Single in January 2015 - How's the ride? (Days 1-10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up around 6 this morning hoping to go out and get a shot of the river with either a sunrise or snow coming down, as they were calling for snow yesterday. But apparently it didn't get as cold as they thought it would so it was and is still raining. At this point I'd rather have snow than rain, seen too much rain over the summer. :(

Back home. Finally I'll be able to see what shots I took in the first three days with new gear in a focal length that isn't mine. I partly hate myself for limiting myself to 150 equiv, when I usually shoot 35 or 50. On the other hand, three days later I find myself looking for 150 shots when looking around. So I guess this is helpful in getting to know the new lens, and that's my reason for limiting myself.

A dreary day here again today. I took today's pictures really not intending to use them for the SiJ shot but it looks as though I may have to as it's pitch dark now! Little Ro wanted me to take some photos of Little B "helping" in the kitchen (most unhygienic) whilst she baked, this was for her blog page. She didn't like any of them in any case :(

So who can guide me through the process of removing those sensor dust spots from my day 3 image?

I don't want to make a pig's ear of it.

What software do you use? Does it have a "spot removal" tool? If your software doesn't have it there is a free open source app called "darktable" that's useful - darktable - the photo workflow software. It has a spot removal tool but it might take some time to get familiar with using it. I tried your picture and it cleaned up pretty well.

-Thomas

What software do you use? Does it have a "spot removal" tool? If your software doesn't have it there is a free open source app called "darktable" that's useful - darktable - the photo workflow software. It has a spot removal tool but it might take some time to get familiar with using it. I tried your picture and it cleaned up pretty well.

-Thomas

Thanks Thomas, I use LR 5.7 but have never used the spot removal tool before. I should do a little reading before I jump in.

Thanks Thomas, I use LR 5.7 but have never used the spot removal tool before. I should do a little reading before I jump in.

Spot removal with LR4 onwards is a doddle - I'm even self-taught with it....and that's saying tons (as I'd be Amish if we had them here in Australia ;)) LR picks the right spot for your Heal or Clone by default 80% of the time. Of course, the beauty with LR is you can return to any stage in your processing - via History - and start from where you were most comfortable....you can't go wrong really. Best of luck.

Only 3 days gone by, I know the hard part is yet to come, but it's been a lot of fun so far.

It's really good to have a goal to deliver at least one picture and not needing to think about the equipment to use. Also, having feedback on the gallery comments is very helpful, motivates me to try to improve for the next one.

José

Only 3 days gone by, I know the hard part is yet to come, but it's been a lot of fun so far.

It's really good to have a goal to deliver at least one picture and not needing to think about the equipment to use. Also, having feedback on the gallery comments is very helpful, motivates me to try to improve for the next one.

José

Great news José...SiJ is delivering as intended. Yes it will get harder, but there is no reward without effort. On that note a big thanks to everyone who is taking the time to comment on our images. I know it can be daunting - esp. for those out of time-zone who wake to 30 images or so. Again noting that if we all complete this challenge we'll have looked at around 1400 images, but please don't let this deter you. According to my research you are accosted with more than that amount of images each day thanks to advertisers. And for me, learning to look at photographs is as educational as learning to make photographs....sometimes even better - as making teaches me a little more about me, where the looking teaches me more about me and others outside of me who share my passion.

Anyway early days but good to be orientated right is my opinion...

Ride on!!!!

Well, today wasn't good... I got a shot - two, in fact - but haven't posted either yet and it's getting late here. I'll play catch-up tomorrow - I know how hard it gets if you fall three or four days behind.

I just clicked on the "My Photos" button a got an error message - "You have set the product "photopost" to use a different database than your forums. However, the script cannot connect to this other database. Please check your database settings." I saw Amin was on-line, hopefully he is fixing this.

I'll be doing a double post tomorrow. My cousin was in town and we went down by the river and took quite a few shots. So I'll process one for today and take a picture tomorrow and process it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back