL so I'm relying on the ADSL connection which is pathetically slow.
But back on the plus side I think I've decided that the 35mm is not for me and I may be about to swap it plus a small consideration for an X100....I've been hankering after one of those for so long it's really about time I just went for it!

Since getting home I've barely touched the Leica. The A7R even with manual focus, seems like a dream to use in comparison! I've managed to get only one picture today from the Leica to fulfil the requirement!

Oddly, the more I use my Nikon1 gear, the less I like it. I like the images from it well enough, but I don't much like *it*. I think its all going, after the end of the month. On another note, I've continued to fight with my GRD to persuade it to work and yesterday, quite spontaneously, it did. Now I need to decide whether to revert to that, or continue with the Nikon. I think the latter, because the GRD is likely to barf again. I want a GR, instead. That will come later this year.

All most half way through the month and I'm feeling very content with my choice of gear.
Ok it's a little chunky but the focal length i chose seems to have made seeing a little easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back